Sponsored

Anyone else reconsidering due to lack of payload?

MotoCeptorMan

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang, 2013 Ram, 2003 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much shit are people planning to take overlanding?!? It’s insanity that people are worried about payload
Is it insanity to enjoy camping and need to bring some stuff to enjoy the great outdoors? On this particular camping trip, I was only able to take 1 kayak instead of 2 because I had 5 passengers instead of 4 (needed cargo carrier for tent, sleeping bags and other gear normally filling the 40% fold-down rear seat). We were definitely at/near the 1150 lb payload limit on this trip, but the rig handled the load with ease. Ideally, I was hoping the Bronco could perform as well but with the coolness of removable top/doors. Maybe I was expecting too much.

P1010092.JPG
Sponsored

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just found this article comparing the 2021 Bronco to the Wranger. It doesn’t mention anything about the payload with the Sasquatch package, but it does talk about the payload varying from trim to trim.

From the article:
Payload ratings do vary between two- and four-door Broncos, however. Two-door models feature a max payload capacity of 1,170 pounds, while four-door models can carry up to 1,370 pounds. The Wrangler’s max payload ratings vary depending on which trim level buyers opt for, but range from 1,081-1,220 pounds for two-door models, and 1,160-1,310 for four-door models.

Here is the article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fordau...ifications-are-competitive-with-wrangler/amp/

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Everything is so over regulated now. Companies always test these things out and cut the max way back. If a ladder says 200 lbs, it’s good for 300. I think how much I’ve put in my Thule boxes, both roof and hitch over the past 10 years and know how much I’ve been over. Never an issue.
Like others have said, I need towing. Boat, snowmobiles, trailer, etc.
BTW the payload on my 2015 BMW 328i is 1,010 lbs. Payload in Bronco Sport is 1,000 lbs.
Everyone talks big sh#t about regulations and “gut meter” etc. until an issue comes up and then they can’t get to a lawyer fast enough to sue the other party or blame the government/lonbby to get laws passed.

In my world, you go overweight, you up your risk of fireballs and death exponentially.

There is a reason (multiple) there is a GVWR. Period.

JK

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think anyone understands you can't have a tow-truck, dump truck, ultra 4 rig, and Ferrari handling all in one.

WELL, THAT'S WHAT WE WANT! FIX ITTT!!!!!.......;)

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the Gladiator Rubicon with the diesel engine has a 899 lb payload. I thought that was pretty low for a truck.
Yep and exact reason I didn't go from my f150 to the gladiator rubicon eco, knowing that the tongue weight of my offroad camper is 400lbs. People were not finding out their payloads until delivery.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just found this article comparing the 2021 Bronco to the Wranger. It doesn’t mention anything about the payload with the Sasquatch package, but it does talk about the payload varying from trim to trim.

From the article:
Payload ratings do vary between two- and four-door Broncos, however. Two-door models feature a max payload capacity of 1,170 pounds, while four-door models can carry up to 1,370 pounds. The Wrangler’s max payload ratings vary depending on which trim level buyers opt for, but range from 1,081-1,220 pounds for two-door models, and 1,160-1,310 for four-door models.

Here is the article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fordau...ifications-are-competitive-with-wrangler/amp/
Yep. A 4dr Rubicon payload of 1,081 is significantly more (35% more) than a 4dr BL (non-sasquatch) of ~800lbs.

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No. I’ve never thought about the payload of any vehicle I’ve ever owned. There is a huge difference between what actually works and what let’s you check an NHTSA box.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the article:

Here is the article:

Yep. A 4dr Rubicon payload of 1,081 is significantly more (35% more) than a 4dr BL (non-sasquatch) of ~800lbs.
Please clarify @2Jeeps&PatriotX1

You say “Yep” but then to me it looks like you contradict the article.

