Sponsored

Anyone know of a garage height warning sensor?

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve measured the height of my garage door, and with the Sas package, I’ll have only a few inches to spare. I plan to use some sort of Yakima box or roof rack at various times, but I just know I’m gonna forget about it and slam it into the top of my garage as I pull in. Does anyone know of a height or proximity warning sensor system out there to avoid a collision? I see laser beam systems for construction sights, but I’ve got nowhere to put them as they’d have to be out on the side of my driveway or something. I also see proximity sensors for the wall, which would replace the ‘ol tennis ball on a string method for correct parking depth. Anyone know of a sensor that might attach to the front top edge of the garage and provide a light or audio warning if something is too high to fit?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bonnie6G

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You were probably installed with the option at birth, They are called eyes. And others, with such equipment, can probably help after you install the Yakama rack, to check clearance the one and only time that is required.
Well, as I mentioned, I have measured and with a rack on the top of the Bronco, I know it’s not going to fit. Thanks for your helpful reply.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve measured the height of my garage door, and with the Sas package, I’ll have only a few inches to spare.
A simple solution is to install a switch on the garage door opener and disable it when the rack is installed. That may not be a solution for you if multiple bays share a single door or if your opener has a battery for power failure.

I know people that have damaged their vehicle or garage multiple times because they forget.

Other ideas:
  • flashing warning light installed on front garage wall that is enabled when rack in on.
  • use a remote instead of homelink and hide when rack is on

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bonnie6G

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A simple solution is to install a switch on the garage door opener and disable it when the rack is installed. That may not be a solution for you if multiple bays share a single door or if your opener has a battery for power failure.

I know people that have damaged their vehicle or garage multiple times because they forget.

Other ideas:
  • flashing warning light installed on front garage wall that is enabled when rack in on.
Thanks, unfortunately I’ve got both a dual port garage and a battery backup opener. I’m sure many people have had this issue, I’m surprised no one has come to market with a sensor like this. Seems like the right electrical engineer could make some tweaks to the parking depth sensor and have a very sellable product.

Sponsored

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Other ideas:
One idea a friend had for his garage and an F250 was to use the equivalent of old-school curbfinders sticking off the front of his garage at the right height. he knew if he hit those first, it was too tall.

OP
OP
Bonnie6G

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One idea a friend had for his garage and an F250 was to use the equivalent of old-school curbfinders sticking off the front of his garage at the right height. he knew if he hit those first, it was too tall.
I’m considering the option of using a laser-type option hung down off the overhang of the garage and set at the height of the garage cross beam. May look a little janky, but could provide the warning I’m looking for.

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m considering the option of using a laser-type option hung down off the overhang of the garage and set at the height of the garage cross beam. May look a little janky, but could provide the warning I’m looking for.
I was about to suggest that. Like the safety sensors many garage door openers use, just mounted higher and on something outside. Maybe lamps? (my garage has lamps on both sides where I could hide sensors like that). Then it would just be getting them wired to something to turn on a warning light.

OP
OP
Bonnie6G

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was about to suggest that. Like the safety sensors many garage door openers use, just mounted higher and on something outside. Maybe lamps? (my garage has lamps on both sides where I could hide sensors like that). Then it would just be getting them wired to something to turn on a warning light.
Yeah, exactly. I think that would work. But I do wish there was a simple small sensor on the market that could just a fix to the front of the garage cross-beam. Maybe my next million dollar idea!

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know on my jeep, the metal antenna on the hood is exact height of my highest roof point. If I see that flex in a parking garage, I know to back out.

nothing worse than getting making it into a parking garage entrance to find out the exit height is lower. Happened in my lifted f150. Had to get out and air down my tires in order to pull out lol.

Sponsored

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect & '22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Other ideas:
Put an obstacle in the parking space that has to be removed before you can enter as a physical get out of the vehicle reminder, or hang a warning flag/streamer on the inside of the garage door that would hang from the door in your slot when open to remind you. I would recommend to hang it only when the roof rack would be an issue. The human factor would set in if it is always there and eventually not serve its purpose.

Ford Bronco Anyone know of a garage height warning sensor? 1631376072177
Ford Bronco Anyone know of a garage height warning sensor? 1631376124587

Mikesmallcrawler21

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 F150 screw
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That moment when we realize... the minimum standard garage door should always be 8×9 in 2020 and beyond!!
My fix on the only 7x12 door I have...(others are 8×14 and 9×12).. and I'm speaking of soft top, when its just folded back one time, which makes it stick up like 8+ inches higher than normal, is to attach a cardboard paper with a big warning symbol on it.....to the little emergency release string that hangs down. So when I open door. It will be hanging down to remind to look up and see the position of my soft top. Hopefully it helps on that door.🤷‍♂️🙄

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fiberglass/plastic pole attached to front bumper? Kind of like a curb. feeler. Attach when using anything on the roof rack

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got used to not parking my Superduty in the Garage after putting a lift and 35's on,so will be the same for the Bronco.

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve measured the height of my garage door, and with the Sas package, I’ll have only a few inches to spare. I plan to use some sort of Yakima box or roof rack at various times, but I just know I’m gonna forget about it and slam it into the top of my garage as I pull in. Does anyone know of a height or proximity warning sensor system out there to avoid a collision? I see laser beam systems for construction sights, but I’ve got nowhere to put them as they’d have to be out on the side of my driveway or something. I also see proximity sensors for the wall, which would replace the ‘ol tennis ball on a string method for correct parking depth. Anyone know of a sensor that might attach to the front top edge of the garage and provide a light or audio warning if something is too high to fit?
Your brain and tape measure.
Sponsored