Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So my Bronco went into production last week and has an expected delivery date of 9/2 (fingers crossed).

Wondering if there are any Tacoma lovers that made the switch to Bronco that can comment on their experience so far -

I have a 2017 TRD Off-road, double cab, manual moving to a 4 door Big Bend 2.3 with tow package, hardtop, locking diff, and manual so very similar builds in terms of overall capability.

Things I don't like about the Tacoma:
- Gas mileage (only getting about 16-17 mpg with stock size 31"s General Grabber AT2s)
- Overall cabin size is a bit tight (expecting our first kid soon so also factoring car seat, etc)
- Seats/seating position not the most comfortable on long hauls
- No Android Auto/Carplay
- V6 power is underwhelming; max torque is only 265 all the way up at 4600 rpms
- Generally, just not very exciting to drive

Things I love about the Tacoma:
- Looking at it/overall styling
- Build quality/zero issues whatsoever over 5 years of ownership (knock on wood)
- Established Aftermarket and availability of parts
- The convenience of the bed when I need it
- Easily being able to transport multiple kayaks, mountain bikes, etc without hooking up my trailer
- It's paid off with 58,000 miles

6 pros and 6 cons haha. I'm hoping to get around $33k for my Tacoma, and the Bronco after tax and such will come in around $43k (I'm price protected before last increase). I guess I'm starting to question whether the Bronco is actually worth dropping the extra $10ish k for. Would love to get any prior Tacoma owners' review of their whole Bronco experience so far - particularly the good and bad in terms of comparing the two vehicles. Thanks!
Sponsored

Broncos 4 evah

Black Diamond
First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've got a 2018 TRD with 65k on the clock. My 2dr BD sasquatch was built on 8/9.
As soon as it gets here, I am kicking the Taco down the road. Not because I don't like it but because I cannot flat tow it behind my RV.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜17 4Runner, ā€˜16 BMW 328i, ā€˜96 Stang GT, ā€˜19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not a Tacoma but I trad3d in my 2017 4Runner. I muscled my Bronco up over my Toyota with Sasquatch, aux switches and modular bumper. I absolutely loved my 4Runner and had planned on going to 300k with it. Made it to 100k with no mechanical issues, just regular maintenance. That said, I love every single important thing about my Bronco over my Toyota so far.

It gets looks and attention and starts conversations every day, if thatā€™s important to you. Everyone in AZ has a 4Runner or Tacoma. Ford just nailed the look of the Bronco. My interior is wayyyy better, my Toyota was bare bones. I do have the big screen, and I donā€™t know how I lived without Carplay.

The ride, acceleration, handling and braking, is so much better. I do a lot of trips up into the AZ mountains north of Phoenix, and the 4Runner always felt like I was fighting wind and curves, almost that feeling of tipping. Never in the Bronco. Itā€™s a joy to drive. Much better than my old Wrangler too. Much. And the seats have been so comfortable for both around town and long trips. After a trip to CA I could barely walk for a few minutes after my 4Runner for 7 hrs. I thought I was just old. When I did it in the Bronco, I realized later I didnā€™t have that issue at all.

Gas mileage is a bit better in the Bronco. I have the 2.7L and love it. Smiles per mile, way higher.

I have 3 grown kids (high school and college) and weā€™ve had all five of us inside and room was fine. Better than 4Runner or Wrangler. My daughter is 5ā€™-10ā€ and sons 6ā€™ to 6ā€™-3ā€, so thatā€™s saying something. Iā€™m 6ā€™-1ā€ and this may be the first car Iā€™ve had where I have to have my seat half way forward instead of fully back.

