Sponsored

Anyone else thinking of ceramic coating their new Bronco?

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, what I'm reading online from different places is that there are consumer grade ceramic coatings, and then there are better grade ceramic coatings that only the professional coaters use. The consumer grade stuff supposedly protects your paint a significantly shorter amount of time.
Get the better stuff... Thru a detail shop ??
Sponsored

Reactions: bek

ItsAfram

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used consumer grade ceramic coating on my 4Runner, and I think it works great! Its not gonna last you 2-3 years that most detail shops will sell you on. But its super easy to apply, lasts much longer than a typical wax, and makes washing super easy. Detail shop quoted me $900 for ceramic coating, and I was able to do it myself for less than $100...

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I talked to a guy that runs a body shop and he loves the ceramic coatings. He said do it yourself and it will only cost a couple hundred bucks in materials. He also said it cuts down on cratches (doesn't stop them) and turns washing into a rinse job. I'm not sure about the PPF, but I'm interested in that too.
I did read an article about PPF that said use Kavaca brand and then do a ceramic coating on top of the PPF. The article was on ceramicpro.com

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure if I will on the Bronco but my car has a professional coating that is 3 years old now (the car was 4 years old when I did it so the paint correction was a great touch)... its really impressive, a simple 20 minute wash (touch-less with foam canon) and it looks like I spent hours waxing and detailing (the coating was put on brake calibers etc. everything) it doesn't prevent road rash but i can honestly say it looks better than most brand new cars even 3 or 4 days after the wash

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm thinking PPF... Talked to my dealer yesterday, Ford does not do PPF at the factory or the dealership, they usually work with a 3rd party to facilitate.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ceramic coating for sure. I ceramic coated my 2019 Challenger by myself brand new and the car is still beautiful, repels water and dust and when i’m lazy I can just rinse it off and it looks good. Professional shops aren’t paying you for the ceramic, they’re charging you for paint correction, which you can also do yourself. On a brand new car without many issues you’re fine just buffing it out and polishing it so there aren’t any swirls or major imperfections from the factory. Then just wipe on the ceramic and buff off, it’s stupid easy. Shops use a higher grade, longer lasting version and on high end packages they do multiple coats and bake it on.

If you have $1,200 free dollars and don’t want to be bothered that’s your best bet. If you’re hands on and don’t mind spending a weekend doing it yourself the $100 is well worth it in the long run. In a few years do it again, I prefer to do things myself.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here’s to hoping Ford or my dealer offer a PPF option.

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Negative. Did paint correction and ceramic coating on my Challenger and regretted it constantly. I was all in for about 1700 bucks at the time on it and it was just never worth it. Doing it yourself? Maybe. To me though, it's not worth the time or cost.

I could have paid for an awful lot of details with a good wax for that same amount of money. Not to mention all I ever did with the ceramic coating was fight water spots. No one ever mentions that part. If water (especially treated water) sits on your ceramic coating, it will etch it in a heartbeat and you'll spend a day with a vinegar/water solution trying to get it out and then resealing it.

If you want your Bronco to be a garage queen, have at it, but I will never go down that path again. Wash, wax and enjoy driving it. That will be my approach.

Sponsored

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I honestly have never even heard of these things.... a truck like this, I just wash it and drive it. It might get a detail on its birthday every now and then.

HEMI_Shaker

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challanger 392 Shaker (Sublime gree
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ceramic coat my car myself. Yes it takes several days but its not hard, just takes time. This is my process;

1. Wash car with citrus or stripping soap to remove any oils and old wax coats.
  2. Clay bar car
  3. Use a iron remover like Iron- x type of spray to remove any break dust or iron particals stuck in the paint
  4. Start paint correction by using a light compound with an orbital polisher
  5. Follow up with a polish compound
  6. Spray all car panels with an IPA to remove the oils left from the compound and polish.
  7. Apply your ceramic coating of choice.
  8. Apply a second coat.
  9. Done
I would advise sticking with the line of care products from the maker of your ceramic coating as they are engineered to work together and extend the life of the ceramic coat.

No need to wax over your ceramic as it is not needed. Some products also make a topper coat to enhance the shine and slickness of the ceramic.

I use Car Pro products on my 2015 challenger and get about 3 year of protection as long as i wash and use Reload every 2 months.

For my Bronco I am going to try out the new Graphene coatings.

If anyone wants links to the products I use feel free to message me. I get all my stuff off Amazon.

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want ultimate protection then you do PPF and then ceramic coat. ceramic coat will not protect you from pin striping.
I did this on my wife’s car and mine. I will do this on the bronco. Stone chips alone from just driving on the streets are killer on paint otherwise

HEMI_Shaker

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challanger 392 Shaker (Sublime gree
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just to clarify I use Ceramic coating to make washing and cleaning easier. Its not going to prevent scratches and swirls. I spend the time to apply the ceramic then its an easy 30 minute wash and dry. I got tired of washing, drying, sealing and waxing once a month. It would take me several hours to complete the car detail.

I use a tent when I wash to prevent etching of hard water. This will happen regardless of if your car is coated or not.
Sponsored