Sponsored

Anybody have any idea how to wire up the new flex era 3 dual modes to the upfitter switches?

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm thinking about getting the kc flex era 3 dual mode lights, but can't figure out how I could wire it to the upfitter switches to run both modes. I have attached the wiring diagram. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not worried about running out of switches, so I was figuring I would use two of them (one for each mode), but I'm not sure if that would work.

Ok, I guess the attachment won't work. Here is the link below. https://images.salsify.com/image/upload/s--8ZrYyPAU--/luacl0fmlrtkxnwfwnyn
Sponsored

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Check with Adam @4x4TruckLEDs.com - they are the go-to source for lighting questions and may have a ready-made harness for your situation.

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm thinking about getting the kc flex era 3 dual mode lights, but can't figure out how I could wire it to the upfitter switches to run both modes. I have attached the wiring diagram. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not worried about running out of switches, so I was figuring I would use two of them (one for each mode), but I'm not sure if that would work.

Ok, I guess the attachment won't work. Here is the link below. https://images.salsify.com/image/upload/s--8ZrYyPAU--/luacl0fmlrtkxnwfwnyn
I would cut the wires at the end of the harness before they attach to the relay and wire as follows:
- Attach the 2 black wires (one from each light) to a grounding point on the vehicle
- Attach the 2 red wires (one from each light) to a single aux switch wire - I believe this will be your white light
- Attach the 2 white wires (one from each light) to a single aux switch wire - I believe this will be your fog/back light

NB - the specifications of the lights amperage wasn’t included in the instruction sheet but assuming a pair of LED lights don’t draw more than 10 amps is you can wire to any Aux switch. If more than 10 amps, wire per the Aux switch ratings.

Post up pics when complete & good luck!

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would cut the wires at the end of the harness before they attach to the relay and wire as follows:
- Attach the 2 black wires (one from each light) to a grounding point on the vehicle
- Attach the 2 red wires (one from each light) to a single aux switch wire - I believe this will be your white light
- Attach the 2 white wires (one from each light) to a single aux switch wire - I believe this will be your fog/back light

NB - the specifications of the lights amperage wasn’t included in the instruction sheet but assuming a pair of LED lights don’t draw more than 10 amps is you can wire to any Aux switch. If more than 10 amps, wire per the Aux switch ratings.

Post up pics when complete & good luck!
Really appreciate that write up! I'll definitely keep everyone posted if I decide to get them.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Check with Adam @4x4TruckLEDs.com - they are the go-to source for lighting questions and may have a ready-made harness for your situation.
Sorry we don't make a harness for those. KC does things weird and has a different type of connector that other companies don't use. For that reason, it's not worth making a harness for. We honestly don't sell or see KC out there anymore these days

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry we don't make a harness for those. KC does things weird and has a different type of connector that other companies don't use. For that reason, it's not worth making a harness for. We honestly don't sell or see KC out there anymore these days
I appreciate you replying to this thread though. I know KC is old school and not one of the major led brands on the market, but I'm gonna give them a try anyway. Love my diode dynamics kit from you guys though!

For anyone else looking at this thread, here is the wiring diagram KC shows and it looks like the amp draw is less than 5 for either the fog or the combo setting.

Ford Bronco Anybody have any idea how to wire up the new flex era 3 dual modes to the upfitter switches? Screenshot_20221228-163439
Ford Bronco Anybody have any idea how to wire up the new flex era 3 dual modes to the upfitter switches? Screenshot_20221228-164254~2

I am knowledgeable, but not an expert in wiring, and I don't have any concerns about how it was written up earlier in the thread about how to wire it but I was going to ask a stupid question. That relay in the middle is to send the 12v to either just one or both of the lights (fog and spot), right? I also don't understand why this is at the top of the install instructions, so any opinions are welcome. 160w and 40a? Seems like overkill, but I'm guessing that's just the rating of the wiring and the fuse?
Ford Bronco Anybody have any idea how to wire up the new flex era 3 dual modes to the upfitter switches? Screenshot_20221228-163953

EDIT...I'm now concerned that the red wire to the lamps actually connect to both the fog and spot lights internally, while the white wires only connect to the fog lights. If that's true, I may just need to cancel my order because I dont think I could use two switches then since there would be a possibility I could try to power the fog lights from two separate 12v sources at the same time unless I made sure to flip one switch off before turning on the other one. I'm going to try and talk to KC tomorrow, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

KC is still used heavily in the offroad world and they are huge here in Socal. Most people running offroad lights are either KC or Baja Design but other brands are surely starting to emerge recently.
With that said, KC uses a 3-way rocker switch to power their lights. Center position is off, lower position is backlighting, upper position is actual light.

Unfortunately the upfitter switches do not have a 3 way function so you will have to use two switches independently. I have seen others wire the backlighting circuit to their headlights so if the low beams are on, the backlighting is also on then they just use one switch to activate the light.

If you are using the harness that KC provides, you will use the portion that connects the lights together to one cable and snip it right before the relay, split the harness open to access the individual cables and attach them to their appropriate location.

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

KC is still used heavily in the offroad world and they are huge here in Socal. Most people running offroad lights are either KC or Baja Design but other brands are surely starting to emerge recently.
With that said, KC uses a 3-way rocker switch to power their lights. Center position is off, lower position is backlighting, upper position is actual light.

Unfortunately the upfitter switches do not have a 3 way function so you will have to use two switches independently. I have seen others wire the backlighting circuit to their headlights so if the low beams are on, the backlighting is also on then they just use one switch to activate the light.

If you are using the harness that KC provides, you will use the portion that connects the lights together to one cable and snip it right before the relay, split the harness open to access the individual cables and attach them to their appropriate location.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I also confirmed the same with KC this morning, so I'm good to go once I get the lights and I'll give my impressions once I have them on as well. I was just overthinking it with the switch they run in the kit (along with the relay).

Last edited:

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I also confirmed the same with KC this morning, so I'm good to go once I get the lights and I'll give my impressions once I have them on as well. I was just overthinking it with the switch they run in the kit (along with the relay).
Their provided wiring harness does look intimidating when you first see it. There are wires everywhere. It is all set up for their relay harness so you pull power from the battery instead of the fuse box.

I have always just cut their harness, skip their relay, and wire the lights directly to my switches - either the Bronco upfitter switches or the Spod in my ZR2.

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Okay, just wanted to give an update and also ask a question. I will include some pictures later, but I was able to wire everything up to two of the switches, but they do not quite behave the way I thought they would so I need some input.

I have the white wires going to one switch and the red wires going to another with the ground shared at the chassis. When I flip one switch, the fog lights come on by themselves. Check. I then flip that switch off and flip the other switch, and BOTH the fog lights and the spot lights come on. This matches what the behavior of the two positions on the kc switch would be doing. It's a bit annoying as I thought it would just be the spot beam by itself, but it's fine.

My concern is what would happen if I had just the fog switch on and then turned the other upfitter switch on? Would it blow something since there would be two 12v sources going to the fog light beam? This is where my electrical knowledge is lacking, so any help is appreciated.

I assume if I just make sure to operate the switches independently, I should be fine, but I'm just trying to safeguard against the scenario where both switches would get thrown. Anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsored