Sponsored

UPDATE: Anyone else having major issues with a 2022 7-speed Bronco Badlands???

krksteve

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like many of you, I was really excited when Ford brought the Bronco model back in 2021 after 25 years since its last production. And when they introduced more off-road options for the 2022 model, I was in. I placed my order for the 2022 Bronco Badlands with 7-speed manual transmission and waited. I knew it would be a long wait due to the chip shortage but I finally took possession of my new Bronco in June 2022.

Imagine my disappointment just five months and under 4,000 km into my Bronco journey when one morning on my way to work it suddenly started making a really loud noise and just conked out! Of course, the vehicle is under warranty so it was towed back to the dealer for repair. That was Friday, November 18, 2022. After a week at the dealer for “diagnostics,” I was told it was a part in the transmission that had to be replaced. Apparently, this fix didn’t resolve the issue, and I was then informed the entire transmission had to be replaced.

It took weeks for the transmission to arrive in Toronto from Michigan but, after 46 days at the dealership, the transmission was finally replaced and I picked up my Bronco. That was on Wednesday, January 4, 2023. Unfortunately, the story doesn't end there. According to the service advisor, the transmission was replaced; however, the strange engine noise is still present. They also mentioned the service team contacted engineers at Ford Canada about the ongoing noise. Apparently, in their estimation the Bronco is 'safe to drive' despite the noise but there are other (engine?) parts that will need to be replaced. I'll have to return the Bronco to the dealership whenever these other parts are received from Michigan.

So, it's Thursday, January 26, 2023 and it has been over three weeks since I picked up the Bronco from the dealer. Some of the parts have been received but not all so the wait continues...

It is a massive disappointment that my Bronco - which I waited months and paid a premium for - is already experiencing major mechanical issues.

Anyone else experiencing issues like this with their Bronco?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you got a video of the noise that would probably help a lot of people.

There is a LOT of issues with the 7-speed manual right now related to the synchros grinding inside the transmission. I don't think think I would consider that a "major" issue. As far as I know no one has had their transmission outright failed because of it yet, but it's an unsettling noise for sure. The main post for that is here.

But outside of that issue, I'm not aware of any major issues impacting 7-speed manuals.

OP
OP

krksteve

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Click here for an audio clip of the noise. Thanks for the post on the 7-speed manual issues!

If you got a video of the noise that would probably help a lot of people.

There is a LOT of issues with the 7-speed manual right now related to the synchros grinding inside the transmission. I don't think think I would consider that a "major" issue. As far as I know no one has had their transmission outright failed because of it yet, but it's an unsettling noise for sure. The main post for that is here.

But outside of that issue, I'm not aware of any major issues impacting 7-speed manuals.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Okay that sounds like the issue @EndersRide has. Not sure if he ever found a solution.
Maybe because I'm use to driving older vehicles that tend to make more noise, I'm not noticing anything alarming in that sound file. Other than maybe some rapid "swishing/tick" kind of sound, that I've experienced in the past due to an exhaust manifold leak. I'm listening with headphones, can someone describe the aspect of the sound that is concerning?

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Found @EndersRide post:

My badlands is going on 6,011 miles over the first 4 months. Until last week it’s been love at first shift. Took it in to the dealership for the first oil change last Tuesday, and of course it gets thumbs up on all the tests. Last Thursday get off work start her up and come to discover I’ve got a band of samurai fighting with wood chippers under the hood making this awful noise. (Thought the 4 was supposed to be quiet!?!) Not sure if it’s related to this transmission issue given there is no relief in any gear, and turbo in 1st and 2nd seemed lacking. Clutch had been a bit finicky coming out of 1st and 2nd, but no noise like this. (Kinda makes me jealous of the softer sounds coming from some of these videos, and totally understand the frustration.) Silver lining is I took this video today in the service lot where it’s been sitting for the past week, so should have absolutely no issue replicating it for the mechanic, when he decides to get to it. Yay!

EndersRide

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can only say my Bronco has been in the shop since 12/29/22. The alleged culprit is a timing chain tensioner. Took a little over a week for so for someone to look at, then a week to get parts, and then about a week and a half for them to tell me today that they need a specialty tool to actually perform the repair that is as abundant as a unicorn. (“Well, it’s a first production run vehicle so all available tools are dedicated to production.”) Saturday will mark day 30, and there is no ability for anyone to give me even the faintest idea when the tool might even arrive to the dealership. I guess this is why the path from reservation to ownership up to this point was a trial by fire and masochistic relationship meant to prepare you for actual ownership. Still loved it when it was working, and glad to see others enjoying it theirs, but definitely a little disheartened with today’s news. 🍻

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Like many of you, I was really excited when Ford brought the Bronco model back in 2021 after 25 years since its last production. And when they introduced more off-road options for the 2022 model, I was in. I placed my order for the 2022 Bronco Badlands with 7-speed manual transmission and waited. I knew it would be a long wait due to the chip shortage but I finally took possession of my new Bronco in June 2022.

