Sponsored

Anyone installed JL Audio C1-650x in Kick Panel of B&O System?

BlueGhost

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor, 2018 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's actually what I ended up buying. Should be here mid week. But I do want to see about mounting the tweeters and plan to do some experimenting with moving them around before deciding on a permanent mounting location (or like you said, ditch them all together). I can report back here what I end up doing.
My understanding is that the B&O system has the 6.5 kick panel and 4 inch dash speakers on separate channels. I wonder if they are sending full range to the 6.5s or only mid/midbass, I know the amp is suppose have some DSP function built in. Let us know what you find.
Sponsored

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Some non-B&O people have talked about buying the woofer assembly to mount an aftermarket sub and amp. I think that's a waste of money (Ford sells it for around $250). Better to find an appropriate aftermarket enclosure and figure out a way to use the factory bolts. There is a lot of real estate over that wheel well.
Happen to have a part no for that? I'd buy it just to reverse engineer it not in plastic

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

DFNMAN

Base
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 2dr, 15' M3, 07' FJ, 03' M3, 79' 928
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looking hard at ordering a new set of speakers today, likely from Crutchfield so they can include adapters. I have been leaning toward a set of matching speakers from the same manufacture and series to replace all my 4" (3 dash and 2 rollbar) and the two 6" kick panel speakers. Been leaning towards a Morel series or the JL C1 series for all of them. A couple of problems though. First, it seems Crutchfield doesn't list them as fitting in the kick panels (which appears to be a common theme for many). Has anyone tried the C1-650x in the kick panel? I know other brands with tweeters that stick out to high will interfere with the grill. If you got them in, what did you think of the sound? I think these 6" speakers are going to have to carry the brunt of the mid-bass up front versus the dash so was thinking maybe upgrading these to even a better model, maybe a component with a built in crossover so I can mount the tweeter outside of the grill. Decisions decisions!

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13699042/JL-Audio-C1-650x.html?tp=78072
1642257154835.png

Second issue goes back to the 4" dash speakers. I am not sure I can even get a third JL C1 4" speaker for center channel. Based on my ears, that center channel is putting out a lot of sound (likely cause I have it in surround mode) so I would hate to leave an unmatched factory center channel in place with these higher end speakers everywhere else). I plan to call crutchfield soon and find that part out. Will post what I learn here.

Update:
I posted this further below but want to update here so there is no initial confusion. I did order the JL's but with one change, I bought the component version of the above 6" instead (JL Audio C1-650). It was only $20 more and shouldn't have any trouble fitting since the twitter is separate and can be surface mountable. I plan to experiment with the twitter location before I mount them permanently (or not at all if 4" speakers can cover the treble). They should be here midweek and I plan to install them over the weekend. I will report here my findings/decisions.

I put my tweeters where the dash speakers went. I used the adapters linked below. The small holes in them line up with the alignment pins in the dash perfectly. Then I pinched them down with the factory screws. They do need to be trimmed with a Dremel to sit lower, but it was super simple and they sound great in that location. I'd take pictures but I dont want to break the flimsy grille pulling it off again lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WGMW76V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You might be better off spending the extra $20 to get the JL Audio C1-650 component set and just not using the tweeters. This way you don't have to fit the 2-way 6.5 in the kicks and the 4 inch in the dash handle's the high end.
I thought about do something similar with Infinity Kappas. They make a 6.5 component that you can add a 2" or a 3" midrange. The crossover has a slide for selecting 2 or 3 way. Tweeter and mid would go in dash while woof would go in kick panel. I would need to know a little more about the signal being sent to the kick panels---whether some sort of filtering is needed for them.
Sponsored