Sponsored

Anyone running ARB skids do oil change yet?

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Was loving the ARB skid set (esp for the price) until I went to change oil- had to pull 3 of 4 panels to get to the plug- did I miss something? @Ryan at ARB
Sponsored

ar1

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interested in hearing more as I'm shopping skids and considering ARB...

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Interested in hearing more as I'm shopping skids and considering ARB...
It's a great set otherwise, extremely well made with multiple layers and bracing and otherwise well-thought-out. If nothing else ill probably cut access and secure patch panel with flathead screws

Edited title to broaden search to non-diy'rs...dealer service, jiffy lube, etc would probably be crying about it too...

Anyone???

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been holding off on installing mine until I get the oil changed for this very reason...

I was hoping to get away with only removing 2 of the plates by loosening the third. Sounds like you didn't have such luck?

I need to learn more about the aftermarket drain plugs, but maybe there is a way to attach drain line off one (maybe UPR??) and run that to a more accessible location? I'll dig into that once I get my plates on.

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been holding off on installing mine until I get the oil changed for this very reason...

I was hoping to get away with only removing 2 of the plates by loosening the third. Sounds like you didn't have such luck?

I need to learn more about the aftermarket drain plugs, but maybe there is a way to attach drain line off one (maybe UPR??) and run that to a more accessible location? I'll dig into that once I get my plates on.
The plate behind the front skid is the one for access but it's mounted 'above' both plates to either end of it. Tried loosening either side but because of the way the access plate sort of hooks under one and is fully thru-bolted to the other, it doesn't really work.

I have the ronin plug, think it's very similar to UPR, with the ronin you have to thread-in a piece that actuates a valve in the plug, to open the drain. In other words, no you can't feasibly route a hose and bolt all the plates up, you still have to be able to get to the connection at the pan to start the oil flow

Sponsored

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you want to live dangerously you could do a Robin with the plastic screwed into it along with a hose attached (clamped) and a good drain valve that could be opened and closed at end of hose which is secured on top of skid with enough hose length to slide it below the skid when doing oil change. (And leaving skids all bolted up)

Would I do it; no, but feasibly it could be designed/possibly worked out.

JayP

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Big Bend Sasquatch Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Any update to this thread? Installing my ARB skids today. Would love to hear input of how everyone is doing their oil changes.

Mikerider

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Ranger, Mustang, Focus, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just bought a set yesterday, waiting for them to ship. The description on their website says "provision is provided to drain engine oil only with removable insert in the second panel." Is this not true? Or have they updated the design since this thread was created?

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a full ARB skid plate set and I use a Vacuum extractor to change the oil. Best $100 tool, just pull the dip stick, let it run, change filter and re fill. Just did my 4th change. I did swap out the plastic plug for a UPR drain plug that's supposed to seal better but it is dripping so need to find a better solution for a permanent drain plug.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N7X4TP9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That does seem handy. Curious how much you get out with that tool. 2.7l? ~7qts? The ronin plug ends up leaving a tiny bit- I jack mine up to minimize.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just bought a set yesterday, waiting for them to ship. The description on their website says "provision is provided to drain engine oil only with removable insert in the second panel." Is this not true? Or have they updated the design since this thread was created?
No idea.

If they did update and added an insert please take a pic and share! That's what I'm going to have to retro I think with cutoff wheel, some flat bar, flat head screws and a little welding 🙄

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No idea.

If they did update and added an insert please take a pic and share! That's what I'm going to have to retro I think with cutoff wheel, some flat bar, flat head screws and a little welding 🙄
Yeah I might have to put my sheetmetal skills to work and make an access panel with a riveted doubler and nutplates. (Example from a project in A&P school)

PXL_20231210_213904536.jpg

PXL_20231210_213854199.jpg

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah I might have to put my sheetmetal skills to work and make an access panel with a riveted doubler and nutplates. (Example from a project in A&P school)

Ford Bronco Anyone running ARB skids do oil change yet? PXL_20231210_213854199

Ford Bronco Anyone running ARB skids do oil change yet? PXL_20231210_213854199
That's aluminum tho(?) Can such rivets be done in steel?

I'd be wary of simple pop rivets for such a use (ie shearing off and access plate getting wadded up into plastic oil pan) but those look stout...just don't recognize process/tooling

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's aluminum tho(?) Can such rivets be done in steel?

I'd be wary of simple pop rivets for such a use (ie shearing off and access plate getting wadded up into plastic oil pan) but those look stout...just don't recognize process/tooling
Yeah they're real bucked rivets. You're right about aluminum vs steel, though. Not sure if it's feasible yet; I'll have to check it out when mine arrive.

Sean6365

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor, 08 Dodge Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

PXL_20231210_213904536.jpg

PXL_20231210_213854199.jpg
My AP project was a wing spar, did it back in 99.
Sponsored