Anyone else reserve the Hummer EV SUV?

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where’s the political BS, your post is the first I’ve seen mention politics. I’m taking a neutral stance.

Coal is the future.
Solar takes thousands of acres to get small amounts of energy - thousands of acres is highly inefficient and is in itself pollution. Wind isn’t cost effective and like solar has issues regulating supply.
Nuclear is a no go, what’s the last nuke plant we have?
Gas cannot supply a baseline generation
You can only build so many dams for hydro.

I have to say outside of this forum I have never seen the hang up with coal. One day there may be an electric Bronco and it will run on clean US coal.
Maybe, just maybe you are correct.....we will see. I just don't see it. The technology is fairly new. Solar, wind, hydrokenetic energy sources will get more effecient, along with whatever other sources of energy is discovered in the future. Just about every other industrialized country is turning the page on coal. But somehow the "most innovative" country can't somehow......
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe, just maybe you are correct.....we will see. I just don't see it. The technology is fairly new. Solar, wind, hydrokenetic energy sources will get more effecient, along with whatever other sources of energy is discovered in the future. Just about every other industrialized country is turning the page on coal. But somehow the "most innovative" country can't somehow......
Germany relied on coal to power it through this abnormally cold winter and have reaffirmed it’s place. - I’m not sure if they plan to keep them on permanent standby when situations like that happen or continue as a baseline

It seems shortsighted to get rid of the most reliable form of energy to replace it with other sources incapable of providing the base load capacity.

China has built hundreds of new coal plants - those how ever do not have scrubbers or emissions equipment necessary to be clean.
Innovation is how we have made coal a clean source and why we can produce 2.24GW in a single coal fired plant with two turbines instead of building a solar farm 14,000 acres in size to match its output.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belews_Creek_Power_Station
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhadla_Solar_Park

As a (fairly) young engineer myself I love the technology and innovation that goes into running and operating the systems of modern power plants.

Last edited:

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, I won’t debate you on your battery lifespan claims. My comments come from my studies (6 years) but not from ownership of an EV. Let’s say your lifespan claims are valid and move on.

I found this today on the potential to recycle the batteries, which while interesting and may be technically possible, the penalty is the recycling process is very energy intensive and dangerous (fire risk and toxic gas release). So the question then becomes, how are EVs using the best-available saving any energy over their life from manufacture to disposal/recycle? And how much will recycled batteries cost compared to the ones produced from the mined element source?

The article does indicate that recycling of the elements is possible, though, so I take back my statement that it can’t be done.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56574779
Sponsored