Sponsored

Anyone taught their wife to drive a Manual Trans?

Oilman

Outer Banks
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 outer bank 4door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
good luck with that! ………..just buy the automatic.
Sponsored

JTom

Big Bend
First Name
Jana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend Area 51!!
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I taught my husband, does that count?

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife's first car was a manual 5sp. My now 18yo daughter(then 15yo) learned to drive my 66' bronco 3 on the tree and her daily driver is a 6sp jeep jk. My son did the same when he was 12yo, 3 on the tree. Everyone can learn how if they want to unless they have physical limitations.

BUDXR7

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (hopefully)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Everyone can learn how if they want to unless they have physical limitations.
This is the key. The person has to want it. I’ve tried to reach my wife on three different sticks. She doesn’t want to do it so her brain refuses to absorb the lesson. My brain is doing the same thing as far as wanting her to do it so I keep punishing us both…. When the bronco arrives it will be mine and mine only. I don’t drink much anymore so I’m fine with that.

FWIW though, and nobody ever taught me (I just use to take my brothers old CJ7 when he wasn’t around and taught myself when I was 16) I always thought a good way to learn a clutch was to go to an empty parking lot. Put it in 1st (crawl on the bronco would be even better) and slowly let out the clutch with no gas. You can do this in any vehicle without stalling as long as you’re on a flat surface. I thought if you repeated this a hundred times the rest would come easier.

Apple Blossom

Outer Banks
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I want to buy the manual transmission Badlands. But, my biggest concern with this being my daily driver, is there will always be a few times a month where my wife needs to drive my car (and me drive hers, for seating for our 4 kids).

Facts about my wife:
  • We are late 30's, and she's never driven a stick
  • She doesn't like trying new things
  • She doesn't like the idea of a stick shift
  • She would be mortified if she stalled the truck in the middle of an intersection - even if just for a few seconds
I'm assuming these newer manual transmissions are very very forgiving - compared to the 1990 Honda Accord I drove 25 years ago...?

I haven't owned a stick since I got married (17 years), but want to badly. Can I teach her? Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
If you do decide to try, find a large EMPTY parking lot somewhere and go to it.
I taught my 19yo daughter to drive one many years ago in a small cheap car. I think I still have whip lash...... She is a mechanical engineer now and she really wanted to learn. She later had a 350Z.

Sponsored

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the auto restart and the hill assist, the Bronco really simplifies the driving of a manual. That said, if she is absolutely not interested, it isn't going to happen. She will be frustrated at not being able to make it all work immediately and will be cussing your name with every breath. The most important ingredient is perseverance, and she's not going to have it.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's like teaching your wife to shoot. Outsource! Outsource! Outsource!
Sponsored