Sponsored

Anyone know of a garage height warning sensor?

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is tough because while the "obvious" solution is a laser bouncing off a reflector at garage door height, unless you have an extended overhang to mount it to, or mount it on arms extending away from the garage (may look... funny), you won't get enough warning before impact.

The other thought I had was get a motion sensor with an alarm, mount it to the top of the garage opening facing out, and then put something underneath to block the sensor from seeing "down" (like, put a small piece of wood or sheet metal to blind it from anything that would be below its line of sight), but I'm not sure how well that'd work in practice, and if you're too far away it would still end up setting it off.

I also just had the thought of getting some sort of two-part proximity sensor - one piece goes on the garage and the other goes on the roof rack. If they get too close together, you get an alarm. Not sure if there is anything out there like that, though.
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Make a fold-out wooden stand that you strap to the roof rack with Velcro when the rack is stored. Paint the stand orange and attach the sign some one earlier suggested. Now you'll have to remove the orange wooden stand from the roof rack BEFORE you mount the rack on the Bronco. Once the orange wooden stand is in your hand, you'll have to set it down some where. So just set it down on the driveway midway from the garage door, that way you will have no option than to stop and read the sign, which will remind you that you have the rack installed. Easier and cheaper than a laser enabled warning.

Or just custom make a horizontal triangular sign bracket that sticks out 12" from the front wall of the garage. Then hang chain from the end of the bracket that will hit the lowest part of the roof rack well in advance of the rack hitting the top of the garage door frame. Make it from 304 stainless steel so it doesn't rust.

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

haha. that sensor is called ā€œthe wifeā€ and getting out of my truck 4 times while backing her in. we good.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Iā€™ve measured the height of my garage door, and with the Sas package, Iā€™ll have only a few inches to spare. I plan to use some sort of Yakima box or roof rack at various times, but I just know Iā€™m gonna forget about it and slam it into the top of my garage as I pull in. Does anyone know of a height or proximity warning sensor system out there to avoid a collision? I see laser beam systems for construction sights, but Iā€™ve got nowhere to put them as theyā€™d have to be out on the side of my driveway or something. I also see proximity sensors for the wall, which would replace the ā€˜ol tennis ball on a string method for correct parking depth. Anyone know of a sensor that might attach to the front top edge of the garage and provide a light or audio warning if something is too high to fit?
That radio antenna everyone hates is your sensor.

Sponsored

SuckItMcGee

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB, 2020 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Put a mirror above the garage door.
I think this has to be the most straightforward option. Mount it in a way that the only thing you can see in the reflection from the driver's seat is the rack if it is installed, otherwise you would just see sky.

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always thought the radio antenna is handy!

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Deflate upon entry. šŸ˜„

BE5DAE2F-0159-405E-8CAB-4971DDDA1502.jpeg

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think this has to be the most straightforward option. Mount it in a way that the only thing you can see in the reflection from the driver's seat is the rack if it is installed, otherwise you would just see sky.
Mount a bicycle mirror ON the top panel of the garage door in such a way that you can see the top of your vehicle as it pulls in.

I deal with lasers/photoeyes on a regular basis. Way too expensive for a meaningful solution here.

Sponsored

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mini cooper, 2020 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just install a damn sign next to your driveway that says, ā€œstop you idiot and think about if you have a roof rack installed.ā€ Lol. I could see how it would be easy to forget, others have already busted their cars up doing this.

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mini cooper, 2020 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mount a bicycle mirror ON the top panel of the garage door in such a way that you can see the top of your vehicle as it pulls in.

I deal with lasers/photoeyes on a regular basis. Way too expensive for a meaningful solution here.
I completely disagree on that. Too expensive? A sensor is like $20-30.

You give me a proximity sensor, an ice cube relay and a base and I could easily wire this up where the battery backup would still work with it installed. This is elementary level electrical work.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

use a remote instead of homelink and hide when rack is on
This is a remarkably simple and effective solution. Well done sir.

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I completely disagree on that. Too expensive? A sensor is like $20-30.

You give me a proximity sensor, an ice cube relay and a base and I could easily wire this up where the battery backup would still work with it installed. This is elementary level electrical work.
I work in a paper mill, I have never seen anything cost less than $3,000.
Sponsored