Sponsored

Anyone else reconsidering due to lack of payload?

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just found this article comparing the 2021 Bronco to the Wranger. It doesn’t mention anything about the payload with the Sasquatch package, but it does talk about the payload varying from trim to trim.

From the article:
Payload ratings do vary between two- and four-door Broncos, however. Two-door models feature a max payload capacity of 1,170 pounds, while four-door models can carry up to 1,370 pounds. The Wrangler’s max payload ratings vary depending on which trim level buyers opt for, but range from 1,081-1,220 pounds for two-door models, and 1,160-1,310 for four-door models.

Here is the article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fordau...ifications-are-competitive-with-wrangler/amp/
Wow, imagine that....almost exactly matched (a tiny bit over) to their ONLY direct competitor...do the 240,000+ Wranlger buyers each year and millions of owners bitch about it? Do they find it a problem to mod it heavily with lots of heavy stuff?...this an insane thing to get caught up in.

It's not an issue of whether or not the truck can handle over 6000 lbs, but I feel like it's a technicality that can used against you in insurance and maybe warranty claims at Ford. "Something broke? You've been driving it over weight, not our problem."

This is just speculation on my part of course, but it sucks to have to even think of that. To be honest, I never really knew what GVWR was until I joined this forum ? so maybe this type of thing isn't a big deal?
Use Wrangler as an example, and the millions on the road, similar payload, hundreds of thousand that have been heavily modified...and see if you can find examples of this? Worrying over nothing....
Sponsored

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No concerns at all. I have done more dangerous things

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No.

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe this?:

2016-10-11_04-36-12.jpg
This cracks me up. I have a home made trailer based on a Chevy Cavalier axle, angle iron frame, a treated lumber floor, old ladder racks off of a work truck, and I threw an aluminum faux diamond plate box on the tongue. My buddy calls it my “Clampett Wagon”. It’s ugly but it can haul a 4wheeler and a couple of kayaks just fine.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, imagine that....almost exactly matched (a tiny bit over) to their ONLY direct competitor...do the 240,000+ Wranlger buyers each year and millions of owners bitch about it? Do they find it a problem to mod it heavily with lots of heavy stuff?...this an insane thing to get caught up in.

Use Wrangler as an example, and the millions on the road, similar payload, hundreds of thousand that have been heavily modified...and see if you can find examples of this? Worrying over nothing....
You mean I can't compare this to an SUV that it isn't directly competing with? Can I compare it to a sports car, I mean why is the Bronco so underpowered compared to a Porsche 911?

nailedit.gif

Sponsored

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you guys ever heard of a SuperDuty crew cab long bed? There you go. You don’t want this tiny little toy. It will never be able to do what you need it to do. It’s been nice hearing from you. You can buy those Super Duty’s like right now too, no waiting.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are concern about GVWR, you might want to understand any differences in the weight of the MIC top versus the Shadow Black Mod top. If Ford was aware of any GVWR concerns months ago, the late availability of the Mod top might have been part of their GVWR management plan.

Having experience in the field of high-end fiberglass ocean kayaks, painted fiberglass is significantly heavier than unpainted molded-in color.
You mean you make kayaks and tell people to take them in the ocean! Aren’t you afraid of insurance liability!

gettk

Big Bend
First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C300
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
After reading through the payload thread, I'm probably going to start looking at other options. I mean, I guess I could just wait until the kids are out of the house but with 2 adults and 2 teenagers, we're already over 600lb and I was looking at a 4-door 2.7 SAS BL. I thought my wife's TRD Off Road Tacoma was bad at 950lb payload...but ~700lb just does not work for us.

I won't consider a Jeep. Guess that leaves me with either a lesser Bronco, a 4Runner (depending on payload...local dealer has a TRD Off Road Premium and it's $12k less than the Bronco I had priced out) or just keeping my truck and picking up a SxS and trailer. Even though I love my truck, 5 years and 110k miles in, I've got the itch...

What to do...what to do...
Damn - never thought my Bronco payload would be the core motivator for losing weight. WTF. We'll all be guzzling Phillips MOM like Floyd Mayweather before a fight just to load up and head to the beach!

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's not an issue of whether or not the truck can handle over 6000 lbs, but I feel like it's a technicality that can used against you in insurance and maybe warranty claims at Ford. "Something broke? You've been driving it over weight, not our problem."

This is just speculation on my part of course, but it sucks to have to even think of that. To be honest, I never really knew what GVWR was until I joined this forum ? so maybe this type of thing isn't a big deal?
The possible problem now is that it is in peoples heads. If you (anyone) let it stay there and you think and think and think about it then it WILL AFFECT how you drive and your enjoyment of the vehicle. THIS IS NOT A WISECRACK OR DIG. If it is in your head to that extent then I would fully plan on looking at a different machine (stinks I know). It needs to be out of your head.

$0.02.

OP
OP

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How much shit are people planning to take overlanding?!? It’s insanity that people are worried about payload
Driver and passengers count toward available payload. The example I used would leave me with less than 100lb and that is with nothing else in the rig beyond myself and my family. It isn't even an overlanding thing for me, it's not even DD capable if the spreadsheets in the GVWR thread are right.

Sponsored

BronkoNagurski

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The possible problem now is that it is in peoples heads. If you (anyone) let it stay there and you think and think and think about it then it WILL AFFECT how you drive and your enjoyment of the vehicle. THIS IS NOT A WISECRACK OR DIG. If it is in your head to that extent then I would fully plan on looking at a different machine (stinks I know). It needs to be out of your head.

$0.02.
Thanks for the input, that seems to be the consensus among people who know way more than me. Good to know others aren't worried about it.

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think it is the lack of knowing that is really bothering people more than anything.
I am not terribly concerned about capacities., but I might like to maximize them, which is difficult with so little info available a week before ordering opens.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's kind of weird seeing the payload comparisons that people are making. This is an SUV and, depending on trim, a heavily armored SUV. Did people really think that steel bumpers and all those skid plates were made of air?

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's kind of weird seeing the payload comparisons that people are making. This is an SUV and, depending on trim, a heavily armored SUV. Did people really think that steel bumpers and all those skid plates were made of air?
Well, admittedly I have not (and will not) look at specs, comparing to say a Durango which IIRC can tow a boatload I get the concerns/confusion.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know for sure what the payload will be? I know there has been some educated guesses but for gods sake my Jetta tdi sportwagen has a 990lb payload Capacity.
Off-topic, but I had to get a small dinghy (boat) transported from FL to VA. I used uShip, which is like a ride-sharing app for freight transports. All the quotes were coming in like $1500+, which makes sense when you consider they were all HD pickups pulling enclosed trailers (so figure 12mpg, maybe). One guy quoted $850, which seemed too good to be true, but I talked to him and he seemed legit.

The boat shows up (on time, and in perfect shape) in a 12' enclosed trailer being towed by a TDI Sportwagen. He said he averaged like 30 mpg on the way up. His expenses are less than half his competition's, because he was thinking outside the box.
Sponsored