Sponsored

Anyone else concerned about getting burned with "first to market" pricing?

chappyja_WNC

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, I currently outright own a 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec AWD with no plans to get rid of it/trade it. It's an amazing daily driver. I do have my reservation in for a 4 door Wildtrek, mainly as a fun toy to play with in the mountains of WNC. I had already been thinking I'd be buying a diesel Rubicon or something like that, before the Ford Bronco release happened, in about 2021/22. I really like what they did and it will force Jeep to step up for sure. I'm assuming this will be both in features/innovation and pricing.

I am eligible for X-plan through the company I work for as well as the equivalent plan for Jeep. It seems historically, the Jeep Wrangler holds it value AMAZINGLY well, even 10+ year old Wranglers with 150k on them. Is anyone else a bit concerned that once all of these deliveries start to pump out and people are paying MSRP (or more), eventually the demand will slow and the later first year or potential "bug fixed" second year models will get deeper discounts and incentives?

I've never been a car collector guy and don't suspect that I'll make money back on this vehicle, but I certainly wouldn't want to lose massive value in it if the first year models that are top dollar end up being known as the problematic year with the second year ones being deeper discounted and include tweaks and adjustments that hold better in the market?

What are other people's thoughts on this?
Sponsored

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
no.

I realize I probably can't negotiate much, and I don't even care. Cars like this aren't investments but they do give you a fun feeling that's hard to replicate. I don't want to wait. You only live once.

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
look at how well raptors hold their value, look at how well the other off road focused SUV's hold their value. Now I know the 4Runner gets the toyota tax, but the Bronco should be lightyears better than the jeep build quality wise. A lot of people only buy jeeps because they are the only option since the 4Runner is a very large vehicle.

Also which dealer are you going through? As a WNC resident as well, I am interested in what the dealers around here are doing even though I am buying through a dealer in Oklahoma.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know my Jeep's value takes a hit because I have a 2010 with the 3.8L V6 and 42RLE automatic transmission. If I remember correctly the 2 in that stands for a 2/10 torque rating and if you look at the jeep forums they are infamous. Anyways, the engine and transmission both were updated in 2012 and the interior was updated in 2011. At first value of my Jeep was at least a few thousand less compared to the 2012's and a little less than the 2011's (not everyone seems to like that interior, including myself), but now that the JL is out they all seem to be around the same.

I think if you're planning to hang onto the Bronco for a while it will probably be a wash when you go to get rid of it. It will probably go to a home where someone just wants a Bronco and doesn't care if it doesn't have the little fix or update that came a year or two later. It will also be cool because it's the first year it's back. It just attracts a different kind of customer.

Mke_80

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Coo of Ford was interviewed by yahoo finance earlier this week and he said that the Bronco will be a mainstream vehicle and that they are aiming for large amount for sales. In other words they want a piece of the 240k ish sales per year of the wrangler.

At the moment since we do not have the Build and Price online yet we can not say if the bronco is definitively overpriced or not. The msrp are there and they seem to be around 3 - 4 k more than a comparable off road truck. It's in the high price range for this type of vehicle , but still cheaper than the new Defender.

On the Financing it also seem that they are looking at a 5.9 % ( the new Bronco Sport rate at the moment) . To me they are 2% over. They finance a F-150 at 3.9% Surely the % will go down.

The value will be dictated by the amount of sale, reliability, and performance plus or minus a few other things. One thing is for sure, they will loose value, by how much... this is the question.

I have been saying here on the Forum at a few occasion that, value for value , without emotions. It would probably be profitable to wait a few years to buy.

It's probably not what people on the forum want to read, and I will probably get a few thumb down for saying it.

That being said , I reserved one, and I don't plan on waiting! I totally understand the hype and I make the informed decision of being part of it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think your assessment is correct MKE. I will wait until the summer/fall of 2022 to get my Bronco. By then things should have settled down.
I waited about seven months after the JTR release and was able to save more than $5k for waiting a little. I know it is great for some to be the first to get a new model, but I am going to see how things shake out.

Last edited:

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Coo of Ford was interviewed by yahoo finance earlier this week and he said that the Bronco will be a mainstream vehicle and that they are aiming for large amount for sales. In other words they want a piece of the 240k ish sales per year of the wrangler.

At the moment since we do not have the Build and Price online yet we can not say if the bronco is definitively overpriced or not. The msrp are there and they seem to be around 3 - 4 k more than a comparable off road truck. It's in the high price range for this type of vehicle , but still cheaper than the new Defender.

On the Financing it also seem that they are looking at a 5.9 % ( the new Bronco Sport rate at the moment) . To me they are 2% over. They finance a F-150 at 3.9% Surely the % will go down.

The value will be dictated by the amount of sale, reliability, and performance plus or minus a few other things. One thing is for sure, they will loose value, by how much... this is the question.

I have been saying here on the Forum at a few occasion that, value for value , without emotions. It would probably be profitable to wait a few years to buy.

It's probably not want people on the forum want to read, and I will probably get a few thumb down for saying it.

That being said , I reserved one, and I don't plan on waiting! I totally understand the hype and I make the informed decision of being part of it.
I'm not sure that the Bronco is going to be much of a premium over a comparable Wrangler if at all. At the Mid package especially you're getting a whole lot of equipment that's a combination of several different Wrangler option groups. Matching up option for option as best as possible I think they're going to be in the same ballpark.

Mke_80

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not sure that the Bronco is going to be much of a premium over a comparable Wrangler if at all. At the Mid package especially you're getting a whole lot of equipment that's a combination of several different Wrangler option groups. Matching up option for option as best as possible I think they're going to be in the same ballpark.

