Sponsored

Anyone else hoping that there will be a reveal of a fully electric Bronco? Or pretty much happy with the gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Like the people who said the DC-3 would be obsolete 10 years after WW2, don't tell Buffalo Airways.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnn.com/travel/amp/aviation-douglas-dc-3/index.html

ssets%2F140602064531-buffalo-airways-dc-3-exterior.jpg

There's a ton of birds, big and small, still flying from the 40s. The piston engine isn't going away anytime soon. Fuel might get more expensive, but it will be quite a few years down the road before it's really an issue.

Electric planes might be cool, but the thought of having to overnight just to refuel won't sit well with most.
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm sure I'm not the only one eyeing the new plug in wrangler.
So with its impressive 25 mile range, your trails will have to be close by. When you get there, on dead batteries, how much torque is left for off-roading without the electric assist?

But the trade-off is you still get that legendary FCA lack of quality and free death wobble.

Sponsored

NewtoOffroading

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So with its impressive 25 mile range, your trails will have to be close by. When you get there, on dead batteries, how much torque is left for off-roading without the electric assist?

But the trade-off is you still get that legendary FCA lack of quality and free death wobble.
I don't mean to be rude but do you actually not understand how plug-in hybrids work? I figured most people on a car forum would have a general understanding of how the system works but I'm happy to explain it.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I don't mean to be rude but do you actually not understand how plug-in hybrids work? I figured most people on a car forum would have a general understanding of how the system works but I'm happy to explain it.
Yes, I completely understand how hybrids work, I may even consider buying a Bronco hybrid, if they make it an HEV, like the new F-150, and not a PHEV.

The Jeep 4xe has a published range of 400 miles, while the electric only mode is an underwhelming range of 25 miles, in ideal conditions. Getting to your favorite trail, running on gas most of the time, does not compensate for the higher initial cost of the purchase. Further, I don't want to have to carry a generator when its time to plug-in when I'm in the middle of nowhere. I don't want to count on Jeep building their solar charging stations in the places I may want to go.

But forgetting all that, it is an FCA product, where Quality is Job #Last, plus you get the rougher ride of an SFA vs the Bronco IFS and the Jeep still includes free death wobble.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sponsored

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m cool with gas/diesel. The only thing electric I want is a Tesla Model 3 eventually

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Probably not a concern in our lifetimes. But I would be totally down for a plug-in hybrid if the numbers made sense. I do think this might be the last manual-trans gas vehicle I buy though.

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When people talk about EVs taking over, it all makes sense to me till you think about people living in townhomes, condos, apartments, rentals. This is no small portion of the population. Is anyone without a garage just supposed to go to a charger whenever they need more juice?

Not only is going elsewhere to charge inconvenient, its going to be pricey. All those people who work 2 jobs, get home and have to feed the kids, they don't have time to sit at a charging station. Maybe if you can get it down to 10 minutes a charge, but until new battery tech comes out and becomes widely available, EV is going to be "the future". Add to that the notion that a large portion of people drive beat up old cars because that is all they can afford. The used electrics they'll be able to buy won't be sitting pretty with fresh batteries that can hold the "300mi of range" they claim when new.

Could EVs take over in the next 10 years? Maybe, but the EVs today won't still be on the road in 10.

And all of that isn't to say electric will never take over, I fully believe it will, but I think it will be 10 years before we can really start asking if gas will be gone in 5-10 years. (My money is on 25 years. Cheap but crappy EVs in 5 years (subaru cheap, 25k), cheap and doable EVs in 10, Another 5 years (15 total) for the cheap and doable EVs to get into the hands of less well to do people. By this point chargers should be widespread. Another 5 for "Mitsubishi mirage" cheap EVs to become reasonable (and the "subaru cheap" to become what a standard subaru is like today in terms of range and refueling). Tack on the final 5 for those subaru cheap EVs to circulate down (since no one buys mirages)

Or it could be 10 because technology advancement is on an exponential curve and elon will make half hemp, half asteroid batteries that never lose capacity and clean the air so well it throws us back down the well of ice age temperatures
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.