Sponsored

Anyone considering a bed cap topper?

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I should have probably started a new thread for this, so sorry if I hijacked this thread.

I am going to try the topper out the first weekend of May, but I will likely be returning it after that. The customer support from Flated is the best I have ever seen and were trying to work with me whether I wanted to keep it and try to make it work or return it. One solution they mentioned trying was to get some waterproof flashing-type material like laminate and attach it to the topper so the gap is not there between the bed and the topper, but I do not see how I could keep that attached and trust it not to come off when driving. They are also offering me to return it for a full refund or keep it and get a discount trade-in when they come out with a version specifically for the 2024 Tacoma. The problem is that it will be 8-12 months they said. By then, other soft topper options should be available or if I still cannot find something that I prefer, I can give Flated's new version a try because I really do like how easy it is to install and remove as well as store. And I agree that it would be much better to have an option that turns it into a sort of extended bed camper. My current plan was to use a tarp that I attach and hope I get the run-off right.

You must have been the customer they referenced when I called today. The spoiler issue sucks. They said it was a couple inches of it pushed back but your pictures show it just isn't workable.
Sponsored

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
I am going to try the topper out the first weekend of May, but I will likely be returning it after that. The customer support from Flated is the best I have ever seen and were trying to work with me whether I wanted to keep it and try to make it work or return it. One solution they mentioned trying was to get some waterproof flashing-type material like laminate and attach it to the topper so the gap is not there between the bed and the topper, but I do not see how I could keep that attached and trust it not to come off when driving. They are also offering me to return it for a full refund or keep it and get a discount trade-in when they come out with a version specifically for the 2024 Tacoma. The problem is that it will be 8-12 months they said. By then, other soft topper options should be available or if I still cannot find something that I prefer, I can give Flated's new version a try because I really do like how easy it is to install and remove as well as store. And I agree that it would be much better to have an option that turns it into a sort of extended bed camper. My current plan was to use a tarp that I attach and hope I get the run-off right.
Good to know and thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good company and a good future option to look at. Just also hope they can tone down the company logos all over it and have something more subtle. If they came up with a short bed sleeping solution like I was wishing for (NOT their platform bed... what is the point of that?) it would become a shut-up-and-take-my-money product.

ORRINGEjuice

First Name
Orrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport Premium

rchrds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Tacoma TRD
I've had a paint matched ARE aluminum commercial topper with tailgate delete and ambulance swing open doors for 20 years on my 2004- and it has been great. It never leaked and i've driven it through central America and never had anyone break into it. The topper has all of 350k miles on it. I would highly recommend their tops, and the prices are becoming cheaper than the newer offerings like GFC and others, albeit with no tent. As we move to a trailhunter, even though I like the ARE, we may end up with a top even with the top of the cab so we can get kayaks up there, and the wife wants a tailgate again, even though I think the ambulance doors were much more utilitarian.
Sponsored