Very difficult to know without the build and price . Here is the details of my reserve,
I live in Canada so the prices are Canadian dollar
Bronco Badlands 4dr 2.3l : 56494 + 2000 shipping = 58,494 I need to include the Mid package for sure and hard top.

The total price of my build is unknown. I'm looking at more than 60 K that's for sure.

+ 60K at probably 5.99% on probably 84 months. ( just looking at bronco sports rate and terms)

Now. for around 60K Here are my other options :

wrangler Rubicon 3.6 moderately equipped 51K at 2.99% for 96 months
wrangler Rubicon 3.0l diesel fully equip 62K at 2.99% for 96 months
4 runner TRD pro 64K at 5.79% for 84 months
Defender 110 72K at 3.92% for 72 months

Not knowing the price of the option is the real problem now. we can only suppose of this and that but if I look at the options here is what I think:

The bronco as the highest finance rate ... if they finance at the same rate as Bronco sport.
Fully equipped I expect the price to be around 70K.

So as you can see from a Canadian dollar market and perspective the Bronco Badlands base msrp seems to be overpriced about 3 to 5 K

I would like to see the price equipped bellow 65K and at the F-150 rate of 3.9%

Again , I do these comparison for fun. Just trying to establish the value of Bronco compared to others.

Please before saying my prices are all wrong CANADIAN $ as mentioned in the beginning.
:)

Obi-Wan Broncoby

Outer Banks
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have to say, I really don't care what happens next year. Only the FE might be seen as an "investment" and only then if you park it in a warehouse and maintain it for 10 years or longer. Otherwise this is just a depreciating asset. I've worked hard all my life. I still have my 2001 gen 1 Tacoma TRD that I bought brand new and it still makes me happy when I drive it. I'm 60 so I probably won't drive my Bronco for 20 years but I will damn sure enjoy every minute I do. Life is too short to live for money. Just my .02.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At that rate it'd be wise to pursue your own financing vs going through the dealership

5.9 on a new car loan is mental

Sponsored

GMan

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cayenne Porsche
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, I currently outright own a 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec AWD with no plans to get rid of it/trade it. It's an amazing daily driver. I do have my reservation in for a 4 door Wildtrek, mainly as a fun toy to play with in the mountains of WNC. I had already been thinking I'd be buying a diesel Rubicon or something like that, before the Ford Bronco release happened, in about 2021/22. I really like what they did and it will force Jeep to step up for sure. I'm assuming this will be both in features/innovation and pricing.

I am eligible for X-plan through the company I work for as well as the equivalent plan for Jeep. It seems historically, the Jeep Wrangler holds it value AMAZINGLY well, even 10+ year old Wranglers with 150k on them. Is anyone else a bit concerned that once all of these deliveries start to pump out and people are paying MSRP (or more), eventually the demand will slow and the later first year or potential "bug fixed" second year models will get deeper discounts and incentives?

I've never been a car collector guy and don't suspect that I'll make money back on this vehicle, but I certainly wouldn't want to lose massive value in it if the first year models that are top dollar end up being known as the problematic year with the second year ones being deeper discounted and include tweaks and adjustments that hold better in the market?

What are other people's thoughts on this?
that's my concern as well. Fortunately we don't take delivery until mid-2021 so hopefully more news will come out about the issues, similar to the New Vette which had a tongue and tranny issue. Stop short of getting one because of that and glad I did .

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dude it’s a fucking car. It’s going to lose value. If you’re worried that you’re paying MSRP now and that two years from now you could’ve saved 5k then why are you even spending 50k on a car to begin with? The little extra I might have to pay over my buddy who’s planning to get one in late 2022 will outweigh the look on his face every time I drive up in mine for the year and a half I’m having a blast and he isn’t.

Furthermore, Jeep quality is garbage and they hold their value just fine (as do any 4x4 trucks and true off road SUV’s), so I expect this Bronco to have a decent resale value if/when that time comes. Ford is one of the best vehicle manufacturers in the world and anyone who disagrees is just a fanboy of whatever brand they like but it’s a fact. The best selling small car in the UK is a Ford Fiesta. Anywhere you go in Europe the only American cars you see are Fords (except in Italy because Fiat owns Jeep).

In summary, never buy a car/truck as an investment because it’s more likely than not going to lose you money, but if you are buying, a Ford product is going to be superior to most others on the market.

GMan

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cayenne Porsche
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dude it’s a fucking car. It’s going to lose value. If you’re worried that you’re paying MSRP now and that two years from now you could’ve saved 5k then why are you even spending 50k on a car to begin with? The little extra I might have to pay over my buddy who’s planning to get one in late 2022 will outweigh the look on his face every time I drive up in mine for the year and a half I’m having a blast and he isn’t.

Furthermore, Jeep quality is garbage and they hold their value just fine (as do any 4x4 trucks and true off road SUV’s), so I expect this Bronco to have a decent resale value if/when that time comes. Ford is one of the best vehicle manufacturers in the world and anyone who disagrees is just a fanboy of whatever brand they like but it’s a fact. The best selling small car in the UK is a Ford Fiesta. Anywhere you go in Europe the only American cars you see are Fords (except in Italy because Fiat owns Jeep).

In summary, never buy a car/truck as an investment because it’s more likely than not going to lose you money, but if you are buying, a Ford product is going to be superior to most others on the market.
Good analysis.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My thought is it's only money. You either want it or you don't. Unless mine is a complete lemon, I'm going to more than recoup my money's worth out of it.
Sponsored