Sponsored

Anyone Disappointed in Ford's Choice of Bilstein over Fox Shocks?

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally I'm a little disappointed to see Ford go with the Bilstein Shocks on the higher packages. I was really hoping to see the Bronco sitting on the Fox Active Shocks, similar to the Raptor. I'm not saying they are junk or anything. I currently drive a 2016 4Runner TRD Pro which has the 2.5" Bilstein Shocks and they've been great for 66K. I just love the feel of the Progressive valving of say Fox or King over the Digressive Bilsteins. They just don't have that cushy feel of the Fox and can be a little harsh on the street and small stuff, especially when paired with LT tires. It would have been nice to be able to choose the shock package to suit your needs. Oh well just my take on it.
Sponsored

beachztt

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor- Tuxedo Black, 2017 Jeep JKU Rubicon Hard Rock- Built
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Personally I'm a little disappointed to see Ford go with the Bilstein Shocks on the higher packages. I was really hoping to see the Bronco sitting on the Fox Active Shocks, similar to the Raptor. I'm not saying they are junk or anything. I currently drive a 2016 4Runner TRD Pro which has the 2.5" Bilstein Shocks and they've been great for 66K. I just love the feel of the Progressive valving of say Fox or King over the Digressive Bilsteins. They just don't have that cushy feel of the Fox and can be a little harsh on the street and small stuff, especially when paired with LT tires. It would have been nice to be able to choose the shock package to suit your needs. Oh well just my take on it.

I have Fox shocks on just about everything I own (Raptor, JKUR Hard Rock, Mountain Bikes, and two snowmobiles). I wish they had gone that way but you can't deny that Bilstein makes a good product. I will let them wear out and replace them with a set of Fox or King remote reservoirs. ;)

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3, Mustang, Tacoma, Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How long until they "wear out"? I should be able to get years and years out of these stockers right?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bayou_Bronco

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have Fox shocks on just about everything I own (Raptor, JKUR Hard Rock, Mountain Bikes, and two snowmobiles). I wish they had gone that way but you can't deny that Bilstein makes a good product. I will let them wear out and replace them with a set of Fox or King remote reservoirs. ;)
Totally agree with you there. Curious if these will be at least a 2.5" shock? Like I said the Bilstein's have been fine on my T4R but was just about to upgrade to the full King set-up before the Bronco launched. Instant change of plans!! My problem is I have trouble waiting for stuff to wear out. LOL

OP
OP
Bayou_Bronco

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How long until they "wear out"? I should be able to get years and years out of these stockers right?
Who knows. My 4Runner has 66K on it, with some decent trail time, and they are still doing fine.

beachztt

Wildtrak
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor- Tuxedo Black, 2017 Jeep JKU Rubicon Hard Rock- Built
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Totally agree with you there. Curious if these will be at least a 2.5" shock? Like I said the Bilstein's have been fine on my T4R but was just about to upgrade to the full King set-up before the Bronco launched. Instant change of plans!! My problem is I have trouble waiting for stuff to wear out. LOL
Yeah, I had Bilsteins on an Off-Road Xterra. I like them. They were good shocks. I like that I can rebuild the Foxs on my Raptor. That has happened twice. I now have fittings and can adjust the Nitogen pressure if need be. They also have some other minor upgrades. The Bilsteins I have seen in the videos appear to be monotubes with a small attached reservoir. They look significantly smaller than my 2.5 Fox but it's difficult to get perspective in those quick video snippets.

I agree with the "wearing crap out" too. I always seem to go bigger than I think I need to "attempt" to circumvent that. :)

I run my Fox 2.5s 60k before I have them rebuilt. I had 120k on my Xterra Bilsteins. They were fine. What is wore out and what you tell your significant other is wore out to justify a purchase/upgrade is up to you. My wife is really good about upgrades though.

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think price determines Bilstein vs King or Fox, but yeah, it would be nice to have something a little better on the top end for those who want them.

I imagine once the aftermarket develops for springs and shocks, the factory takeoff squatch parts will be readily available.

OP
OP
Bayou_Bronco

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bilsteins I have seen in the videos appear to be monotubes with a small attached reservoir. They look significantly smaller than my 2.5 Fox but it's difficult to get perspective in those quick video snippets.
I thought the same thing myself. They look small. Heck my stock Pro shocks are full 2.5".

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My prediction ... The Bronco Raptor will ride on Fox Live shocks.

OP
OP
Bayou_Bronco

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My prediction ... The Bronco Raptor will ride on Fox Live shocks.
I think your prediction will be correct. If the Bilstein don't meet expectations my Badland will be riding on adjustable Kings. :)

DonsBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does anyone know if the Bilstein Position Sensitive Dampers are electronically controlled
Sponsored