Sponsored

Anyone know of a garage height warning sensor?

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve measured the height of my garage door, and with the Sas package, I’ll have only a few inches to spare. I plan to use some sort of Yakima box or roof rack at various times, but I just know I’m gonna forget about it and slam it into the top of my garage as I pull in. Does anyone know of a height or proximity warning sensor system out there to avoid a collision? I see laser beam systems for construction sights, but I’ve got nowhere to put them as they’d have to be out on the side of my driveway or something. I also see proximity sensors for the wall, which would replace the ‘ol tennis ball on a string method for correct parking depth. Anyone know of a sensor that might attach to the front top edge of the garage and provide a light or audio warning if something is too high to fit?
Get an awning and park it under that, or a blanket.
Sponsored

BP Bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have two suggestions
Get an second antenna that is the same height as the rack and install it when you install the rack. If the antenna hits the door stop.
Get an aftermarket back up sensor and alarm system. Install the sensor onto the the roof rack with a plug and the alarm inside the vehicle.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Build a taller garage.
Ford Bronco Anyone know of a garage height warning sensor? 6A02537F-7407-4C62-A2F7-944B81736A1F

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mini cooper, 2020 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here you go @Bonnie6G

Get 12V relay, base, IR sensor and a electrical box extension. Tap your 120V with the extension to line side of a 12V transformer and the other half to the normally closed of the relay, run off the other side back to your garage door recep. Tap your neutral for the transformer, run directly to recep. Take your 12V, run negative to coil and tap and run negative to IR sensor. Take IR return positive to your relay coil. Tap your battery backup and run the positive through normally closed.

Voila. When the IR sensor senses anything it will open the 120V and the battery backup and your garage door won’t even open. Problem solved. Less than $60 and an hour.

Ford Bronco Anyone know of a garage height warning sensor? D3ECE5F8-8FAD-436B-A748-32FD823DEA3A

https://www.amazon.com/Sensky-Funct...ocphy=9028899&hvtargid=pla-348578392016&psc=1

https://www.grainger.com/product/6C...VwhvUAR3ALwjNEAQYASABEgIOl_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.grainger.com/product/4V...V-RPUAR1_wwBhEAQYAiABEgLbm_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol I am an electrician, it’s easy. I just posted it, incredibly simple.
That circuit would kill power to the garage door opener whenever anything moves near the sensor. I thought the goal was to only trigger when the roof rack was on? Detecting something that small will require either a retro-refelctive or a through beam light sensor. I would want it to look nice since it will be located outside the garage door. I would also want the circuit to seal in with a "reset" button. Would not cost $3,000 at home because it would all be hard-wired with relays as you suggested.

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mini cooper, 2020 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That circuit would kill power to the garage door opener whenever anything moves near the sensor. I thought the goal was to only trigger when the roof rack was on? Detecting something that small will require either a retro-refelctive or a through beam light sensor. I would want it to look nice since it will be located outside the garage door. I would also want the circuit to seal in with a "reset" button. Would not cost $3,000 at home because it would all be hard-wired with relays as you suggested.
Im not doing a deep dive on sensors lol. I’d have to actually spend time going through their patterns and what not.

https://www.amazon.com/Taiss-Proxim...t=&hvlocphy=9028899&hvtargid=pla-569312154368

You can find one that works. A reset button would easily be added that could lock the relay in the on position. I do it all the time on grocery store back door buzzers. They don’t open until a button is pushed, takes 1 more wire.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Low clearance yellow tape or height of opening (ft., in.) like a bridge has but at the top of your garage opening. Won't stop you from entering but will be a constant reminder.

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is, unless you're backing into your garage like I usually do.
Ya, I think it’s a BC thing, people who can’t drive always backing in to park, very annoying! lol

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ya, I think it’s a BC thing, people who can’t drive always backing in to park, very annoying! lol
Umm, I'd say backing into a spot instead of pulling in takes more skill. I remember my old boss asking me "Why do you keep parking like you're about to pull off a bank heist?" lol
Sponsored