Sponsored

Anyone else buying a Bronco because.... IT'S NOT A JEEP?

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am getting a bronco because its a total 180 of what I normally buy and it's not a jeep lol.
Sponsored

RobPS

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, MB E350 Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was actually looking at and seriously considering a convertible of some kind. The Wrangler was NEVER in consideration even though I owned one in the past. Then when I found out the Bronco was coming back and saw what it looks like, I was HOOKED! Now, there is nothing else I would even consider.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe I'm over thinking the question but I read into it that you like some of the things a Jeep is (off roading capabilities, removable doors and roof) but Jeeps have the negatives you mentioned that the Bronco does not.

So to answer your question... yes, sort of.

I've ridden trails in my in law's jeep and it's pretty fun. It was gifted to my son and then passed on to my daughter so it's kind of our Jeep now. I enjoy driving it but it has had so many mechanical issues and it bounces around on the highway and feels kind of cheap inside. I wouldn't mind having one if it were newer (for reliability), nicer and not so pricey.

But I've driven F150s for most of my adult life so I'm comfortable with Fords and the Bronco hits all the marks for me. The MGV, wash out floors, IFS, modular features, plenty of off road capability, removable doors/roof, less common on the road (currently), and a Ford.
I want something different from what I've owned/ own.

I want doors n roof off.

I don't care for the look of a jeep.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I feel the same way. The wife has a JK, she loves it, and I still love her anyway. I have my toy as well. Even my hardcore jeep buddies will give me grief for not having a jeep. I tell them it is a JEEP, Just Everybody Else's Parts, I've got a Ford Motor, Chevy Axles, Old's Steering column... blah blah. :cool:. I still wave back to the Jeeps that wave at me too. Nothing wrong with being outside the box.

fj40.jpg
That is totally badass!!!

Love it

texas8709

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Somewhat. One of my friends used to have a 2-door Wrangler with a manual, and another currently has a Wrangler. I LOVE driving them. I like the tight turning radius and especially the open air feeling with the doors off. I considered an Unlimited for a while, but never pulled the trigger. The SFA was part of the reason. Now I used to drive an '02 7.3 SuperDuty, with live axles AND leaf springs front and rear, so the ride quality isn't an issue for me. But I have a wife now, and we're trying to have a baby, so it'd be somewhat of an issue for them. But the real deal breaker was the powertrains. The Pentatstar V6 is a completely fine engine, but it just isn't enough for me. My first car was a Mustang so I love speed, but I also live in Texas ,where I'm blessed with 75, 80, and 85mph speed limits all around me. I don't want to drive something that feels like its barely wheezing along at the speed limit. The 2.7 being auto only also isn't a big deal breaker. I personally don't see the appeal of a stick on a rock crawler. Some people may call that sacrilege, but I think I'm scarred after seeing my buddy almost roll his manual wrangler after stalling it on a steep trail. I also don't really feel like daily driving a manual. I would, but I'd rather have a manual in a project car Mustang or other sports car (which is in the plans, if i can find a good Foxbody). I think the styling of the Bronco is miles better, inside and out. And unsurprisingly, I'm a Ford guy. I wouldn't rule out other brands, but I'd shop for a Ford first. The 392 Jeep is interesting, but ultimately it's too much money. I'd rather go fast offroad while still having the capability and articulation to handle some rockier stuff that my truck couldn't get through. That 392 is not gonna be great at higher speeds offroad, like every other Wrangler and Gladiator. For that money, I'd have a TRX or Raptor and actually get some utility out of it. Or if i wanted a crawler, buy a Rubicon and have plenty left over to mod it.
Ultimately, other than having a proven track record and the owner/aftermarket community, the Bronco checked all my boxes better than the Jeep could.

Sponsored

geronika

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
53 Ford Pickup
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes. I always wanted the open air of a Jeep. Way way back my daughter had a Suzuki Samurai and I loved taking it for a spin with the roof off. I once purchased a Jeep Cherokee and was so unimpressed with the power and build. It had so many little issues. I've own three FORD pickups, still have two of them, and an Explorer. When I saw I could get the open air of a Jeep and get a Ford, I said hell yeah.

mrb2bcarshow

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge charger, jeep wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I like the Jeep and I have one but Jeep became so conservative upgrading their Wranglers and has been very slow in improving their models which turns me off.

Bronco checked those boxes at one time that is why I have high expectations on this.

texas8709

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. I'm buying a Bronco because I want a Bronco.