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2015 Jeep JKU with metal bumpers, winch, fenders, larger tires, etc., with a max payload of 1190. Think I broke GVWR before I set foot in it. Rides and drives fine even after have all my tools, recovery gear, jack, backpack, clothing.....not worried about what they claim the Bronco's GVWR is. May not be able order everything I want on my BL with the 6cyl and auto, but will order those other accessories like the brush guard and roof rack from the dealership later.

sanford

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Subaru Crosstrek, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After reading through the payload thread, I'm probably going to start looking at other options. I mean, I guess I could just wait until the kids are out of the house but with 2 adults and 2 teenagers, we're already over 600lb and I was looking at a 4-door 2.7 SAS BL. I thought my wife's TRD Off Road Tacoma was bad at 950lb payload...but ~700lb just does not work for us.

I won't consider a Jeep. Guess that leaves me with either a lesser Bronco, a 4Runner (depending on payload...local dealer has a TRD Off Road Premium and it's $12k less than the Bronco I had priced out) or just keeping my truck and picking up a SxS and trailer. Even though I love my truck, 5 years and 110k miles in, I've got the itch...

What to do...what to do...
Maybe this?:

2016-10-11_04-36-12.jpg

Sponsored

BronkoNagurski

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I understand some people’s concern but doesn’t everyone get that this is a fully ARTIFICIAL, SELF IMPOSED weight limit?

Ford chose to be in Class 1 (< 6000 lbs). No government agency came to Ford, inspected the vehicle and said, ”based on your design and functional capabilities, the Bronco must be in class 1 and therefore your max weight limit is 6,000lbs.” Ford CHOSE to be in class 1 on their own, and solely so they could be “in the same class“ as Jeep. But if Ford didn’t change one single thing on the Bronco and tomorrow decided to change to class 2 (6,001 to 10,000 lbs) that same exact rig with no structural changes would likely be be allowed to be in Class 2 and be able to have a massive payload - WITH NO CHANGES TO DESIGN.

So be real - the truck itself CAN handle some extra weight. No matter what class it’s in, just don’t drive crazy with stupid weight on board.
You're right it's an artificial number, but my main concern is liability. If you've ever dealt with insurance, they pull all the stops to avoid paying. I can see them using this pretty easily to weasel out of claims. This would especially such if you're not the one at fault and get screwed because you had 4 people of average weight in your rig.

Last edited:

broncoskip

Outer Banks
First Name
Broncoskip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

i still don't understand what the problem is with payload capacity on the Bronco. 200lbs overweight is not something i would worry about, and I doubt you will notice it in the handling.

I am pretty sure the Bronco can handle more weight than the Government Classification that it falls into. It's the government who decided the cutoff is 6000lbs, not Ford. The next cut off is 8500 lbs, and if Ford made the Bronco with the idea it can handle 6500lbs of gvrw, but they stick in the 8500lb Class 2A, people are going to be like "Oh, my Bronco can handle 8500lbs! Let's pull 8500lb trailer with it.

But if it really concerns you, go pick up a Tremor F150

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you are concern about GVWR, you might want to understand any differences in the weight of the MIC top versus the Shadow Black Mod top. If Ford was aware of any GVWR concerns months ago, the late availability of the Mod top might have been part of their GVWR management plan.

Having experience in the field of high-end fiberglass ocean kayaks, painted fiberglass is significantly heavier than unpainted molded-in color.

BronkoNagurski

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i still don't understand what the problem is with payload capacity on the Bronco. 200lbs overweight is not something i would worry about, and I doubt you will notice it in the handling.

I am pretty sure the Bronco can handle more weight than the Government Classification that it falls into. It's the government who decided the cutoff is 6000lbs, not Ford. The next cut off is 8500 lbs, and if Ford made the Bronco with the idea it can handle 6500lbs of gvrw, but they stick in the 8500lb Class 2A, people are going to be like "Oh, my Bronco can handle 8500lbs! Let's pull 8500lb trailer with it.

But if it really concerns you, go pick up a Tremor F150
It's not an issue of whether or not the truck can handle over 6000 lbs, but I feel like it's a technicality that can used against you in insurance and maybe warranty claims at Ford. "Something broke? You've been driving it over weight, not our problem."

This is just speculation on my part of course, but it sucks to have to even think of that. To be honest, I never really knew what GVWR was until I joined this forum ? so maybe this type of thing isn't a big deal?
Sponsored