Sponsored

Anyone else reconsidering due to lack of payload?

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep. A 4dr Rubicon payload of 1,081 is significantly more (35% more) than a 4dr BL (non-sasquatch) of ~800lbs.
Please explain where you are getting a payload of 800lbs.
Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. :)

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After reading through the payload thread, I'm probably going to start looking at other options. I mean, I guess I could just wait until the kids are out of the house but with 2 adults and 2 teenagers, we're already over 600lb and I was looking at a 4-door 2.7 SAS BL. I thought my wife's TRD Off Road Tacoma was bad at 950lb payload...but ~700lb just does not work for us.

I won't consider a Jeep. Guess that leaves me with either a lesser Bronco, a 4Runner (depending on payload...local dealer has a TRD Off Road Premium and it's $12k less than the Bronco I had priced out) or just keeping my truck and picking up a SxS and trailer. Even though I love my truck, 5 years and 110k miles in, I've got the itch...

What to do...what to do...
This is just a guess, but I expect the tires are ‘C’ Load rated. Would moving to ‘E’ load rated tires and stiffer springs/struts increase the load capacity?

OP
OP

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OK, so I've decided that since I don't have a reservation, I won't be able to get one until '22 anyway. By then everything will be out there. So I'll just wait to decide.

To the "get a Superduty" crowd. I've got an F150 with 1800lb of available payload. Truck is great. I just want something different, I don't NEED a truck (and I'd like something I can take out on the trails and full size trucks don't fit on the trails around here all that well...too wide and too long...too many trees). it has nothing to do with being over weight overlanding, it is the day to day constant weight issue that is a problem for me (sure, some of you can ignore it, apparently ignorance really is bliss).

So I'll just wait and see...and by then I'll be a year closer to kids out of the house and I'll decide then. Not like I can order one today and have it here in 10 weeks...if I got in the queue now, I'd probably still be looking at a year out.

It's kind of weird seeing the payload comparisons that people are making. This is an SUV and, depending on trim, a heavily armored SUV. Did people really think that steel bumpers and all those skid plates were made of air?
Factory skid plates are typically not anywhere near what the aftermarket stuff is. They tend to be stamped steel, one and done and not very heavy. Similarly, the steel bumpers are not going to be the beefy $2k aftermarket stuff made of 1/8" steel plate. They aren't made of air but they aren't going to be that heavy either.

This is just a guess, but I expect the tires are ‘C’ Load rated. Would moving to ‘E’ load rated tires and stiffer springs/struts increase the load capacity?
Nope, not really much you can do to change the GVWR once it's set. Those things will reduce your available payload though because they will be heavier.

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Factory skid plates are typically not anywhere near what the aftermarket stuff is. They tend to be stamped steel, one and done and not very heavy. Similarly, the steel bumpers are not going to be the beefy $2k aftermarket stuff made of 1/8" steel plate. They aren't made of air but they aren't going to be that heavy either.
Based on the base curb weights it seems like all those things potentially add a significant amount of weight. So while maybe not as hefty as aftermarket, they're certainly a lot heavier than their plastic counterparts

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My apologies. I meant to type 1,160 for the 4dr rubicon rather than the 1,081 for 2dr.
What?

No, I mean you said 800 lbs greater payload on the Jeep than the Bronco, but I don't see that number anywhere in the article...

From the article:
Payload ratings do vary between two- and four-door Broncos, however. Two-door models feature a max payload capacity of 1,170 pounds, while four-door models can carry up to 1,370 pounds. The Wrangler’s max payload ratings vary depending on which trim level buyers opt for, but range from 1,081-1,220 pounds for two-door models, and 1,160-1,310 for four-door models.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fordau...ifications-are-competitive-with-wrangler/amp/

1160lb payload for the 4dr rubicon is 210lbs LESS than the stated payload for the Bronco (according to that article).

I'm so confused.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Based on the base curb weights it seems like all those things potentially add a significant amount of weight. So while maybe not as hefty as aftermarket, they're certainly a lot heavier than their plastic counterparts
Based on the tables I put together on the other thread, I est:

90 vs 10 lbs (plastic) for the front bumper.
50 vs 0 for the bash plates
50 vs 10 for the rear bumper
60 vs 20 for the rock sliders versus steps
=210 additional lbs

And when you start to get into the weeds of what trims have more lock outs than others (to gauge and rank weight), the category of "armor" is more impactful than a v6 upgrade (152 lbs) and sometimes more impactful or equally impactful as a sas upgrade (which varies based on tires of non sas version). So at a minimum, we know that armor is more than a 152 lb deficit. Additional evidence - a 2.7 non-sas BLs has more lock-outs on BnP than a Wildtrak... And a 2.3L BL sas (with a 152 lb lighter engine) also has more lock-outs than a Wildtrak. Armor > engine upgrade. And guess what, that Wildtrak has the same lockouts as a 2.3L Badlands when you add bash plates to the wildtrak . So engine plus bash plates is pretty similar to weight of a 2.3l badlands, or around 200 lbs attributed to armor

Roughly two hundred pounds doesn’t sound like a big deal. That’s like having your buddy sitting shotgun. But if it’s the difference of 650 payload vs 850, that could actually deter someone from moving forward. This truck doesn’t really have 200 lbs of payload to spare if you’re trying to load up a 4 door.

Ford Bronco Anyone else reconsidering due to lack of payload? D693ECB7-63BE-4A6B-967A-501E990E85D4

Last edited:

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve owned countless vehicles and have never once paid attention to how much payload the car was supposed to carry.

Though, I did need to tow a. ‘71 el Camino 200 miles with a 2019 Highlander. Pretty sure the car and trailer exceeded the weight limit.

I drove 55 down I5 and I80. Used something call common sense. ?

Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No, but I'm either getting a Base or Big Bend without Sasquatch so not really an issue for me. Should leave me well over 1000lbs even with a few upgrades to wheels/tires/etc.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Agreed. I changed my build. It's really just being smart and careful with the BD and BL builds, if you care about payload (some dont).

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No.
Sponsored