Sponsored

Anyone getting a Non-Sasquatched Badlands?

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Big tires are heavy and need to be balanced more often, trash wheel bearings and steering parts, they just make everything work harder (which is why I like the idea of getting a SAS and swapping out for smaller wheels and cash). I put up with wide tires grabbing road cracks on a Corvette, but with all the lockers and mechanical bits of the SAS package and BadLands I can operate at a high level off road with tall-skinnys, and enjoy the pavement too.
There is a great video on Bronco Sport sister forum (a link in this forum) that has a stock Bronco Sport doing some challenging Moab rock, followed by a new good looking lifted with 37's Jeep Rubican having to make three times the runs -same rock, Bronco Sport still in picture. A lot of desert race vehicles have skinny tires - a couple of feet of suspension travel, and Corvette crate motors help.
I also like the idea of Sasquatch with smaller tires. If the package offered the 33" tires and rims from the Badlands, it would be perfect for me. I wonder how easy it would be to sell the stock rims & wheels?

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
....FWIW there's a company called Rockslide Engineering that makes a powered step in a rock rail. Supposedly they'll have a Bronco version eventually.
I wheeled with these guys at last years “hump and bump“ event. Their step sliders on the Jeep came down hard on a rock and bent in the drivers rail In the middle of the two doors all the way across. The step part that lowers when you open the door had an obvious bend caused when the slider was supporting the weight of the Jeep on the rock. The step still dropped free and functioned perfectly. Nice product that stands up. I will have to see if I still have a pic.

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I also like the idea of Sasquatch with smaller tires. If the package offered the 33" tires and rims from the Badlands, it would be perfect for me. I wonder how easy it would be to sell the stock rims & wheels?
Check out Raptor factory wheels on ebay. These SAS tire wheels could be another overpriced take-off - Rubican takeoffs sell welltoo. Dealer might do swap for $2K discount. They should be hot, probably fit Rangers (little rubbing) and all F-150's, huge market.

Sponsored

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yah I feel like the High Package is enough for like 95% of people, I like heated steering wheels but 3000 dollars over the High Package make the Lux package feel like a rip off
I want the BL non Sasquatch 4dr with high package.

Badplaid72

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Humble apologies if this has been covered before.

I recall an article or something somewhere... that stated the non-squatch BL has greater articulation and more wheel travel than the BL with squatch, because there are limiters in the squatch to allow for the 35s. Is this true? If it is true, then the necessary lift of the squatch for the 35s is made possible by reducing the travel of the Bilstein shocks?

I wish the "2021 Preliminary Spec" pdf showed the offroad capability of the Sasquatch. I would like to see the specs for the Base with SAS against the BL non-squatch. This spec sheet is comparing Base with 30" tires (according to the 21_Bronco_lineup), against 35" tires in all categories, except there they want to show the BL has greater range because of the disconnect. But what the document does not show is what all of the different categories are for 33" tires? Show us the comparison between a base squatch, and our BL. I want to know... Ground clearance, Suspension travel, Approach angle, Breakover angle, Departure angle, Maximum water fording. Really let us know what's up and give us the numbers for the Badsquatch too.

Of course, I'm probably just gonna stick with straight BL still and Fox it up in 3-4 years after the warranty is left behind.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recall an article or something somewhere... that stated the non-squatch BL has greater articulation and more wheel travel than the BL with squatch, because there are limiters in the squatch to allow for the 35s. Is this true?
It's true but IIRC it's less than half an inch of travel

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think you can option the Dana 210 front on the Black Diamond

I'm well aware of that pdf. Yes it says "available" under the front axle. If you look down, under "locking front differential" it says " available w/ sasquatch". It's been said before that on the front end, non locking differentials will have an aluminun carrier (m190) and locking differentials will have an iron carrier (m210). So, putting these bits of information together, unless I'm missing something else, you have to get the locker to get the m210 and you have to get the sasquatch to get the locker. BUT, it doesn't specify under the m210 that it's sasquatch only, leading to my comment on conflicting information and having to wait until the B&P to see what we can get. After all, we are getting a "Mut/ruts" GOAT mode according to that pdf

It had been confirmed in one of the Q&A with Ford that the front locker was NOT available on the Black Diamond. The 210 front axle was a primary reason for wanting to go to Badlands. The front swaybar disconnect being much more useful with Independent Front Suspension is another reason.

Personally, it was the 210 front, sway bar disconnect and having essentially full-time 4wd instead of low-speed 4wd which made the $6,100 pill in going Badlands not so difficult.

Getting back to the specific topic of this thread: I have zero intention of going with Sasquatch. Sure the 35" tires look cool, but having driven the 2.3t in the girlfriends Ranger for about 5,000 miles now, it will be a beast of an engine when paired with a proper manual, especially with the crawl gear. I don't think the 2.7 is necessary for Bronco at all, will not have an automatic transmission for a daily driver again, and already have >7.0 ltr big block in my Thunderbird for when I really want some torque and crap gearing to under-utilize it.

Edit: Should clarify: 2-door. However, the 2.3 will be plenty enough of HP and usable torque in 4-door trim, if you have to fit kids....... Or your dog is incapable of sitting on uneven surfaces (this has to be the most hilarious reason people posted for not wanting a 2-door).

Last edited:

Sponsored

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It had been confirmed in one of the Q&A with Ford that the front locker was NOT available on the Black Diamond. The 210 front axle was a primary reason for wanting to go to Badlands. The front swaybar disconnect being much more useful with Independent Front Suspension is another reason.

Personally, it was the 210 front, sway bar disconnect and having essentially full-time 4wd instead of low-speed 4wd which made the $6,100 pill in going Badlands not so difficult.

Getting back to the specific topic of this thread: I have zero intention of going with Sasquatch. Sure the 35" tires look cool, but having driven the 2.3t in the girlfriends Ranger for about 5,000 miles now, it will be a beast of an engine when paired with a proper manual, especially with the crawl gear. I don't think the 2.7 is necessary for Bronco at all, will not have an automatic transmission for a daily driver again, and already have >7.0 ltr big block in my Thunderbird for when I really want some torque and crap gearing to under-utilize it.
Do you plan to get the 2 or 4 door badlands?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I recall an article or something somewhere... that stated the non-squatch BL has greater articulation and more wheel travel than the BL with squatch, because there are limiters in the squatch to allow for the 35s. Is this true? If it is true, then the necessary lift of the squatch for the 35s is made possible by reducing the travel of the Bilstein shocks?

I wish the "2021 Preliminary Spec" pdf showed the offroad capability of the Sasquatch. I would like to see the specs for the Base with SAS against the BL non-squatch. This spec sheet is comparing Base with 30" tires (according to the 21_Bronco_lineup), against 35" tires in all categories, except there they want to show the BL has greater range because of the disconnect. But what the document does not show is what all of the different categories are for 33" tires? Show us the comparison between a base squatch, and our BL. I want to know... Ground clearance, Suspension travel, Approach angle, Breakover angle, Departure angle, Maximum water fording. Really let us know what's up and give us the numbers for the Badsquatch too.

Of course, I'm probably just gonna stick with straight BL still and Fox it up in 3-4 years after the warranty is left behind.
Many threads on this topic, and it's a very curious topic...which definitely applies to this thread. There are published RTI scores for the entire Bronco line somewhere...but the short answer is best RTI score of all models currently planned is Badlands 2dr NON squatch. RTI score takes wheelbase into account therefore the 4dr won't score as well, however, there is no reason to believe the 2dr and 4dr suspensions aren't identical. The Ford reps have been questioned on why this is (and if somebody w/better search skills than me could find that thread please do!) and their answer was that "badlands unique suspension" and "sasquatch high clearance suspension" were the same except Sasquatch had to be "limited" in travel by 10mm (exactly where this is measured we don't know) to prevent tire rub w/35s. My take is that it will not be difficult to either A: sacrifice a small amount of flex, or add lift to fit 35s on a non squatch Badlands w/out rub, or B: Increase travel on a squatch by doing the same. I literally don't think there is a wrong answer here...but it has made for some great and lively discussion!

KozMQZ

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2dr badlands, 2.7l, no squatch. Adding 35's (34.5) aggressive AT tires to combat the crazy amount of snow we get here in the north country of NY.

Badplaid72

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Many threads on this topic, and it's a very curious topic...which definitely applies to this thread.. ...I literally don't think there is a wrong answer here...but it has made for some great and lively discussion!
Many thanks. Those are the conclusions I had come to. But this group seems a bit more on the ball than me so I thought I would ask.
Sponsored