Sponsored

Anyone planning to install two way radio (either Ham, CB or other?)

Deputy909

Outer Banks
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2013 Traverse, 2007 Mustang Conv.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is anyone planning to install a two way radio, either Ham, CB or other? If so where are you thinking of mounting it? What is your plan for an antenna?
Sponsored

Cybindustries1904

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Raptor, Mach E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will be. Rugged radios to match the race car.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saw on one of the concept or test mules where they mounted a (presumably) Ham antenna on the front fender limb riser hook, seems like a viable spot. CB antennas are typically larger so I don't think that location would work. Aftermarket will probably come up with a mount on the spare tire or rear bumper like whats available for Jeeps.

There are so many different radio configurations, it's hard to say what works best.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd like to make use of the trail sights for antenna mounts. As for what I'm mounting, I'm definitely going to be mounting my Yaesu FTM-400DR. At this point, I'm thinking the base will probably go in the under floor storage at the back and I'll run the screen up to the front dash somewhere.

Then, I'm thinking about running an antenna lead into the truck where I can swap it between GMRS and CB. I don't care enough about either of those to hard mount a radio but I run into people who have one or the other often enough to want both options. I believe, as long as I can swap both radio and antenna, the lead wire doesn't matter. You can get both cb and gmrs antennas in nmo.

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, running the antenna lead(s) into the cabin is gonna be the biggest thing. I would think if/when they have the dash accessory rail available, that would be a great place to mount a remote head and even remote speaker (I run a Kenwood D710, have one band out of the base unit, the other out of the remote speaker to help figure who's talking)

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Midland MXT400.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking at this point, I'm going with both 75-822 CB and the MTX-275 GMRS that hides away in the center console when not in use.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd like to make use of the trail sights for antenna mounts. As for what I'm mounting, I'm definitely going to be mounting my Yaesu FTM-400DR. At this point, I'm thinking the base will probably go in the under floor storage at the back and I'll run the screen up to the front dash somewhere.

Then, I'm thinking about running an antenna lead into the truck where I can swap it between GMRS and CB. I don't care enough about either of those to hard mount a radio but I run into people who have one or the other often enough to want both options. I believe, as long as I can swap both radio and antenna, the lead wire doesn't matter. You can get both cb and gmrs antennas in nmo.
Just get a programmable tri-band radio and a broad band loaded antenna and you can have it all in one unit. I never use CB any longer, FRS,GMRS, 2mtr ham, or packet radio.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is anyone planning to install a two way radio, either Ham, CB or other? If so where are you thinking of mounting it? What is your plan for an antenna?
Going for a compact CB, most likely this self contained Cobra so I don't need to worry about mounting a head unit in a visible location.
Ford Bronco Anyone planning to install two way radio (either Ham, CB or other?) 1614272088844

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just get a programmable tri-band radio and a broad band loaded antenna and you can have it all in one unit. I never use CB any longer, FRS,GMRS, 2mtr ham, or packet radio.
I already own the HAM radio. And the price premium on tri-band radios is more than the cost of buying a couple cheap handhelds and running the antenna wire.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Going for a compact CB, most likely this self contained Cobra so I don't need to worry about mounting a head unit in a visible location.
Ford Bronco Anyone planning to install two way radio (either Ham, CB or other?) 1614272088844
I ran that unit on my Cannonball drive. It worked fine. We didn’t hear anything interesting but the unit itself was easy to install and worked as advertised.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was running CB back in the 60's, talking skip on a Cobra 14 ch and a 200 watt amp from my GTO, but CB is pretty much dead, even the truckers have moved on. Why try to use static prone short range AM or sideband when there is FRS & GMRS FM, or HAM if you have a ticket.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 Land Rover 90 p/u, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm using a hand-held GMRS these days. The dash mounting rail would be perfect.

ResidualGenius

Wildtrak
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Kenwood dual-band with remote head on rail (hopefully) and antenna on rack?? possibly on trail sight
Sponsored