Sponsored

*UPDATE - RESOLVED* Anyone else have starter issues? (Multiple failures to start)

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Having issues with the Bronco not starting. Press the start button and get a CLICK from underneath but no action from the starter. Press the button over and over and eventually it'll fire right up like nothing was ever wrong.

Have it scheduled to go to the dealer, but it's highly intermittent and will certainly be impossible for them to replicate without some real luck.

Anyone experience this and find the culprit?

-UPDATE-

I took another look at the starter this morning, and the nut for the power is clearly backed off and stuck sideways. It's not loose, and wouldn't budge in either direction, so I'm not dealing with it myself. Could I? Sure, but that's what warranty is for. It's at the dealer now.

Ford Bronco *UPDATE - RESOLVED* Anyone else have starter issues? (Multiple failures to start) 20221005_112248
Sponsored

Last edited:

Xrayphoton1

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Record a video on your phone too and get their email

OP
OP
AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Definitely check battery terminals, cables and grounds. Something is loose.
Battery cables are good...certainly acts like it's a bad connection somewhere, yet eventually starts without touching or jiggling anything at all. I've checked my fuse box connections in the past but not recently.

I'm not gonna touch anything else until the dealer looks at it just because I want the best possible chance of them being able to replicate it. Got the extended warranty this time for a reason šŸ˜‚

But if anyone else has had a similar failure could help them diagnose.

Record a video on your phone too and get their email
Good call, if it does it again before next Friday's appt I will.

Last edited:

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having issues with the Bronco not starting. Press the start button and get a CLICK from underneath but no action from the starter. Press the button over and over and eventually it'll fire right up like nothing was ever wrong.

Have it scheduled to go to the dealer, but it's highly intermittent and will certainly be impossible for them to replicate without some real luck.

On two separate occasions a few days apart, I've had to push the button several times before it would start. One time it took about 10 tries before it started.
Did not notice a click either time. Haven't taken it in. Will wait for it to totally fail. Pretty sure if I took it in now, service wouldn't be able to duplicate the issue.

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine does this occasionally but only takes one try. When it happens Iā€™m usually in a hurry or being lazy nd might night be pressing the brake pedal hard and/or long enough to complete the start cycle.

OP
OP
AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Fuel pump failing?
If that were the case it should at least try to crank, but it doesn't.

Did it again this morning. Battery read 12.3V so not dead, confirmed it with a multimeter. Just for kicks I put a jump pack to it and Bronco immediately fired up. Not sure what's going on.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Hey there! I can look into your Broncoā€™s concerns on my end if youā€™d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

• Haha
Reactions: Cat

Blaven

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did it again this morning. Battery read 12.3V so not dead, confirmed it with a multimeter. Just for kicks I put a jump pack to it and Bronco immediately fired up. Not sure what's going on.
Very strange indeed. Hopefully the dealer can find out what's going on with it.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 Land Rover 90 p/u, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Not dead at 12.3 but relatively low for some electrics. The jump pack kinda proved voltage maybe a bit low. If the starter is clicking it's obviously trying to spin...possibly just not enough voltage to overcome the high engine compression...a few clicks of the ignition switch probably just enough to move flywheel past a high compression point to eventually spin. What is your voltage reading while running?

BWarned

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had this issue and they did replace the starter and the battery. 8k miles later itā€™s back but also shows up with the auto start/stop not restarting the engine. Itā€™s been at the dealer for a month and they still havenā€™t figured it out.

OP
OP
AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Not dead at 12.3 but relatively low for some electrics. The jump pack kinda proved voltage maybe a bit low. If the starter is clicking it's obviously trying to spin...possibly just not enough voltage to overcome the high engine compression...a few clicks of the ignition switch probably just enough to move flywheel past a high compression point to eventually spin. What is your voltage reading while running?
Was showing 14.8V on the way in to work this morning so the alternator is doing... something.

OP
OP
AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I had this issue and they did replace the starter and the battery. 8k miles later itā€™s back but also shows up with the auto start/stop not restarting the engine. Itā€™s been at the dealer for a month and they still havenā€™t figured it out.
Yikes, that's concerning. So far it hasn't failed to auto-restart; hope it stays that way.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Usually if they make the "click" sound, but don't turn it's a starter motor. The click is the pull in solenoid forcing the gear into the flywheel. The pull in also completes the circuit to the motor armature itself. Sometimes an armature can have a "bad spot" and if it just happened to stop on that bad spot it doesn't want to spin the next time. We usually diagnose these by having someone hold the key and tapping on the starter a few times w/a small hammer. It's possible you shook the vehicle enough when you popped the hood and installed the jump box to free the starter up. My money would be on a slightly flaky starter motor!
Sponsored