Sponsored

Anyone planning to install two way radio (either Ham, CB or other?)

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Going for a compact CB, most likely this self contained Cobra so I don't need to worry about mounting a head unit in a visible location.
1614272088844.png
I used to run that unit too. I wouldn't pay to put CB into a vehicle now, it's just not used enough. GMRS/FRS handhelds would likely be more convenient and useful.
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is anyone planning to install a two way radio, either Ham, CB or other? If so where are you thinking of mounting it? What is your plan for an antenna?
I've been watching sand dune recovery videos and Australian of road videos and the front bumper seems the place to put the mast. For the head unit, probably use the BYOD mounting points rather than drilling a hole somewhere.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Reccomend a specific 3 band programmable radio?

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having argued with my admittedly entry level midland CB for years (properly grounded, fire stick, SWR, the whole nine yards) I tossed it all in the garbage. Picked up two Baofeng handheld radios. Problem solved.

Are there more powerful / sophisticated options? yes.

Hereā€™s the thing, Iā€™m NOT a tech guru... never will be. There is a special place in hell for the keyboard ninjas within CB radio / ham web nerd chat groups. Iā€™m not an engineer, I donā€™t care about getting a license. Eff all that. I know..... Iā€™m that guy that doesnā€™t read the manual.

Purchase. charge. Turn on. Communication achieved. Plus the handhelds are rad for spotting because theyā€™re not tethered to the truck.

I just donā€™t care enough to fuss with the more elaborate set ups. I just want something that works without the fuss. Boom done. No install, no SWR, no bullshit. They just work.

I say keep it simple.
Good luck!

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™ll help make my Yuengling Runs more successful

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I donā€™t care about getting a license.
As long as you're aware you're breaking FCC rules. There are fines and the like associated if you get caught. Way easier to spend a couple days studying and an afternoon passing the test.

Or better yet, throw out your baofengs and pick up a couple cheap GMRS radios. The license is $30 starting this year, requires no studying/test, covers your whole family and lasts 10 years. Easy, simple, and then you don't have to be "that guy."

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As long as you're aware you're breaking FCC rules. There are fines and the like associated if you get caught. Way easier to spend a couple days studying and an afternoon passing the test.
In this case Nope Iā€™m not. Iā€™m not using the restricted channels. CB channels work fine to communicate with my buddies that have CBā€™s. I tried to get everyone to switch to gmrs but could not get my crew on board.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
In this case Nope Iā€™m not. Iā€™m not using the restricted channels. CB channels work fine to communicate with my buddies that have CBā€™s. I tried to get everyone to switch to gmrs but could not get my crew on board.
Still likely flexing the rules, as even the handheld baofengs put out more than 4 watts of power. But better than using the HAM frequencies.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still likely flexing the rules, as even the handheld baofengs put out more than 4 watts of power. But better than using the HAM frequencies.
Well, it is what it is. As long as we stay on the CB frequencies I see no harm no foul. I donā€™t even know the wattage hopefully it wonā€™t cook my frontal cortex like an eggšŸ¤Ŗ

Iā€™d happily purchase a plug and play solution that was without reproach if I could get my crew to all agree to a direction.

Frankly what little I know of the regulations suggest that the tech supporting market development is years beyond matching with the wildly outdated govt regulations.

Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Motorola APX8500 tri band, Phase II TDMA P25, with 256 bit AES encryption...and probably a Yaesu Ft400 that I have laying around.

But I am not paying for it...

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™ll likely be going with a CB, something like Cobra 75 and 4' Firestik black antenna mounted on the rear bumper or tire carrier. Iā€˜ll grind off some of the powder coat on the place I mount it and ground inside somewhere on the tub/body. Iā€™ll mount the control box behind the glove box and have the connection of the CB to the control box on the lower part of the passenger footwell so you dont see it and its out of the way. Plus it makes the cord connection in the right place for mounting the hanheld on the center dash or near the grab handle. I already have an SWR meter so Iā€™ll get it tuned to about 1.5 on channels 1 and 40 and I should be good to go.

This is how I did on my Jeep and unless I see a better set up for the Bronco, Iā€™ll probably do the above.

A CB will likely be required for Bronco Off Roadeo rides (kinda like required for Jeep Jamborees).

Last edited:

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well, it is what it is. As long as we stay on the CB frequencies I see no harm no foul. I donā€™t even know the wattage hopefully it wonā€™t cook my frontal cortex like an eggšŸ¤Ŗ
Depending on the model, probably 6-10watts.

Iā€™d happily purchase a plug and play solution that was without reproach if I could get my crew to all agree to a direction.
I have the same problem. My friends and I have pushed to get our club to switch away from CB for a while. I kept a CB in my Xterra just for club runs. I'm tempted not to put one in the Bronco and just not talk to those who refuse to switch. I'll either get enough to switch that peer pressure will bring the rest, or I'll be the one asshole who refuses to use CB. šŸ˜‚

Frankly what little I know of the regulations suggest that the tech supporting market development is years beyond matching with the wildly outdated govt regulations.
Truth.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided