Sponsored

Anyone know the cost of a 1966 Bronco when it was new?

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd compare it to the price range of modern SUVs. They are all in the $30-$40K range. No Standard SUV is currently priced around or below $20K.
The apples to oranges issue here is that if you take the $30,000 2021 Base Bronco w/no added options, as much as we would consider it bare bones, back in the 1st gen days, this would have been the equivalent of a fully loaded luxury vehicle of any model. An example, my 1970 Ford Bronco was purchased new and was considered to be fully loaded and had a sticker price of $4,000 and was a special order purchase that actually cost $3,200. It had the optional 302 engine and it had the Sport Package (chrome trim, chrome bumpers, full wheel covers, matching door panels to the vinyl seat upholstery, etc) and had a bolt on Class 1 trailer hitch. Only the 3 on the column manual trans was offered, aftermarket under dash A/C was installed for about $400, and there was no power steering, no power brakes (4 wheel drum brakes), manual door locks, manual crank up windows, rear swing away tire carrier, the optional added gas tank, and only an AM radio and no emissions equipment as it was delivered to California as a 49 state vehicle (by way of St Paul Mn) and not equipped for Calif emissions (the gas tank sizes were smaller for Calif destined vehicles). Even though the 302 back then had a 200+ hp rating, that hp rating adjusted for today would be about 120 hp.

Thus if you could make the new Bronco equivalent to the 1st gen Bronco by removing the safety & convenience electronics, the airbags, and emissions equipment, an under $20,000 price for a Base 2 door could theoretically be achieved to make for an approx inflated equivalent cost new.
Sponsored

Deleted member 11056

Thus if you could make the new Bronco equivalent to the 1st gen Bronco by removing the safety & convenience electronics, the airbags, and emissions equipment, an under $20,000 price for a Base 2 door could theoretically be achieved to make for an approx inflated equivalent cost new.
And 3 people would buy it that way . . . personally, I'd like to be able to order one with roll up windows, manual locks, and no touch screen, but it's not worth the extra tooling costs for Ford to even make the option. Dealers wouldn't want to stock it either, because it would sit on the lot until the end of time.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Side by sides are not sold in the larger quantity of vehicles, thus if Ford were only making the same # of Broncos as side by sides, you’d likely be right......but the efficiencies of larger scale production could work......but this is all theoretical anyway

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel cheated! I demand a CB radio!

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having daily driven a 1960s vehicle, I can confidently say yes, cars are worth the increase in price.
My daily drive is also a 60's car, and don't miss any of the new features.
My wife doesn't like riding in it though. And my daughter calls it "a death trap" because it only has a lap belt, exposed metal everywhere, no air bags, no lane departure warnings, ABS, etc.