I think you may miss the bed if youā€™re a pickup type person, but my lifestyle never requires something I canā€™t tow or put on a rack. with my family size, Iā€™d rather the space be enclosed. I also expect we will both miss the quality of the Toyota. First time in a long time I got a big extended warranty. But Iā€™ve come to realize while my Toyota was like a dependable spouse, my Bronco is like a smoking hot girlfriend šŸ¤£

Youā€˜re also at the likely end of being able to sell your used vehicles for big money, and if youā€™re locked into a fair MSRP new Bronco itā€™s a good time to trade out. I was able to get what I bought my 4Runner for in trade, which also knocked my sales taxes down $2800 here in AZ.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You're going to be so much happier. The taco troubles for me were two: horrible seats/seating position, and gear hunting on the road using cruise. Bronco seats are amazing, and no gear hunting.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
You're going to be so much happier. The taco troubles for me were two: horrible seats/seating position, and gear hunting on the road using cruise. Bronco seats are amazing, and no gear hunting.
No "gear hunting" on the manual. ;-)

Bronco seats are definately more comfortable than the Taco. Toyota has this wierd "sedan-like" seating.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, I kept my Taco to do things the Bronco doesn't. I guess as long as you have another truck, you won't miss it, but I can't imagine life without a truck altogether.

It is pretty funny though driving them both in the same day. Both 4cyl manuals. The Bronco is a rocket ship compared to all 168 horses of the Tacoma.

My Taco has seen a lot of action over the years in the backcountry of Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and BC, but I feel the Bronco will start doing that work.

OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not a Tacoma but I trad3d in my 2017 4Runner. I muscled my Bronco up over my Toyota with Sasquatch, aux switches and modular bumper. I absolutely loved my 4Runner and had planned on going to 300k with it. Made it to 100k with no mechanical issues, just regular maintenance. That said, I love every single important thing about my Bronco over my Toyota so far.

It gets looks and attention and starts conversations every day, if thatā€™s important to you. Everyone in AZ has a 4Runner or Tacoma. Ford just nailed the look of the Bronco. My interior is wayyyy better, my Toyota was bare bones. I do have the big screen, and I donā€™t know how I lived without Carplay.

The ride, acceleration, handling and braking, is so much better. I do a lot of trips up into the AZ mountains north of Phoenix, and the 4Runner always felt like I was fighting wind and curves, almost that feeling of tipping. Never in the Bronco. Itā€™s a joy to drive. Much better than my old Wrangler too. Much. And the seats have been so comfortable for both around town and long trips. After a trip to CA I could barely walk for a few minutes after my 4Runner for 7 hrs. I thought I was just old. When I did it in the Bronco, I realized later I didnā€™t have that issue at all.

Gas mileage is a bit better in the Bronco. I have the 2.7L and love it. Smiles per mile, way higher.

I have 3 grown kids (high school and college) and weā€™ve had all five of us inside and room was fine. Better than 4Runner or Wrangler. My daughter is 5ā€™-10ā€ and sons 6ā€™ to 6ā€™-3ā€, so thatā€™s saying something. Iā€™m 6ā€™-1ā€ and this may be the first car Iā€™ve had where I have to have my seat half way forward instead of fully back.

I think you may miss the bed if youā€™re a pickup type person, but my lifestyle never requires something I canā€™t tow or put on a rack. with my family size, Iā€™d rather the space be enclosed. I also expect we will both miss the quality of the Toyota. First time in a long time I got a big extended warranty. But Iā€™ve come to realize while my Toyota was like a dependable spouse, my Bronco is like a smoking hot girlfriend šŸ¤£

Youā€˜re also at the likely end of being able to sell your used vehicles for big money, and if youā€™re locked into a fair MSRP new Bronco itā€™s a good time to trade out. I was able to get what I bought my 4Runner for in trade, which also knocked my sales taxes down $2800 here in AZ.
Thanks! Yeah the trade/purchase situation with taxes would be same for me just hoping the dealer doesn't low ball on trade thinking I'll bail and they might get to keep my order - will get a few offers ahead of time just in case. Agreed, bed is nice but I have a trailer at my disposal if I really need the extra space... I use it 1/2 the time over the short bed anyways.

