Sponsored

Anyone else hoping that there will be a reveal of a fully electric Bronco? Or pretty much happy with the gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If any of you haven't driven an electric vehicle I highly recommend it. And I'm not talking about your father-in-law's Prius or one of those crappy compliance vehicles. Go drive a Tesla. The instant power will throw you back in your seat.

I was looking at the Rivian but I'm worried about the reliability of a start up. I was pleased to see Ford's investment in them and was hoping to see an F150 roll out on the Rivian skateboard backed by a Ford warranty but I think Covid pushed those plans back.

GMC is rolling out the Hummer truck, reveal is on 10/20/20. That roof looks amazing and I like the towing capacity. 0-60 in 3 seconds doesn't suck either. It's a bit more pricey than the Bronco at a $70K starting price though. I think I'm going to stick with the Bronco unless the Hummer really blows me away.
I have driven Tesla’s. I actually ship them out of California.

They are super fast and really quiet. But when that battery is dead you can’t even get into the car. Not only can you not get into the car, you can’t even access the door handle to try to open the door. I believe there is some kind of work around to crawling through the frunk but it’s really frustrating.

I couldn’t imagine how helpless I would feel being off road or in the middle of nowhere highway and I can’t even get back in to my car and wait for a tow truck.
Sponsored

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Many are not short-sighted, some just understand there will still be gas 10 years from now, the original question.
Many are not short-sighted, some just understand there will still be gas 10 years from now, the original question.
Actually the original question was “would anybody be interested in an EV Bronco?”...sigh

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Correct, and my response to the original question is no.
I wasnt quoting you brother. Everything’s cool. Just trying to get back to our similarities rather than our differences.

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I thought that engine was like 700 something HP? Am I confusing them? Someone posted something the other day. Good engineering is awesome.
I believe it's rated around 450 in the F250, but a little further digging shows 790 just on the engine, and they're in the process of adding a whipple-hoping for 1500+. They've done some work since I looked it up last!

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe it's rated around 450 in the F250, but a little further digging shows 790 just on the engine, and they're in the process of adding a whipple-hoping for 1500+. They've done some work since I looked it up last!
Insane. That engine embarrasses my 6.4 lol

Sponsored

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Happy with gas engine for now. EVs are still an emerging technology and will only improve over the next 5-10 years(mileage range, etc.). The batteries currently last maybe 10 years if you properly maintain them (much shorter lifespan if you don’t) and are very expensive to replace. You also need to factor in the cost of home charging and the current limited number of charging stations across the country.

Last edited:

AbsoluteFord

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Ford F-150, Honda Clarity
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I drive a plug in hybrid now, so there is some concern. Down the line if they release a eBronco, I will deff choose that option. Whether I trade in this gen for that, or keep the other one around and grab that one on the side is another question. Regardless I think this bronco will hold it’s value.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not yet. But with the wildfires, melting glaciers, record-breaking heat, and all the other effects of global warming, I would love it if the technology was there to change my mind.

I already do a lot to offset my carbon footprint (composting, recycling, and I've been vegan for many years) and a gas-guzzling vehicle is typically not my style. But I need a high clearance 4WD for work and I'm not convinced I'd be comfortable taking an electric one miles into the wilderness.

So I'll get the gas version and in another five years or so, I'll probably get a second, all-electric vehicle for driving around town.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know a lot of people in here don't really care for electric, and that's fine, but I'm actually fairly worried about making an investment in a vehicle that might be worthless 5-10 years from now so it's giving me some hangups. We're definitely still in the early stages but I've seen so many reports of how fast electric vehicles will become the norm. One of the warning signs I've read about is where gasoline becomes more difficult for mom and pop gas stations to stock, the change will happen very quickly. Kind of like how rapid the adoption of cellphones, and then smart phones, and social media was.

I like the usability of gasoline on the trails, and at this point in time there is nothing to really to worry about but looking towards the future electric vehicles are rising more and more each year and will only get cheaper and more accessible. And with BP releasing its report that we've already reached peak oil consumption and it will rapidly drop off after 2035 and possibly faster its getting harder for me to justify gas with that in mind. Plus even with all their issues Tesla is growing so much year over year. I canceled a cybertruck preorder for the Bronco.

I do think that some of the worst parts about electric offroad will be solved over the next few years as more people adopt but man, this is hard. Gas is really just so cheap and easy right now. Currently reserved a Badlands with the V6 but feeling torn. Would love to hear other thoughts!

You don't "invest" in a depreciating asset. You buy vehicles to serve a purpose, then you move on. Is it possible that an all gas Bronco will depreciate faster than a hybrid Bronco or an all electric Bronco? Maybe... But it's sort of like some folks have already said, people who want 4x4 vehicles like gas because you can carry extra fuel with you. So it will likely before all-electric is the norm on the trails.

Also, A hybrid will add another 2-5k to the overall cost due to batteries and motors. An all electric might add 5-10k. And performance electrics may add even more than that to the cost. You don't recoup that "investment" in electrics until you've owned the car for a long time, and even then it depends on gas prices and how much you drive.

Also consider this, the more electrics that are built, the less demand there will be for gas, the lower gas prices will go. So there will be a market for gas vehicles for a very long time.

Sponsored

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not interested in planning my road trips based on the location of charge stations. Charging has to become as easily accessible and “transportable” as gasoline stations and gas cans for some of us to abandon gasoline altogether.
That's the real issue with me. Neither my condo nor my two workplaces have charging stations. The nearest one is at a Walgreens a mile away. Until charging stations are more universal, an EV is unpractical.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If they offer a PHEV (or any kind of Hybrid) option for our reservation order come this December, I will almost certainly go with it. I'll probably get shamed for saying this, but I'd rather see that offered than a Raptor or Warthog option.

giphy.gif

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally no, I'm happy they gave us the gas engine options. Ford wasn't going to give us a diesel and a 5.0, and apparently the 3.5L from the Raptor wont fit. So we'll see what engine option they give us next, probably the hybrid engine option out of the new F150. Since Jeep will be rolling out their 4xE hybrid power train it would a smart assumption that for will probably add a hybrid soon. But now that Ford has the Bronco to compete against the Wrangler, it's going to be better for us the consumers. So maybe Ford will try to move quick with a hybrid because Jeep's will be out soon. And who knows if Jeep would've consider putting a V8 back in the Wrangler if the Bronco wasn't coming back. We all know that the one thing Ford probably won't do that, unless it's super expensive and super limited run.

But fully electric, I don't think we're close to seeing that. I think depending on how well the Mach-E does and what they learn from development, I could see it happening probably 3-5 years down the line. My hope would be that they would have the fully electric be sold along side the EcoBoosts.

I personally don't want a hybrid or fully electric even though i know that future is coming quick. If I can't get NA engine, I'll take Ecoboosts over hybrid or electric everyday until the stop selling them.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But a hybrid yes. I’m very surprised there was no hybrid option available right away with the sport.
As am I, also VERY surprised the Sport is not towable as it is the perfect tow vehicle for RV'ers.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have zero interest in a purely electric vehicle now and in the next few generations of horrifically destructive battery technology.

Beyond lack of infrastructure, the EV industry is polluting at levels not seen since the world was at war and in new and exciting ways.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.