Personally I think this whole Jeep vs Bronco, ifs vs sfa is stupid.
The whining about steering wheel shimmy and calling it "Death Wobble" is just sad and pathetic.

Talk to me about "Death Wobble" when you lose a castle nut at 65mph and the tie rod separates from Steering knuckle and this is the only option you have to get home
GhettoFix.jpg

Or when you have a complete TRE failure [Ram Truck in this instant]
IMG_0731.JPG
Lol ya, I always tell my Jeep buddies to talk to me about Death Wobble when you get it in a Super Duty, on the highway, with 16 round bales on a trailer behind you. That will give you PTSD.
Ya, I was over the tow rating of the truck. But that 6.7 Powerstroke is a unit.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I could buy any vehicle I want. I've looked at Jeeps, but I think they are ugly, and they are absolutely ubiquitous out here - at any stop light, if I look around there will be at least 3 Jeeps.

And, I'm kind of a "Ford guy," event though I've owned other brands.

I want something that's just a little less run-of-the-mill.
Yeah, I'm partly buying it because it's not a Jeep. Not that I hate Jeeps, but they are a penny-a-dozen (even less than dime-a-dozen ;) ).

When the Rubicon came out, I looked pretty closely at getting one. I had trouble deciding between the much-too-small-but-better-looking two-door or the more-practical-but-homely four-door. Ultimately, I held off because the aged and anemic V6 was a non-starter for me (190 HP in a 4-liter V6?!). I also wasn't a big fan of the solid front axle, though I understood it was the only way to have "real" off-road capability. I waited, thinking Jeep was finally going to introduce a ground-up motor with 21st century specs. They didn't, and I ended up buying my first Ford, an F150. That truck treated us so well (now, my daughter) that more Fords were added to the stable.

That said, if the Bronco (two-door) hadn't looked as great as it does, I probably wouldn't have reserved and ordered one. But the ship had already sailed on Jeep, so it was really Bronco or nothing for me. Eventually, my Bronco will be dime-a-dozen, but at least it wasn't already that way before I got one! 😄

Last edited:

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had an 85’ Bronco when I was young and loved it. So a big part of my mid-forties consumer motivation is regaining some of that lost love from my old Bronco.

The factors include....

I’ve owned two Jeeps in my time, a 2door Wrangler & grand Cherokee. The wrangler was fun but the 4cyc (bad choice I know) was gutless. The Cherokee was VERY powerful but the build quality was shit, it had constant mechanical & electrical gremlins. Stranded me & my young family (babies in tow back then) so many times.

In my adult life I’ve evolved into an off-road guy, and my Tacoma is a beast. I’ve always wanted another wrangler but just couldn’t bring myself to actually own another modern Jeep due to quality concerns. I’m causally shopping for an older LJ now, but that’s different. 🤪

Then the Bronco reveal shows up. Consumer research spot on, blending all the things I loved about my Jeep with the Bronco gen1 style cues. Sign me up. My entire family watched the reveal video with me (because I’d made a big deal out of it) and as soon as the video ended my wife looked right at me and said “you have to get one”. As a Tacoma guy the IFS doesn’t really bother me.

So to answer your question: partially yes.

I’m stoked to return to the 2door Bronco life!

Last edited:

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, if I had my choice I would have bought the Jeep already and not had to go through this but my wife wants the Bronco.
Listen to your wife more often. She knows what she's doing! 😄

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Jeep back seat is a little too cramped for a family, hoping the Bronco is bigger (looks bigger)

Otherwise I would rather buy used than new but there won't be used Bronco's for awhile and I am tired of dragging the Edge out of snow and/or carpooling in my truck to work when we work in different towns.

I don't buy new vehicles so it wouldn't be my first choice given the option.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kind of.. I had a nightmare 12 Jeep GC Overland. It was a beautiful car that spent a couple days to weeks per month in the shop consistently.

I want a convertible, that I don’t have to store when the snow flies (NOV-APR). Plus the novelty is intriguing.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Skagzoola

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Cruz (POS)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My first car I ever purchased was a 93 Bronco, two-toned blue with white stripe. I loved that car. Put a 3 inch lift on it. After 10 years, engine gave out. Would have bought another one but stopped production. Now that they are back and my Jeep Grand Cherokee is probably on its last legs, getting another Bronco. Nostalgia probably and it looks awesome. Drove a Wrangler as a loaner and felt like I was in a coffin. I am 6’2”. I am ready to go back to my Bronco.
"Felt like I was in a coffin."
L M A O!
M
A
O
!
It's funny cause it's true.

1604599722367.png
Sponsored