TK-421

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Had a 2017 TRD Sport crew cab. Drove 1100 miles to trade it in for the Bronco. Was stiff and creaky after the drive up. After the drive back, I couldā€™ve kept going another hundred easy. So I quickly went from thinking ā€œIā€™m getting oldā€ to ā€œTacoma seats are awful.ā€

My Taco didnā€™t just bowl me over in terms of plush opulence and stellar quality, at least not to the point that justifies the cost.

The Bronco is more fun and way more comfortable for me, and I donā€™t need a pickup. So for me, Iā€™m very happy to have made the switch.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks! Yeah the trade/purchase situation with taxes would be same for me just hoping the dealer doesn't low ball on trade thinking I'll bail and they might get to keep my order - will get a few offers ahead of time just in case. Agreed, bed is nice but I have a trailer at my disposal if I really need the extra space... I use it 1/2 the time over the short bed anyways.
For trade value, get a few quotes from Carmax and the like and have them with you when you head to the dealership. You can always count on dealerships to lowball you on any trade.

I have a 2021 Tacoma TRD OR and a 2021 Bronco in the driveway. The power seats available in the 2019+ Tacoma were a game changer for me, I couldnā€™t drive it without them. The seats in the Bronco are much better. If I had to choose to own only one of these as a daily driver Iā€™d have a hard time selling the Tacoma. It does everything at a 7 out of 10 score, but it does everything from daily driving to towing my 6K boat to handling the off-roading I need to do. My 2 door Bronco is awesome to drive, but the small size of the 2 door and the limited tow capacity means itā€™s my fun truck. Fortunately I donā€™t have to choose just one.

OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For trade value, get a few quotes from Carmax and the like and have them with you when you head to the dealership. You can always count on dealerships to lowball you on any trade.

I have a 2021 Tacoma TRD OR and a 2021 Bronco in the driveway. The power seats available in the 2019+ Tacoma were a game changer for me, I couldnā€™t drive it without them. The seats in the Bronco are much better. If I had to choose to own only one of these as a daily driver Iā€™d have a hard time selling the Tacoma. It does everything at a 7 out of 10 score, but it does everything from daily driving to towing my 6K boat to handling the off-roading I need to do. My 2 door Bronco is awesome to drive, but the small size of the 2 door and the limited tow capacity means itā€™s my fun truck. Fortunately I donā€™t have to choose just one.
Yeah I plan on making rounds this week for offers - might see what Toyata would give too since they have no inventory. My Bronco will be a 4 door so it's a little tougher to compare the daily usability to the doublecab. I do wish Bronco had higher towing capacity, but I only pull a single axle trailer rated at 3000 lbs anyways so should be fine for that - no boat for me again until I retire! lol

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No "gear hunting" on the manual. ;-)

Bronco seats are definately more comfortable than the Taco. Toyota has this wierd "sedan-like" seating.
Oh, then... You'll love the power of the 4 bang,especially with a stick. I drove a 4 door 10 speed at a rodeo, assuming it was the 6,only to learn after that it was the 4. With the 10 speed. So much power.

emoty-c

Big Bend
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco?
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I went from 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport w aftermarket Bilsteins to '21 Ranger Tremor to 4 DR BL Hi/Lux Bronco 2.7 L (yesterday). The Ranger was a huge step up from the Tacoma in speed, suspension, comfort and tech. I have only driven the Bronco on highway and street for now (waiting for the weekend) but I can say the Bronco drives more like the Tacoma re: suspension, and the pick up is much better than the Tacoma. I gotta be honest - the Ranger is punchier and handles better on road (blame the larger tires on the BL).

I didn't love the Tacoma - I have owned multiple 4 runners including my '84 which I still have, as well as '98 TLC, 2015 6.2 L Silverado . So, perhaps I was expecting more than I should have from the Tacoma . I love the Ranger- best truck I have ever driven on or off road, hands down. The Bronco will clearly outshine the Ranger and Tacoma off road, but I am waiting to experience that this weekend.
Sponsored