Sponsored

Anyone planning to install two way radio (either Ham, CB or other?)

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That handheld you have can be problematic if used improperly.

You are not using CB on that radio because its not possible.
CB radio is AM from 26.905 to 27.405 mhz

That radio you have is FM from 136-174 and 400-480mhz.
Thats actually a pretty wide range which has a ton of stuff in it, including stuff that a ham license doesn't even permit you to use. Nothing on that radio will restrict you from keying up on aircraft or public safety frequency where you can be hit with a $10k fine and jailtime for EACH TRANSMISSION. Yes, its enforced. Yes they can and will locate you

The radio you have does communicate with FRS and GMRS frequencies. However unless somebody programmed it specifically for doing so, its not setup correctly out of the box.

If you don't know and you've already expressed not being interested in learning, leave it in a drawer and go buy an actual FRS or GMRS radio since that's probably what your buddies are using anyways.

Technically speaking, even configured correctly that radio isn't legal to use on FRS or GMRS, but its minor transgression against what it could potentially do.
Hmm bummer. Ok, thanks for the information I appreciate your knowledge.
Life is pretty busy for me now, pandemic life is actually faster and more challenging to manage so time is limited.
Sounds like it’s time I revisit my efforts to swap my crew over to GMRS. If you have any recommendations for a good / better replacement please speak up. Handhelds preferred. Need to program is a no. I’m a plug and play guy.

thanks.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I hope to eventually add GMRS and Ham radio. But first I need to acquire the Bronco and prove to She Who Must Be Appeased that I’ll actually*use* it off road and on big road trips. - with other people in areas without cell service.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You guys on the left hand side of the map get to have all the fun. It’s getting almost impossible to escape cell service in the east nowadays.

Ford Bronco Anyone planning to install two way radio (either Ham, CB or other?) F8BB6826-BD00-4BA5-AF47-78D1B4B4BF3F

Ford Bronco Anyone planning to install two way radio (either Ham, CB or other?) AF886155-AE4A-4231-9DB5-834CB448FDC8

I understand the service gap in the Adirondacks, but why is there a massive hole between WVa and VA?

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You guys on the left hand side of the map get to have all the fun. It’s getting almost impossible to escape cell service in the east nowadays.
I'm on the right hand side of the map . . . but I bought a phone with an "Off" button. I also found that if I leave it at home it does NOT follow me and jump into my pocket. I know, right?

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hmm bummer. Ok, thanks for the information I appreciate your knowledge.
Life is pretty busy for me now, pandemic life is actually faster and more challenging to manage so time is limited.
Sounds like it’s time I revisit my efforts to swap my crew over to GMRS. If you have any recommendations for a good / better replacement please speak up. Handhelds preferred. Need to program is a no. I’m a plug and play guy.

thanks.
Check out BTECH. It's basically the American division of Baofeng. Midland is making GMRS radios now as well. If you're having trouble getting everyone to to get their GMRS license, go buy the 4 pack of FRS radios you can find at Walmart. Hand them out at the trailhead and voila, unified coms. FRS works fine for the short range stuff you're talking about and will talk to your GMRS handheld on the lower bands.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm on the right hand side of the map . . . but I bought a phone with an "Off" button. I also found that if I leave it at home it does NOT follow me and jump into my pocket. I know, right?
i try to pick my vacations for places that work cannot follow me. Back when I got married it was easy. But now .... now everywhere is within reach. That’s great - until it ain’t.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was about to pull the trigger yesterday and buy the Midland MXT400 MicroMobile even though I would like to have NOAA alerts but it doesn't have it. But then I noticed this...

Ford Bronco Anyone planning to install two way radio (either Ham, CB or other?) 1616328703874

Anyone have any insider info and know when this will be released from Midland?

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just read through this thread, I’m considering an Icom 5100, it’s an older unit but seems a pretty good unit. Anyone have opinions on other good mobile units in 2m and 70cm?

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just read through this thread, I’m considering an Icom 5100, it’s an older unit but seems a pretty good unit. Anyone have opinions on other good mobile units in 2m and 70cm?
I'm a fan of Yaesu. I 'get' their interfaces and they've proven to be easy to program and mod. I hear good things about Kenwood and Icom. Baofeng/BTECH/TYT are cheap brands. They'll do fine for basic comms but they aren't refined and particularly the Baofengs tend to suffer from frequency bleed over quite a bit.

I have yet to successfully program any of those three brands. They claim you can but the connection ALWAYS fails for me.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a fan of Yaesu. I 'get' their interfaces and they've proven to be easy to program and mod. I hear good things about Kenwood and Icom. Baofeng/BTECH/TYT are cheap brands. They'll do fine for basic comms but they aren't refined and particularly the Baofengs tend to suffer from frequency bleed over quite a bit.

I have yet to successfully program any of those three brands. They claim you can but the connection ALWAYS fails for me.
I have a Yaesu VX-8 and it's all I really know. May be better to to stick with them for similarity?

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

WeBoost and GMRS.
Also carry Zoleo and a sat phone.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have to. Cell service becomes non existent in the state forests, and there is so little traffic out this way that getting stuck could result in waiting for days for another passerby or abandoning the vehicle to trudge 30 miles through the woods full of bear, coyotes, bobcats, and the occasional cougar before you get to a main road
Sponsored