Sponsored

Anyone else hoping that there will be a reveal of a fully electric Bronco? Or pretty much happy with the gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know a lot of people in here don't really care for electric, and that's fine, but I'm actually fairly worried about making an investment in a vehicle that might be worthless 5-10 years from now so it's giving me some hangups. We're definitely still in the early stages but I've seen so many reports of how fast electric vehicles will become the norm. One of the warning signs I've read about is where gasoline becomes more difficult for mom and pop gas stations to stock, the change will happen very quickly. Kind of like how rapid the adoption of cellphones, and then smart phones, and social media was.

I like the usability of gasoline on the trails, and at this point in time there is nothing to really to worry about but looking towards the future electric vehicles are rising more and more each year and will only get cheaper and more accessible. And with BP releasing its report that we've already reached peak oil consumption and it will rapidly drop off after 2035 and possibly faster its getting harder for me to justify gas with that in mind. Plus even with all their issues Tesla is growing so much year over year. I canceled a cybertruck preorder for the Bronco.

I do think that some of the worst parts about electric offroad will be solved over the next few years as more people adopt but man, this is hard. Gas is really just so cheap and easy right now. Currently reserved a Badlands with the V6 but feeling torn. Would love to hear other thoughts!
I would like a hybrid Bronco. I am on my second Highlander Hybrid, the first a 2017 V6 and now a 4 cylinder 2020 model. They both have CVT transmissions and low horsepower rear motors, and are definitely not off-road vehicles. If the hybrid Bronco has its electric motor in the 10 speed transmission (As does the 2020 Explorer Hybrid) then I plan on buying the Bronco next. I expect late calendar 2022 at the earliest. BTW, my fuel economy averages 39 to 43 mpg on flat South Florida terrain).
Sponsored

Deleted member 13702

It's nice to see that what I stated earlier is being proven true, funny thing is, I'm not an environmentalist, I'm just someone who thinks it's prime time to try something different. I could insult you, but that's not the way to change. But I will ask, are you saying that if we invested in battery technologies the way we invest in fossil fuel that we couldn't find a way to recycle batteries, improve the technologies so they don't even need to be recycled? I originally posted that we used to be a country of futurists, that we always found a better or different way. Are you saying we no longer are? Also, to stay on topic, once again, I would have bought the hybrid and payed extra to get it. As it is, I am debating on waiting for that option.

Deleted member 13702

When you want to have an intelligent discussion about solar cell efficiencies please continue.

chart_solar_pv.gif

Nd9GcRJ1I4wydOc7sdlTnr87fvMWxZ7cWyGqJN6MQ&usqp=CAU.png

eeAht22FNu61vcfEFeobiemHC927Zx90suM50J0zd5M3ZrymtC.jpg

Equals =
DSCN8080-web.jpg
Who's berating who now. Do you work for big oil. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't buy the hybrid so why continue to attack my view. Do I threaten you somehow? You don't seem to be following your own advice of "lighten up, Bronco6g was built on humor".

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Who's berating who now. Do you work for big oil. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't buy the hybrid so why continue to attack my view. Do I threaten you somehow? You don't seem to be following your own advice of "lighten up, Bronco6g was built on humor".
Nope, just explaining my experience in solar cells, there is a much deeper understanding needed around solar cell efficiencies and sq. Feet of required cells, even double and triple junctions, very expensive, do not get the power density you desire for general automotive use.

kboom180

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You bring up a great point and it's definitely something that I have pondered. Mainly, will this car have a good resale value in 5-10 years if the onset of EV's keep accelerating. I also find amusing that people think that the Bronco will get a V8. V8's for the most part will be ancient history in the near future beyond special use vehicles. And this is coming from a guy who's first car was a 91' 5.0 mustang that I loved more than life. 90% sure I still want the Bronco. But, had I the money, and the charging infrastructure was a bit more mature, I'd go Rivian.

Deleted member 13702

Nope, just explaining my experience in solar cells, there is a much deeper understanding needed around solar cell efficiencies and sq. Feet of required cells, even double and triple junctions, very expensive, do not get the power density you desire for general automotive use.
I appreciate your insight. I truly do, I think what got my goat was posting the meme mocking hybrid/electric vehicles, when the original question was asking if you were disappointed that they didn't offer a hybrid. I also didn't say that solar was the only option, just the only meme I could find on the topic since you said "let's get back to posting memes"?. I personally am interested in the fusion reactor china is testing. I am disappointed that it's not America testing that tech. My personal feeling is that we are falling behind the world when it comes to these technologies, and mostly due to old ways of thinking.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.