Sponsored

Anyone know of a garage height warning sensor?

OP
OP
Bonnie6G

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People are trying to help you with real solutions. Truth is we all know what you are asking for and we all know why it won't ever work, just didn't want to be condescending towards you, but as you are insisting, Here is the reason a sensor will not work;

if you pull into your garage at 1 MPH, that is about 1.5 feet a second. If your magical sensor is a foot out from the garage at rack height, that gives you 2/3 of a second to receive, process, and react to the light/buzzer/confetti dropping/whatever signal your sensor would trip. You then have to press the brake and stop the vehicle (all this has to happen in just over half a second). You are not that good. Nobody is.
I appreciate the help from those that are providing it, such as yourself. What I have zero patience for is snarky replies with no justification other than that person seems to purposely want to be a jerk.
I do understand the timing issue you bring up, though my garage door is a very tight fit all around so it’s gonna be a very slow and gentle process pulling in every time. Maybe a physical barrier just behind the door makes more sense.
Sponsored

Vantcrst

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Ford F-150, Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter Van,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This works well, unless the garage door is already open as you return home. The best solution is to just get a taller garage.
Your right but at least then you will be able to blame whomever left the door open :)

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can’t really conceive of a sensor that doesn’t involve a laser that’s measure your vehicle as you approach.

manually, I would solve this by not keeping a garage door opener in the bronco when the rack is on.

curious: are you really going to remove your roof rack entirely when not in use?

Last edited:

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just crash it once. You'll never do it again.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The easiest is to make or get yourself a hang tag for your rear view mirror or one that hangs down from your garage door when it opens.

You can also set up a digital reminder using your phone. For iOS, you can set up a reminder and tie it to a location. Activate the reminder when you have the roof rack on.

Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's doubtful you'll be putting on and taking off your roof rack with any regularity. In most cases you'll leave it on. Just plan to park in the driveway. Then worst case is you forget you can park in the garage when it's off.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bet you'll have zero issues remembering after the first 1-2 garage door replacements.

Could even do yourself a solid and put a little sign up to delay the inevitable.

This sounds like a problem not quite large enough to have a solution.
This is not a made up problem. Coming home late and tired one time, I forgot about the bikes on top of my vehicle. Luckily I was going slow and stopped right away, the damage was limited to just one bike which needed a new fork. I had a neighbor that did some serious damage to the roof of his car as the bike hit the garage and ripped the entire roof rack off.

Now when I put bikes on top, I place a large object in the way. Typically, I set up a 6 foot step ladder. It is a big enough visual that even I can't miss it. :)

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I appreciate the help from those that are providing it, such as yourself. What I have zero patience for is snarky replies with no justification other than that person seems to purposely want to be a jerk.
I do understand the timing issue you bring up, though my garage door is a very tight fit all around so it’s gonna be a very slow and gentle process pulling in every time. Maybe a physical barrier just behind the door makes more sense.
I think this is very close to what you are looking for. Unfortunately, the company went out of business in 2015. http://www.headsupsystems.com/products.html

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would also go with a physical barrier/reminder. Before you even get the roof rack out, put something in the way in the garage, something that nobody else in your household will move to "where it belongs". I like those plastic fences someone posted here, also baby gate might work, something you can fold up and put to the side. Or buy something like a traffic cone.

A sensor of some sort could be an interesting product, but would have to be attached to the roof rack and work similar to parking sensors. That would also be helpful when you're on a trip and might not remember there's stuff on your roof when you want to park in a city garage or something.

I won't fit in my garage (ground floor attic) anyways, but have to figure out how to remember that the truck is taller with the roof folded back when entering garages.

Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been thinking about the same issue with my soft top being half open. I was thinking something as simple as a section of soft rope tied off near the bottom of the garage door. Two or three feet should be enough. When the door is closed, it just lays on/near the floor. When the door goes up, it hangs down in your line of sight, like windshield height on the driver's side, as a reminder to check for your rack. If the rack isn't on, just drive in and the rope just goes up your windshield and onto the roof until the door is closed.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe have your spouse hide the keys from you when the rack is installed and only allow you to have them after a safety brief. 🤷‍♂️

BadBradBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I carry my fishing rods in a rod holder mounted on the back of my lifted Golf Cart. I have to remember to take them off before parking in the garage. The best warning I have found is the loud sound of my fishing rods snapping after I forgot. I’ll never forget again.
Sponsored