Sponsored

Anyone else thinking of ceramic coating their new Bronco?

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes I do that myself...old detailing life...emerges when I look at new car paint and remember why the orange peel the finish. ;)
Is orange peel from the factory kinda standard now? My wife bought a 2018 VW Tiguan R-Line in habanero orange and it has orange peel on every panel. I was floored when she brought it home. I want to get Cyber Orange on the Bronco and I am worried it will come this way as well...
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
goto to any detailing videos on youtube. The purpose of paint correction before you ppf is to get the paint surface 100% smooth and if you see the imperfection under the PPF then this may upset the owner

but I agree, detailing cars And the money one spends is a waste of time ... unless you care and care to do it right.

Yes, this I know... Ive done my share of polishing and paint correction on my vehicles. But before you wrap it?? Waste of time.

Last edited:

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
orange peele unfortunately is normal these days. I have it on my 2019 raptor. Wrap your car in a matted ppf and you will not see it.

Is orange peel from the factory kinda standard now? My wife bought a 2018 VW Tiguan R-Line in habanero orange and it has orange peel on every panel. I was floored when she brought it home. I want to get Cyber Orange on the Bronco and I am worried it will come this way as well...

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, this I know... Ive done my share of polishing and paint correction on my vehicles. But before you wrap it?? Waste of time.
Most here are talking about a clear PPF wrap, not a colored opaque wrap. It will only highlight any imperfections below... and lock them in under $2.5-4k of film.

That's why the talk of paint correction. I think.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most here are talking about a clear PPF wrap, not a colored opaque wrap. It will only highlight any imperfections below... and lock them in under $2.5-4k of film.

That's why the talk of paint correction. I think.
I see... May be worth the extra work though. However, I've seen cars with this sorta protection put on a few years ago, and it turns in to a brittle, cracked and yellowed shit that's gotta be basically scraped off. I'd you think it's expensive putting it on, be prepared for 3 times the labour to remove it.

Sponsored

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see... May be worth the extra work though. However, I've seen cars with this sorta protection put on a few years ago, and it turns in to a brittle, cracked and yellowed shit that's gotta be basically scraped off. I'd you think it's expensive putting it on, be prepared for 3 times the labour to remove it.
The premium PPFs these days have 10 year warranties and are designed for UV and yellowing resistance. If you go cheap, yea, you're gonna be F____D.

Don't buy the cheapest film you can source from China.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The premium PPFs these days have 10 year warranties and are designed for UV and yellowing resistance. If you go cheap, yea, you're gonna be F____D.

Don't buy the cheapest film you can source from China.
But again... $2500 to $4000 to do this?
You could probably replace and repaint quite a few panels for this price... If you're that worried about "pin stripes"

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But again... $2500 to $4000 to do this?
You could probably replace and repaint quite a few panels for this price... If you're that worried about "pin stripes"
I haven't recommended it to anyone. I just think it's interesting and something that I would think about. I've had it on just the front of the hood on one of my previous vehicles and it was really nice to have not a single rock chip over 4 years of driving... and I'm one of those drivers prone to rock chips.

It's thier fault... they shouldn't be in the left lane.

Full wrapped PPF is definitely something usually done to exotics where even basic paint work is going to cost $10k+. It's a bit unusual to be talking about it for a mass market vehicle.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't recommended it to anyone. I just think it's interesting and something that I would think about. I've had it on just the front of the hood on one of my previous vehicles and it was really nice to have not a single rock chip over 4 years of driving... and I'm one of those drivers prone to rock chips.

It's thier fault... they shouldn't be in the left lane.
Hahaha! ????

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Linex an entire vehicle adds several hundred pounds.
No it doesn’t. It’s the weight of the product. Raptor lining (a DIY lining product) can cover a Tacoma with I think three fullsize bottles. SHIPPING weight of one large kit is 22lbs. Even it were three of these kits it’s 66lbs (and that’s including the box, bottles, supplies etc.)

JK

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone who owns a rotary and orbital polisher and has years of experience correcting my own vehicles.... I've definitely been old school when it comes to protection... A couple of layers of sealant and multiple coats of pure carnuba (not only for protection but also the visual enhancement)
But maybe I'll just give ceramics a try on my Bronco... as much for ease of cleaning as anything else.
Applied by myself, of course...
And, well, layers of wax on top to make that Cyber Orange POP!

BDSQACH

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger... Civic Type R
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I can swing the price when I get the Bronco, this will be the paint job and mine (Minus the star):

Ford Bronco Anyone else thinking of ceramic coating their new Bronco? 1596993914298
I already have a car that's coated and pampered. I really am not going to go through the ceramic/PPF thing again. BTW in California shops charge way too much...

Don't like any of the colors offered; maybe that will change if I'm able to see in person at the dealership. So considering white and... taking it into the wild and having as much fun as possible. When the time comes repaint with the money i would have used "protecting" it from the trails.

I do like this paint job!

Ceramic coat= easy to wash and stays clean longer... Con: water spots can be an issue depending on water quality. (Don't wash in the sun)

PPF= will prevent rock chips and scratches to paint... Con: expensive and vary in quality depending on installer.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just assume that's the standard for today. My daughter-in-law just got her new car out of the shop after a deer and it was obvious what was painted in the shop vs factory. I'm sure they tried to match but could only create so much orange peel and still sleep at night.

bek

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do it yourself... For less than half that price.
Well, what I'm reading online from different places is that there are consumer grade ceramic coatings, and then there are better grade ceramic coatings that only the professional coaters use. The consumer grade stuff supposedly protects your paint a significantly shorter amount of time.
Sponsored