Sponsored

Anyone taught their wife to drive a Manual Trans?

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it blows me away to hear that someone over the age of 15 can't drive a stick shift
Sponsored

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My lady can drive a stick no problem. Likely a bit rusty but nothing a few giggles wouldn’t shake off.

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I want to buy the manual transmission Badlands. But, my biggest concern with this being my daily driver, is there will always be a few times a month where my wife needs to drive my car (and me drive hers, for seating for our 4 kids).

Facts about my wife:
  • We are late 30's, and she's never driven a stick
  • She doesn't like trying new things
  • She doesn't like the idea of a stick shift
  • She would be mortified if she stalled the truck in the middle of an intersection - even if just for a few seconds
I'm assuming these newer manual transmissions are very very forgiving - compared to the 1990 Honda Accord I drove 25 years ago...?

I haven't owned a stick since I got married (17 years), but want to badly. Can I teach her? Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
Incentivize her to learn by offering to learn about something she’s interested in, wants you to learn, and/or knows you have no interest in learning. If she is willing to learn, maybe have someone else teach her so it doesn’t take a toll on your relationship. If she ends up hating it, you won’t take it personally and can just buy the auto. Good excuse to own the bigger engine at that point. Maybe somehow convey that not buying the manual will cost X amount of dollars more for the auto (+2.7L).

Datoad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep LJ Rubicon, 17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want to buy the manual transmission Badlands. But, my biggest concern with this being my daily driver, is there will always be a few times a month where my wife needs to drive my car (and me drive hers, for seating for our 4 kids).

Facts about my wife:
  • She would be mortified if she stalled the truck in the middle of an intersection - even if just for a few seconds
I'm assuming these newer manual transmissions are very very forgiving - compared to the 1990 Honda Accord I drove 25 years ago...?

I haven't owned a stick since I got married (17 years), but want to badly. Can I teach her? Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
My wife’s first car was a 62 Corvair 4 speed and when we got married she had 69 roadrunner 4 speed and we have had probably a dozen sticks since then.
i think she’ll do fine.

ac360

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't understand, when I met my future wife, she was driving a stick shift Toyota corolla, IN downtown San Francisco! She had me from the start.
Driving a stick in S.F. is quite an accomplishment. The hills there would kill all clutches and brakes in no time.

Having said that, I'd drove a stick there for 20+ years. Really fun trying parallel park on a steep hill with 6" clearance on either ends. When I'd met my wife overseas, she didn't know automatics existed.

Sponsored

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh ho ho! this is thread i can contribute to! I "borrowed" a 2017 civic si from work and made my wife learn in it, drove it for hours. She fell in love with it and i told her after a couple months you won't even look to see what gear you're in any more, and after a year you won't even notice you're driving stick. It's been 3 years and she never once regretted it. As she likes to put it "I like being in control of my shifts." Sadly we traded that in last month for a 2020 Hyundai Tucson, our first baby is due in October.

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm offering lessons on the stick
Ford Bronco Anyone taught their wife to drive a Manual Trans? 1601112439533

Can you make her sound any more boring?

Seriously, she doesn't sound like she is a good candidate to learn anything new. If you get a manual transmission, you will be the only driver. The good news is you will be able to teach your hopefully not boring kids to drive a stick, when the time comes.
Ford Bronco Anyone taught their wife to drive a Manual Trans? 1601112635028

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope but my wife taught me to drive a manual when I was 22. Since then I've owned 7 different manual vehicles (BMW 328, BMW M3, BMW 645, BMW 545, Shelby GT500, Porsche 911, 350ZX). Rent a cheap manual car, learn in a parking lot, move on. It isn't that hard. The factor for a manual should be (especially for a newer driver) how much daily traffic are you sitting in because that will make a manual annoying.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wonder if back in the day, before the automatic transmission was invented, if some women (or men for that matter) just simply did not have enough coordination to operate a manual transmission, no matter how hard they tried, and thus did not drive

...my wife would fall into that camp

Sponsored

jimmyt75

Badlands
First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Facts about my wife:

I tought my fiance she hated it at first and would have a panic attack if she stalled ? but she stuck with it and got better now she drives manual all the time, its all about patience and letting them kind of figure it out and just give them some hints and tips

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Driving a stick in S.F. is quite an accomplishment. The hills there would kill all clutches and brakes in no time.

Having said that, I'd drove a stick there for 20+ years. Really fun trying parallel park on a steep hill with 6" clearance on either ends. When I'd met my wife overseas, she didn't know automatics existed.
First time I drove there was in a 4-speed at night and it was raining. I had to parallel park on a hill, but me and a couple of friends were going to a show at Bimbo's "by any means necessary" haha.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm offering lessons on the stick
Shoot ive been teaching girls how to handle the stick for years lol,what a nightmare my gf stalled as we all do while learning at an intersection like it was the end of the world.
The problem was she couldnt understand that the clutch disengauges the drive line it was alien to an auto driver,she could probably get us home if a bear bit my foot off while hiking but it wouldnt be pretty.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My wife has no interest and hasn't had an interest in learning for the 30 years that we've known each other. I've had all kinds of manual vehicles, some being super easy to learn on, and she just doesn't want to try. Go figure. In my younger years, I taught several gals to drive a manual and they were successful and learned pretty quick.

My son learned when he spent a summer helping my step-father start the construction of a house. Learned on a 1 ton dually flatbed. 4-speed with granny low and a 390 under the hood.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
No, I failed in that endeavor.. But that was with a torqueless Honda engine; modern turbo engines are quite forgiving about giving them too little gas at launch. This will be ESPECIALLY true with the 'crawl gear 1st' in the Bronco; I bet it will launch on flat ground without requiring any gas pedal at all.

But my sister taught her husband to drive stick; he got the hang of it immediately. And he doesn't even own a car (he's one of those urban 'bike everywhere' Millenials).
I learned in an old square body F-250 Diesel. That torque sure made it easy. I would expect the torquey 2.3 Ecoboost to be somewhat kind as well like you mentioned.
Sponsored