Sponsored

Anyone Figure out a Dual Battery set up yet?

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As the title says, has anyone figured out a place where a 2nd battery can be added for a dual battery setup?

Is it even possible?
Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Possible for sure, just hook up a second battery in parallel.

I guess it’s not entirely clear to me why you’d want to do that though…
Extra capacity would be my guess.

From all the looking around I’ve done if you do not have the factory muffler it would fit up in there if you you have a tray made or bought one. Then you can pull the rear tool box out to access it from the top, and grommets left and right of the tool box just behind the panels for interior access.

I have a air tank in that area and will be adding a second arb dual in that spot.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Pretty common upgrade....Lots people run lots of electronics and don't want to drain their only battery.

OP
OP
Raskew

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To run a fridge/freezer when camping.

I know it can be done. I guess it should be more of a question of where the 2nd battery can be located.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To run a fridge/freezer when camping.

I know it can be done. I guess it should be more of a question of where the 2nd battery can be located.
Ah, duh... that should have been obvious.

I was thinking it was for extra cranking amps in cold weather, which doesn’t really make sense on a gasoline engine... so I was mega confused. Used to drive diesel box trucks up north, where you often needed two batteries to get the truck started. And most people are using lithium iron phosphate or AGM batteries for on-board electronics (like refrigerators)... so didn't even occur to me that you would use a lead acid for that purpose.

Anyway... I can tell your right now that you aren't going to fit another battery in the 2.7L engine bay. You may be able to squeeze it in the 2.3L engine bay, but personally I'd just run a heavy gauge wire to the back of the vehicle and put it back there somewhere. Probably mount it close to the refrigerator to minimize the power loss due to line resistance.

TavisB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ManSquatch, 10 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I want to do a DC-DC +solar setup. Hoping someone else will have a good solution so I don't have to figure it all out myself :).

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As the title says, has anyone figured out a place where a 2nd battery can be added for a dual battery setup?

Is it even possible?
Do you mount a 2nd battery because you're running a winch?

CARdiac

First Edition
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 Alpha, MINI Cooper S JCW, TVR 280i
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Extra capacity would be my guess.

From all the looking around I’ve done if you do not have the factory muffler it would fit up in there if you you have a tray made or bought one. Then you can pull the rear tool box out to access it from the top, and grommets left and right of the tool box just behind the panels for interior access.

I have a air tank in that area and will be adding a second arb dual in that spot.
I would love to see the setup with the air tank

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe look into carrying Jackery box or something similar. It can be charged from by the vehicle when its running, and provide auxiliary power when its not. Much more versatile than adding a second battery. Or you might consider one of the Antigravity "re-start" batteries. Lithium-ion, lightweight, up to 80 Ah, 2000 cranking amps, and it has a built-in reserve for "jump starting" the vehicle if you happen to run the battery down. They're not cheap though, but neither is running two batteries along with the associated mounting apparatus and switching gear. For what its worth, a friend of mine owns Genesis Off-Road, one of the companies that makes dual-battery setups for Jeeps. I'll ping him to see if he has anything in the works for Bronco.

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ, BMW Z4, Mini Clubman JCW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I run a Redarc DC/DC Charger in my jeep with a Engel fridge and the setup is amazing. I'm looking to do the same in the Bronco but haven't found a place I like for the 2nd battery. I'm not totally sold on the Jackery type set-ups but may end up there. I like the system contained on the vehicle.

JKBL4

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been waiting on this to figure out a good dual battery solution. I have the dometic fridge on a slide, but so far have been powering it from a teardrop trailer when camping. I'd prefer to go dual battery in the bronco, I'll update if i figure it out. Or give up an buy a jackery. either way.

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just started planning my overlanding build. I guess the Jackery systems are great for that plug n' play capability, but not for me.

Has anyone seen this battery? Or others like it? https://www.takethetruck.com/blog/overlanding-battery

I was looking to add LiFePO4 batteries and/or upgrade the chassis battery. I'm thinking that single battery, adding an upgraded inverter, and buying a portable battery jump/start pack, done.

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, rethinking the Lithium setup!
Sponsored