Sponsored

Anyone else checking out the new Jeep vehicles?

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
From my experience with Tesla they recommend you only charge to 80% or 20 miles in the wranglers case. Then you add in real world/cold weather inefficiencies I would bet the practical electrical only range is 15-18 miles. I have to accept the fact that the 4Xe not an electric vehicle, but a more efficient gas wrangler.

Ford can you release the build and price now so I can get back to talking about something truly exciting.
I see your point.

It makes the PHEV off-roader feel like a waste of time. There's not enough benefit once the real world factors hit. It seems more like a marketing gimmick than anything. It's like Ford and their ecoboost name...there's very little about the eco, especially once you actually put your foot in it vs. its NA counterpart.

Honestly, this will probably bomb with most enthusiasts as the hybrid portion really only pays dividends with daily commuting. Hopefully Ford doesn't make the same mistake and instead invests in full electric.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Woodwalker

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats a horrible job of a new Grand wWagoner. This is my 84. They completely missed the mark, should have named it something else. As far as an electric jeep are you kidding me. People need to be reminded of how hazardous batteries and solar panels are. Its just the appearance of being green.

4859.jpeg

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A few things...

One: if you're in stop and go traffic alot, it's nice to be in all electric mode to save the cost on idling your car.

Two: If your commute is short enough, you could theoretically go to work and back on electric alone...saving on gas or time lost fueling up.

Three: As others have mentioned, you can have the 100% electric torque available when you need it. It's sort of like a bottle of nitro.

It's got it's appeals, especially as we bridge the gap between ICE and Electric. You get to enjoy the benefits of an electric vehicle for a short window and then go back to having an ICE vehicle...less of a compromise for many people.
That does make sense

Washbjj88

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see your point.

It makes the PHEV off-roader feel like a waste of time. There's not enough benefit once the real world factors hit. It seems more like a marketing gimmick than anything. It's like Ford and their ecoboost name...there's very little about the eco, especially once you actually put your foot in it vs. its NA counterpart.

Honestly, this will probably bomb with most enthusiasts as the hybrid portion really only pays dividends will daily commuting. Hopefully Ford doesn't make the same mistake and instead invests in full electric.
A PHEV off-roader or any PHEV with a 50+ mile electric only range would be practical for most daily drivers and a best of both worlds. But, I could see how once you start doubling the size and weight of the battery pack you might as well go full electric.

Sponsored

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A PHEV off-roader or any PHEV with a 50+ mile electric only range would be practical for most daily drivers and a best of both worlds. But, I could see how once you start doubling the size and weight of the battery pack you might as well go full electric.
Yep. PHEV makes more sense in a commuter...but when we're talking about the power needed off-road...I can't see a small battery earning its keep. It'll be interesting to see what the F150 electric can do. They claim 500 miles, but once you start towing and wheeling, will it keep up?

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Surprised at how blah the Grand Wagoneer is - to me it says Navigator much more than it says Wagoneer. Looks like a home run on the interior when it's optioned out (McIntosh audio in a car!), which is what the folks dropping 6 figures for luxury SUV's want, but really disappointed with the exterior given (IMO) how attractive the original was. It's still in a prototype stage so maybe they can tweak the look between now and production, who knows.
I hope it has this strapped to the dashboard:

Ford Bronco Anyone else checking out the new Jeep vehicles? 1599169877697

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't even begin to understand the fascination with hybrids

You're paying more to save some gas, where unless you own it for years and tons of miles, won't recoup the difference.

What am I missing?
I think the value proposition on hybrids is buying a used one that is nearly new. My daughter bought a one-year old hybrid with about 20,000 miles on it at a heavily reduced price from new (even factoring the rebate that would have applied). It was essentially the same price as the non-hybrid version. So now she gets great gas mileage at no extra cost (at least until the 100k mile battery warranty is up).

That said, I wouldn't be inclined to by a hybrid new. Like you are seeing, it usually takes about 5-7 years to break-even, and even then, only if you keep the car that long.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And at idle there's no waste of fuel and you could run the aC for hours and only lose 1-6% of power
What do you mean by power when you say you only lose 1-6% of power? If you mean battery capacity, heat and A/C are notorious for heavily reducing range in electric vehicles--some 30%. But maybe you are referring to less parasitic power loss from the engine compared to an A/C attached to and belt-driven off a combustion engine?

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The wagoner is terrible. I don’t know what they were thinking here. They had an iconic vehicle and turned it in to a bloated grand Cherokee. The front end on the old wagoneers was cool. How hard is it to replicate and modernize it?

This
Ford Bronco Anyone else checking out the new Jeep vehicles? 1599173756472

Or this
Ford Bronco Anyone else checking out the new Jeep vehicles? 1599173787290

or this
Ford Bronco Anyone else checking out the new Jeep vehicles? 1599173823504

Would have served as better inspiration than this
Ford Bronco Anyone else checking out the new Jeep vehicles? 1599173891034

Or this (Chinese grand commander)
Ford Bronco Anyone else checking out the new Jeep vehicles? 1599173955070

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had an '85 Grand Wagoneer and all I'd like to say is they did a horrible job.

4xe is interesting, though.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't even begin to understand the fascination with hybrids

You're paying more to save some gas, where unless you own it for years and tons of miles, won't recoup the difference.

What am I missing?
Agreed. I live in S.C. where gas prices are low. I can’t even remember the last time I saw unleaded above $2 a gallon here. Maybe it would make more sense and be worth the money if I lived in Hawaii or some other state where gas is much more expensive.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Comes out in 2020....A lot of hp and torque. Pretty impressive. The only question is the price and I'm sure it will cost too much for most people. This might sway a few reservation (maybe 2....lol) holders especially if Ford is extending build dates until 2022...

I just saw the video. They mentioned an easter egg thats easy to find on the wagoneer...OMG they are paying attention......
Sponsored

Last edited: