Sponsored

Anyone look at the New Land Rover Defender ????

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The TFL experience is enough to rule out a defender. However the circle jerk they got from Ford dealers trying to by the Raptor indicates this next phase is going to be a real challenge for many buyers.
Sponsored

Deleted member 13817

I know what you mean. Also, the interior cabin is quite airy from what I have seen. It is 3 inches wider shoulder width and about 2 inches more headroom. Coming from a JKU, I am ready for a bigger and more refined cabin, as well as lane assist and better safety features. No doubt a unibody will be better on the highway, helped even more with the air suspension. Lastly, it seems like they really have a great rubberized floor. To be honest, it looks a lot better than what I have seen on the Bronco. While the TFL Defender is a real black eye, they only had a check engine light they could not fix. Low stock made it difficult to replace. The other one was a bad install on a winch.
If you are excited, I get it. I’ve had 4 LRs, (2 RR and 2 discos). Range Rover was great on the highway since you mentioned highway ride. Air suspension is a thorn in the flesh in suburbia, much less being on a trail with one corner hugging the tire. TFL’s problems are just the tip of that iceberg. I am going to be honest with you, on good faith. If you are truly just considering the Defender I would say buy what you love. Appearance-wise I really like the new Defender. I LOVED all of my Land Rovers but engine lights came with all of them. I think you will be fine in the warranty period but I would strongly urge you to stay within that, man to man. If it weren’t for my experience with the costs of owning a LR I would buy a defender myself.
I only hope to add some value to your decision with my insight as our community sticks together! If you get one share some pictures with us! Good luck my friend!

Smalldog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jK
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you are excited, I get it. I’ve had 4 LRs, (2 RR and 2 discos). Range Rover was great on the highway since you mentioned highway ride. Air suspension is a thorn in the flesh in suburbia, much less being on a trail with one corner hugging the tire. TFL’s problems are just the tip of that iceberg. I am going to be honest with you, on good faith. If you are truly just considering the Defender I would say buy what you love. Appearance-wise I really like the new Defender. I LOVED all of my Land Rovers but engine lights came with all of them. I think you will be fine in the warranty period but I would strongly urge you to stay within that, man to man. If it weren’t for my experience with the costs of owning a LR I would buy a defender myself.
I only hope to add some value to your decision with my insight as our community sticks together! If you get one share some pictures with us! Good luck my friend!
I appreciate your warning, but I am pretty sure I will not be getting the new Defender unless the ride and interior of the Bronco are really disappointing, which I doubt. And even I do applaud the balance they struck between comfort and capability, and their utilitarian but sophisticated styling. Five years with my JKU has made me value the value of highway driving more than I used to, and the use of quality materials. Also, I want a better dealer network and don't want to deal with driving a luxury brand, and all that goes along with that.

NoMansLand

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After much debate, I canceled my Bronco reservation last week in favor of the Defender. If I were able to wait out the delays, not putting on so many highway miles and had more access to trails, maybe I would wait for the Bronco. Honestly, I don't think I would see the Bronco until this time next year and I had a 7/15 reservation (just my gut). I test drove a 110 and, other than the higher price tag, felt it had everything I was looking for. 3rd row seating, plenty of towing capacity, roomier interior, quieter ride (than a wrangler), and modern design with enough ruggedness to suit my style. I am infatuated with the original Defender design/concept and this pays enough homage to that coupled with modern comforts that my mind was made up. I certainly hope I don't come to regret that when I see all of you in you new Broncos from the window of the LR Service Department lounge.

teerussyo

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No convertible - no interest.

Reactions: BD1

Sponsored

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've seen a few of them on the roads recently - personally, I think they're hideous

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm not buying a defender until I can get rapid red interior door panels with grabber blue trim and a nice shiny tan dash with a black leather seat bottom to keep me warm all summer. They just don't know anything about fashion.

Smalldog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jK
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
After much debate, I canceled my Bronco reservation last week in favor of the Defender. If I were able to wait out the delays, not putting on so many highway miles and had more access to trails, maybe I would wait for the Bronco. Honestly, I don't think I would see the Bronco until this time next year and I had a 7/15 reservation (just my gut). I test drove a 110 and, other than the higher price tag, felt it had everything I was looking for. 3rd row seating, plenty of towing capacity, roomier interior, quieter ride (than a wrangler), and modern design with enough ruggedness to suit my style. I am infatuated with the original Defender design/concept and this pays enough homage to that coupled with modern comforts that my mind was made up. I certainly hope I don't come to regret that when I see all of you in you new Broncos from the window of the LR Service Department lounge.
You make a lot of good points, and I believe there is a chance it will be more reliable than previous models. I am looking forward to the many head to head comparison tests.

scuba

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good on ya for going for it. I'm in the same debate (I need the 5,000#+ towing capacity, so a new Defender would replace my current vehicle *and* be my midlife crisis mobile, rather than being an extra vehicle like the Bronco will be).

Please update us here on your experience. Of the 4 LR owners I know well (old Discos / LR3/LR4's), 3 hated the unreliability and can't recommend, and the 4th says the same thing, but just buys them under warranty (and lives close to the dealership).

Good luck, and keep us posted. (and no embarrassment about flip-flopping-- I've done it a few times)

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Watch this:

Step away from the keyboard - breath deeply - and imagine your future self in the middle of nowhere and whether you will feel confident or stressed with a Defender ...

Sponsored

NoMansLand

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Watch this:

Step away from the keyboard - breath deeply - and imagine your future self in the middle of nowhere and whether you will feel confident or stressed with a Defender ..
Having never owned one before, I am in no way a LR defender (pardon the pun). I get the inherent risk given LR's recent track record. Maybe it's no riskier than purchasing a newly introduced vehicle without being able to see one in person, let alone test drive it? I mean, we cant even decide what Area 51 or Cactus Gray actually look like, but most of us love it? I think Ford's reliability history will put most people's minds at ease, and it should. I have determined I am not an off road enthusiast nor do I aspire to be one. I just wanted to look like I was. I am in love with the look of the off-road style vehicle and the uniqueness/heritage of the Defender. I am certain many on this forum fall into the same category whether they want to admit it or not. The likelihood I will want to customize my next ride with a winch or lift kit is zero percent. I guarantee there are videos documenting bad vehicle experiences for almost every make and model and the Bronco will be no different. If anything a few of us will be here to document our satisfaction or regret with the decision to go another direction for all of your enjoyment.

goblue21

First Name
R.B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not a fan of the 4-door 110 model but the 2-door 90 model (which hasn't yet released) looks very sharp and muscular. I am cross-shopping the two -- strongly leaning towards the Bronco. The hangup is how well the lower trim Defender 90s feel and how much under MSRP I'd be able to get one for. It appears the 4-door 110s are beginning to go for a couple grand under MSRP. The 2-door 90 will have a base MSRP of $46,000. I'd never consider a higher trim version, which are in the $60s, but a 90 with a couple options for high $40s warrants considering. It sure is sharp in silver w/ a black roof.

Ford Bronco Anyone look at the New Land Rover  Defender ???? lr-def-90-21my-090920-05-nd

Last edited:

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would think a large percent of people cross comparing the Defender with the Bronco plan to use the vehicle as a daily driver. As such, I think road noise is going to be a factor for some. Particularly those of us who regularly use bluetooth to do business while driving. I am somewhat concerned the Bronco top is not going to be as quite as the Jeep hardtop.

The Defender and Bronco do have a relatively close initial cost as long as you are comparing 4 Cyl. The second you add the V6 the Defender rapidly increases beyond the Bronco. Additionally, service, maintenance, and extended warranties are going to cost significantly more for the Defender. So much so that I lost interest in going that route and turned back to the diesel Gladiator.

Last edited:

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think the 4-door 110 model is pretty hideous but the 2-door 90 model (which hasn't yet released) looks very sharp and muscular. I am cross-shopping the two -- strongly leaning towards the Bronco. The hangup is how well the lower trim Defender 90s feel and how much under MSRP I'd be able to get one for. It appears the 4-door 110s go for a few grand under MSRP. The 2-door 90 will have a base MSRP of $46,000. I'd never consider a higher trim version, which are in the $60s, but a 90 with a couple options for high $40s warrants considering. It sure is sharp in silver w/ a black roof.

Ford Bronco Anyone look at the New Land Rover  Defender ???? lr-def-90-21my-090920-05-nd
Go Blue to you, too! If you are living in AA, your nearest LR dealer is a bit of a hike- Farmington, 21 miles away...Hopefully, they have loaner cars. (Mike Hart and MacDonald EXCELLENT hires, BTW.)