Sponsored

Anyone else reconsidering due to lack of payload?

MasonPaul

Badlands
First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander and BMW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's kind of weird seeing the payload comparisons that people are making. This is an SUV and, depending on trim, a heavily armored SUV. Did people really think that steel bumpers and all those skid plates were made of air?
That's all true, but Ford promoting a Bronco for overlanding which a 2.7 squatched vehicle can't do unless you don't have friends to join u.....can't even add a roof rack. Ford shouldn't say it seats 5 people unless they specify they're midgets. .02 :)
Sponsored

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nope, I have a RAM3500 which will do my heavy hauling.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope, I have a RAM3500 which will do my heavy hauling.
But I wouldn’t call 3000-3500lbs as heavy hauling and needing a 3500 for.

OP
OP

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I dont get it... the thread says GVCW includes a 150lb driver and passenger, plus at least 924lbs of additional payload.

Even if you load it with 5 200lb adults (seems an unlikely scenario...), you have 300lbs in the base assumption, and 700lbs towards your payload, leaving still 224lbs of capacity.

am I misreading something?
Payload is GVWR-curb weight. Curb weight includes all fluids required for operation including a full tank of gas and any factory installed options and accessories but nothing else, it does not include passengers (and neither does "available payload").

Not sure where you're getting your "includes 150lb driver and passenger plus at least 924lb additional payload" from but that is not how GVWR, GCWR or anything else are calculated.

Drive the tow vehicle with trailer, driver, all passengers and anything else in or on the vehicle or trailer onto a scale...that number needs to be below GCWR

Drive the vehicle with driver, all passengers and anything else that will be in or on the vehicle for a trip onto the scale, that number needs to be below GVWR. If towing, drive onto the scale so that the trailer is not on the scale so you include tongue weight...still need to be below GVWR.

A loaded 4-dr BL has very little available payload. Put five 200lb guys in it and drive to a scale, it will be over GVWR.

Might be different with a vehicle that the doors can come off but most people have 50-100lb of crap in their vehicle that they don't even think about. Added floor mats, pile of change, tow strap, emergency kit, first aid kit, glove box stuffed full of mcdonalds napkins...it all adds up.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I don't have enough friends but are a lot of you guys really driving around with five 200lb people?

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe I don't have enough friends but are a lot of you guys really driving around with five 200lb people?
No, but wife & I (300lb total), 2 dogs (140lb total), 400lb tongue weight of offroad camper (even though they state 350lb, but my 3390lb camper has tongue weight of just under 12%). So you can see that's 840lbs in a 4dr BL, 2.7, lux, hardtop which is what raises the GVWR concern.

And before you say I need a truck...I have a fully capable truck but a 3,390lb offroad camper isn't considered a heavy a** trailer. Wife would be trading her very offroad capable '18 GC Trailhawk for the 4dr BL and I'd like to take the Bronco out on trails vs always taking my big truck on the trails (which has done great on the trails thus far).

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, but wife & I (300lb total), 2 dogs (140lb total), 400lb tongue weight of offroad camper (even though they state 350lb, but my 3390lb camper has tongue weight of just under 12%). So you can see that's 840lbs in a 4dr BL, 2.7, lux, hardtop which is what raises the GVWR concern.

And before you say I need a truck...I have a fully capable truck but a 3,390lb offroad camper isn't considered a heavy a** trailer. Wife would be trading her very offroad capable '18 GC Trailhawk for the 4dr BL and I'd like to take the Bronco out on trails vs always taking my big truck on the trails (which has done great on the trails thus far).
I get the weight issues. I just don't see many people going camping with their four 200 pound friends in the same car. Also, is that 3390lbs for the Patriot camper?

KJR50

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not telling U.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No, never. But I did go on a diet a year ago and lose 25lbs since.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Or maybe one passenger on the way to Walmart? Just saying. ;)

Ford Bronco Anyone else reconsidering due to lack of payload? FatWalmart

• Haha
Reactions: Jdc

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ideally, I was hoping the Bronco could perform as well but with the coolness of removable top/doors. Maybe I was expecting too much.
Remove the doors and top and, voila, payload goes up! ?

This guy gets it! I ordered a 2 door and I'll hook up a trailer for the 3 times per year I need more room.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get the weight issues. I just don't see many people going camping with their four 200 pound friends in the same car. Also, is that 3390lbs for the Patriot camper?
Yes, Patriot Camper X1 GT that has majority of their available options (webasto heater, RedArc TVMS, inverter, solar panels, additional kids room & awnings). 3390 is fully loaded with gear & clothes, 40gal on fresh water, 3 gal of diesel for webasto, 2-11 lb propane tanks, dog food for 2 large dogs, fully stocked pantry and fridge.

Reactions: Jdc

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, never. But I did go on a diet a year ago and lose 25lbs since.
Ive been out of college for 17yrs, still weigh the same and don't have much weight to lose so that's not an option for me.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This guy gets it! I ordered a 2 door and I'll hook up a trailer for the 3 times per year I need more room.
Yes, it is nice! My trailer is loaded at all times in the garage and we can be out the door in 30 minutes by just filling the water tanks, throwing our clothes and dog food in, loading groceries and hooking it up to the tow vehicle.

DougP.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
i drive to Maine a few times in the summer with a group. we load up vehicles with people and/or gear for anywhere from 5-10 days in the woods (in a cabin), 15+ miles down dirt logging roads, some maintained some not.

Over the years I've done it on my own loaded with gear and back seat out (2 door jeep rubicon) and other times I've done it with 3 good size adult males squeezed in + me (for the 5-6 hour drive).

the idea that a 2 door bronco squatch with 4 males in it and making use of the extra storage space over the jeep and loading it up might exceed the max payload..... uggggg.

trailers over that distance at 65-80 mph are a pain, and maintained logging roads are full of sharp edged rocks, total pain in the ass for flats.

be nice to see ford look into aluminum or other weight savings ideas for bumpers and armor.

edit: apologies, this post popped up, i didn't realize how old it was. sorry for resurrecting!

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i drive to Maine a few times in the summer with a group. we load up vehicles with people and/or gear for anywhere from 5-10 days in the woods (in a cabin), 15+ miles down dirt logging roads, some maintained some not.

Over the years I've done it on my own loaded with gear and back seat out (2 door jeep rubicon) and other times I've done it with 3 good size adult males squeezed in + me (for the 5-6 hour drive).

the idea that a 2 door bronco squatch with 4 males in it and making use of the extra storage space over the jeep and loading it up might exceed the max payload..... uggggg.

trailers over that distance at 65-80 mph are a pain, and maintained logging roads are full of sharp edged rocks, total pain in the ass for flats.

be nice to see ford look into aluminum or other weight savings ideas for bumpers and armor.

edit: apologies, this post popped up, i didn't realize how old it was. sorry for resurrecting!
Late to the game masshole. I never said no one ever travels like this but that's it's not common. Tell your freeloader friends to take their own cars 🤣. Also, unless you pack extremely light how the hell do you travel with camping gear for 4 people for 5-10 days?
Sponsored