Imagine my disappointment just five months and under 4,000 km into my Bronco journey when one morning on my way to work it suddenly started making a really loud noise and just conked out! Of course, the vehicle is under warranty so it was towed back to the dealer for repair. That was Friday, November 18, 2022. After a week at the dealer for “diagnostics,” I was told it was a part in the transmission that had to be replaced. Apparently, this fix didn’t resolve the issue, and I was then informed the entire transmission had to be replaced.

It took weeks for the transmission to arrive in Toronto from Michigan but, after 46 days at the dealership, the transmission was finally replaced and I picked up my Bronco. That was on Wednesday, January 4, 2023. Unfortunately, the story doesn't end there. According to the service advisor, the transmission was replaced; however, the strange engine noise is still present. They also mentioned the service team contacted engineers at Ford Canada about the ongoing noise. Apparently, in their estimation the Bronco is 'safe to drive' despite the noise but there are other (engine?) parts that will need to be replaced. I'll have to return the Bronco to the dealership whenever these other parts are received from Michigan.

So, it's Thursday, January 26, 2023 and it has been over three weeks since I picked up the Bronco from the dealer. Some of the parts have been received but not all so the wait continues...

It is a massive disappointment that my Bronco - which I waited months and paid a premium for - is already experiencing major mechanical issues.

its turning out to be a BIG issue. Everything you need to know.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-rotational-scraping-noise-in-the-7mts.63324/

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I, too, have a 2022 Badlands with the 7 spd manual. To date, I have had no problems whatsoever with 10,000 miles now on the clock. Has been a great vehicle to date. Can't discount that a lemon will occasionally slip through manufacturing and inspection, but luckily, I have not experienced any issues. Hope they finally get your ride fixed right and that you experience no additional issues.

Layman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I, too, have a 2022 Badlands with the 7 spd manual. To date, I have had no problems whatsoever with 10,000 miles now on the clock. Has been a great vehicle to date. Can't discount that a lemon will occasionally slip through manufacturing and inspection, but luckily, I have not experienced any issues. Hope they finally get your ride fixed right and that you experience no additional issues.
^^^^^^^ This has been my experience as well. A couple of minor non-transmission issues, but my 2022 Badlands with the 7-MT has been solid. Of course, my hearing is shot and I heard nothing in that clip either, so maybe my transmission is toast, and I am just too deaf to hear it. LOL.

Sponsored

LT. DAN ICE CREAM!!!

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got my 2021 7 speed Badlands back from the shop due to a busted window regulator which they thought was just a bad module. Now my windows on the drivers side don't drop down when the door opens and my power mirrors don't work. I'm assuming the dealership needs to program the module to work with the vehicle, which they're gonna do on Monday.

EndersRide

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can only say my Bronco has been in the shop since 12/29/22. The alleged culprit is a timing chain tensioner. Took a little over a week for so for someone to look at, then a week to get parts, and then about a week and a half for them to tell me today that they need a specialty tool to actually perform the repair that is as abundant as a unicorn. (“Well, it’s a first production run vehicle so all available tools are dedicated to production.”) Saturday will mark day 30, and there is no ability for anyone to give me even the faintest idea when the tool might even arrive to the dealership. I guess this is why the path from reservation to ownership up to this point was a trial by fire and masochistic relationship meant to prepare you for actual ownership. Still loved it when it was working, and glad to see others enjoying it theirs, but definitely a little disheartened with today’s news. 🍻
Well the silver lining of 2 days of food poisoning was a text from the dealership indicating they located the tool to perform the repair. (And the lesson learned was when everyone orders tacos on taco Tuesday, don’t be the dumbass to go rogue and deviate.) ETA for tool’s arrival at the dealership is Monday, with an expected repair completion by next Friday. Ford’s offer of maybe reimbursing me $40/day for a rental car, unless they decide not to and with no explanation of a timeline for reimbursement, may now come in handy with some indication of light at the end of the tunnel.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your signature indicates you are in Florida? Seems like most folks report the issue in colder temps. Possibly some trans tolerance issue when certain metal parts (synchro/bearing/gear) have contracted but who knows for sure. Have you had occasion to start up your Bronco in a cold climate and listen for any odd noise?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I, too, have a 2022 Badlands with the 7 spd manual. To date, I have had no problems whatsoever with 10,000 miles now on the clock.
Mine was still quiet at 8k so I thought I was in the clear. Could be I didn't notice it until then due to several factors. Good luck, but my fear is this affects every single 7MT.

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your signature indicates you are in Florida? Seems like most folks report the issue in colder temps. Possibly some trans tolerance issue when certain metal parts (synchro/bearing/gear) have contracted but who knows for sure. Have you had occasion to start up your Bronco in a cold climate and listen for any odd noise?
Yes, have had it in the Smokey Mountains a couple times during cold temps. Started right up and ran just like it does in the Florida weather.
Sponsored