Sponsored

Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner?

OCNORB1974

Wildtrak
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Lol how is made in japan a negative?
Sorry, but I for one support AMERICAN companies before pac rim countries. Never owned a pac rim car in my 60 years, nor will I ever. I don’t care how good they are.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am. In fact I am considering a current gen 2023 4runner for its reliability and simplicity. Looks are completely subjective; I think the TRD PROs look great. This Ford fanboy forum is likely not going to appreciate all things that a current or future gen 4runner has to offer. So much opposition for Toyota just in this one thread...seems pretty odd to me.

My interests have changed over the wait...as I've really got into wheeling locally with my Jeep, my interests have grown to include overlanding across the entire country. Given all posts on this and other G6 sites, this new Ford does not appear to be trustworthy to drive across the small state where I live let alone the country and expect service from another dealer. The 4runner, Landcruiser, or Lexus GX appear to fit the bill as "world vehicles" and will handle miles of driving without issue and have support to mod into a great overlanding vehicle. And as much as a MIC top makes it more overland useful, the Toyotas without removeable roofs become more practical.

If I was just looking for a convertible, some off road capability, something different, was a Ford fan, local putting around, I can see that the Bronco being a strong fit for a lot of people. We know lots love it and many have a "good one". I fit a few those criteria and that's why mine is on the way. But we'll see...I may love it too and attempt to make it work. If it starts to smell like a lemon, it will disappear and a new or old gen Toyota will arrive instead. More competition the better.
Yes, some Broncos have had serious problems, but many, including mine have been nearly trouble free - I put 50k miles on mine in the first year of ownership and it hasn't spent a single day at the dealership for repairs.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I lived there several years, and I loved living there, especially in Okinawa. Okinawa isn't for you if you like low crime rates, attractive women, the beach, and good food.
What about free intimacy with natives?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This post reminds me of when you take someone to the best Mexican restaurant in your City, and they order a hamburger.
Like Chris Madrid's in San Antonio? 😂

Those who remember will know, best hamburgers in the world.

Sponsored

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not trading my 2dr on a 4 dr... Toyota makes it in a 2dr, then.... Who am I kidding, not even then. I already own a '74 FJ.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I considered getting a 4Runner, but the lack of power, less refined tech package, and a few other minor things made the Bronco more attractive to me. I also didn't need the extra space offered by the 4Runner.

While I would agree with most that Toyota generally has excellent quality control and reliability, my Bronco has exceeded my expectations in every way possible. It is just over 13 months and nearly 55k miles without a single down day. I have only found a handful of errors in the initial assembly despite going through the Bronco looking for flaws.

Now why couldn't they just have installed a naturally aspirated 2JZ in the 4Runner, that might have been all it took to convert me. ;) I suspect that I would be happy with either vehicle, but I think that my specific Bronco is better for me than a 4Runner.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, but I hope many people do trade in their Broncos when they realize they just wanted to be the cool kid with the new hotness to impress their friends. I kept saying the Bronco isn't for everyone and a washing machine on 33s or 35s with a removable top is going to have wind noise and not 40mpg.

In a year or two, the band wagoneers will move on to the butched out minivans masquerading as SUVs that better suit their cellphone holster lifestyle.

I'd possibly consider a new FJ if they brought that back.
They tried that already. It is terribly PlaySkool and they all look at my Bronco in envy (or they're wondering why some weird guy is laughing at them).

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

12 pages of nonsense. I love seeing how many people jump up salivating to be the first to “Bronco”, then come on a forum to bitch about their purchase. Lol.

Sponsored

Kilgore

Badlands
First Name
Kilgore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes I would consider it based on my experience so far. Waited almost 2 years and paid north of $50k for my 7mt Badlands. The transmission sounds like a rock crusher when cold. It's actually loud enough to wake the neighbor. Turns out Ford sourced the transmission from China.

Check out the posts telling owners, "that noise is normal" and others that have had multiple gearboxes replaced only to have the noise reappear. Ford has finally released a TSB owning up to the problem. Mine is in now for the TSB. Time will tell.

For me it will be trade or lemon law if they can't fix it.

TMP

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super Duty 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Unless they update the engine….no thanks. We test drove one while waiting for our Bronco to be built and when I pulled out of the dealer and stepped on it……it just was a dog….asked the salesman if something was wrong with it because it was so gutless.

ET13

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry, but I for one support AMERICAN companies before pac rim countries. Never owned a pac rim car in my 60 years, nor will I ever. I don’t care how good they are.
Cool story

• Haha
Reactions: Jdc

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Next gen 4runner will most likely be made in the US plants, but made in Japan is the best selling point :ROFLMAO:
It will most likely either remain in Japan or be built in the same plant as the Tacoma (in Mexico).

I really like the current 4Runner and would have probably bought one if wasn't so ancient and of course if the Bronco didn't come out. I thought about building an overland 4Runner at one point but the idea of cutting fenders on a new SUV to fit 33s didn't sit well with me and then there's the fact that a lot of those builds are close to or over GVWR before the passengers even sit down. I got a sasquatch Badlands which has front (not an option on the 4Runner) and rear lockers. It also has steel front and rear bumpers and rock rails and is still within GVWR.
It'll be interesting to see what direction Toyota goes with for the new 4Runner but I doubt it'll have the capability of the Bronco right off the assembly line. On the plus side, the more competition the better.
For 33's, BMC maybe, plastic bumper maybe, depends on your wheels. But I havent seen anyone who had to cut fenders to fit 33's.

An for those who say yeah but the Bronco can be had with 35's from the factory, I've seen plenty of threads here that say the Bronco on 35's is similar to other rigs on 33's.

Instead you're buying "American" that is comprised of a lot of garbage from China and assembled here...and getting worse quality. That said, it is interesting that Japanese car companies can maintain their quality when built here so either their designs are better or their workers are...

12 pages of nonsense. I love seeing how many people jump up salivating to be the first to “Bronco”, then come on a forum to bitch about their purchase. Lol.
There are enough known issues with the Bronco that I decided I wasn't willing to wait who knows how long to even be able to place an order then wait a long time for it to actually be built. My truck has 157k miles on it, I'd rather it be gone sooner rather than later but I'm not paying ADM for a Bronco if I could even find what I wanted.

Unless they update the engine….no thanks. We test drove one while waiting for our Bronco to be built and when I pulled out of the dealer and stepped on it……it just was a dog….asked the salesman if something was wrong with it because it was so gutless.
This is going to be the hardest thing for me to get used to coming from my F150 (I'll probably add a Pedal Monster pretty quickly). And the new 4Runner will likely have a turbo 4, likely around the same hp but more torque and of course a newer transmission with more than 5 speeds (and not the 6 speed that is in the Tacoma).