Sponsored

Anyone else thinking of ceramic coating their new Bronco?

mikeandmiki

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-350 Platinum, '16 Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I will definitely be ceramic coating my Bronco. I have done it myself on both my Challenger and my wife's Forester. It makes cleaning a breeze, especially removing bugs from the front surfaces.
Sponsored

HEMI_Shaker

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challanger 392 Shaker (Sublime gree
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will definitely be ceramic coating my Bronco. I have done it myself on both my Challenger and my wife's Forester. It makes cleaning a breeze, especially removing bugs from the front surfaces.
This 100% (y)

ahobie17

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Toyota 4x4, 79 Chevrolet C10, 07 Honda S2000
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Paint correction...come on guys I HATE that term...call it what is is...wet sand and buff...buff means use a harsher rubbing compound (which leaves swirls) if needed then a swirl remover (finishing compound)...it's buffing for God's sake not paint correction...oh and swirls there aren't swirls in factory (or body shop) applied paint unless it's been touched up with a buffing compound....freshly painted virgin paint does not have swirls orange peel YES...no swirls...swirls come from buffing with rubbing compound........how would you get swirls from paint directly from the spray gun?? Car manufactures don't buff cars....maybe in some small spots....that's to labor intensive to buff each car.

one must beware car manufactures use as little paint as they can get away with...this means thin clear coat....don't be overly agressive when sanding and buffing...beware those edges, work the buffer pad away from the edge not towards it....edges burn though very easily...

Last edited:

HEMI_Shaker

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challanger 392 Shaker (Sublime gree
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Paint correction...come on guys I HATE that term...call it what is is...wet sand and buff...buff means use a harsher rubbing compound (which leaves swirls) if needed then a swirl remover (finishing compound)...it's buffing for God's sake not paint correction...oh and swirls there aren't swirls in factory (or body shop) applied paint unless it's been touched up with a buffing compound....freshly painted virgin paint does not have swirls orange peel YES...no swirls...swirls come from buffing with rubbing compound........how would you get swirls from paint directly from the spray gun?? Car manufactures don't buff cars....maybe in some small spots....that's to labor intensive to buff each car.

one must beware car manufactures use as little paint as they can get away with...this means thin clear coat....don't be overly agressive when sanding and buffing...beware those edges, work the buffer pad away from the edge not towards it....edges burn though very easily...
Swirls also come from washing your paint with gritty nasty water also. Have you ever seen how they wash your car at the dealer before pickup? They use the same bucket and spong/rag for multiple washings. Most automatic carwashes will do the same because those cleaner brushes hold onto all the dirt from thousands of car washes.

Knew a guy that went through a car wash that destroyed his paint. A truck went through ahead of him and had some bailing wire in the bed that the brush picked up ?

I only use a med compound then finishing compound/polish on a new car. Just to knock down some of the orange peel and level it for coating. Doubt a new car would need to be wet sanded. As you said clear coats and paints are thin so you need to ne careful. Most over the counter compounds are not going to burn through the clear coat. Especialy if your using a modern orbital buffer/polisher.

Sponsored

jbf19

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Chevrolet Blazer and 2015 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ceramic coat my car myself. Yes it takes several days but its not hard, just takes time. This is my process;

1. Wash car with citrus or stripping soap to remove any oils and old wax coats.
  2. Clay bar car
  3. Use a iron remover like Iron- x type of spray to remove any break dust or iron particals stuck in the paint
  4. Start paint correction by using a light compound with an orbital polisher
  5. Follow up with a polish compound
  6. Spray all car panels with an IPA to remove the oils left from the compound and polish.
  7. Apply your ceramic coating of choice.
  8. Apply a second coat.
  9. Done
I would advise sticking with the line of care products from the maker of your ceramic coating as they are engineered to work together and extend the life of the ceramic coat.

No need to wax over your ceramic as it is not needed. Some products also make a topper coat to enhance the shine and slickness of the ceramic.

I use Car Pro products on my 2015 challenger and get about 3 year of protection as long as i wash and use Reload every 2 months.

For my Bronco I am going to try out the new Graphene coatings.

If anyone wants links to the products I use feel free to message me. I get all my stuff off Amazon.
I need to learn about this.

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI, Ducati Panigale 959, Triumph T100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Considering PPF w/ ceramic coating on top.

Toffs

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I find the high quality synthetic waxes do a fantastic job at preserving an automobile's finish. I have only professionally ceramic coated one vehicle (my wife's car - BMW X5 for a cost of $2K) and there is no question it made maintenance of the finish easier. However, I will probably not coat my Bronco, but detail it to the best of my ability. I have found that a regular hand wash is THE critical element in preserving finishes. If you want to dramatically increase your car washing results, use deionized water (I use a CR Spotless system).

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutely not ceramic coating an off-road vehicle. The problem with ceramic coating a vehicle that is going to get trail applied pin-striping is that now it is exponentially more difficult for a DIY person to buff out the surface pin-striping/imperfections. Contrary to popular belief, ceramic coating doesn’t really help prevent scratches. It makes washing easier and quicker and less prone to swirls from dirty water, but preventing scratches? Not a chance it helps against scratches. A 9H Hardness coating is literally a lead pencil test. They drag a lead pencil across the coating and if it scratches, it fails, and they keep going until they find a softer pencil lead that doesn’t leave a mark.

Best bet? Get it professionally corrected, or if you’re an enterprising individual, do it yourself, and apply a ceramic sealant or ceramic spray coating that isn’t a year long or 5 year coating. The ceramic sealant will still keep washes quick and minimize swirls from home washes, while still giving you the ability to buff out trail pinstriping. Save that $1,500 on a ceramic coating application and drop it into some other mods.

Just my .02...and they’re worth probably less than that lol

Sponsored

CFC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee overland
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are 100% correct , putting ceramic coating . It would be a complete waste of money to put it on a vehicle if you are off-road in it . PPF would also be a wast of money. The film would look terrible covered in light small scratches everywhere .
Now before you ague with me , I owned a company that installed film .
Remember if you only do quarter of the hood and not whole hood, your have a lovely dirt or dust line on all the edges.
Don’t waste your money if off roading .

CFC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee overland
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sand hitting it will discolor real fast .

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is anyone else reading this thread and going wtf? I haven't washed my beater in years and I still get compliments on how good it looks. As for a Bronco.. its a off road rig. Bring on the scratches, swirls, pin strips, dings, dents, etc. Save your time and money and wear them with pride.
Sponsored