Sponsored

Anyone taught their wife to drive a Manual Trans?

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I taught my wife on my 02 Mustang GT before we were married. She bought her first car and insisted it had a manual even though she wasn't good at it yet based on my test drive.

Now she doesn't want an auto in the bronco unless there are serious reasons why. If we got with a stick, all five cars we own will be manuals.
Sponsored

OvrLnd99

Wildtrak
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2022 BMW Z4 M40i
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I tried to teach my wife several times - 1998 Honda Accord, 2001 Saturn, 2012 Wrangler. The effort was successful enough in that she didn't crash while we were in the teaching session. I think she completely forgot everything the second she got out of the vehicle. I agree with the comments made that it makes a big difference if she wants to learn, and I highly agree with the comments about having someone else teach her. My wife and I have been married 19 years, and I have given up on this. Also, she wouldn't be happy at all if I got a manual and tried to teach her again. So...happy wife, happy life.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I must have a cool wife because she prefers a manual and drives one.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I must have a cool wife because she prefers a manual and drives one.
Mine as well. And I taught my twin daughters (insisted, really) to drive 3-pedal. They both prefer manual as well.

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get someone else to teach her. Otherwise it might end up like asking your wife to help you back in a trailer.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want to buy the manual transmission Badlands. But, my biggest concern with this being my daily driver, is there will always be a few times a month where my wife needs to drive my car (and me drive hers, for seating for our 4 kids).

Facts about my wife:
  • We are late 30's, and she's never driven a stick
  • She doesn't like trying new things
  • She doesn't like the idea of a stick shift
  • She would be mortified if she stalled the truck in the middle of an intersection - even if just for a few seconds
I'm assuming these newer manual transmissions are very very forgiving - compared to the 1990 Honda Accord I drove 25 years ago...?

I haven't owned a stick since I got married (17 years), but want to badly. Can I teach her? Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
Yes, I did when we were 16 (my '67 Bronco), we've now been married 34 years. Just suck it up and get the auto, it's not worth it.........TRUST me.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t read the full thread.. but any people on here (women, men, etc) who have taught their husbands to drive stick?

My wife daily‘s a manual... that is when she‘s not commuting on her motorcycle...

Last edited:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I want to buy the manual transmission Badlands. But, my biggest concern with this being my daily driver, is there will always be a few times a month where my wife needs to drive my car (and me drive hers, for seating for our 4 kids).

Facts about my wife:
  • She would be mortified if she stalled the truck in the middle of an intersection - even if just for a few seconds
I'm assuming these newer manual transmissions are very very forgiving - compared to the 1990 Honda Accord I drove 25 years ago...?

I haven't owned a stick since I got married (17 years), but want to badly. Can I teach her? Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
Google "forcing function".

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I haven’t read the full thread.. but any people on here (women, men, whatever) who have taught their husbands to drive stick?

My wife daily‘s a manual... that is when she‘s not commuting on her motorcycle...
Back when we were dating, out on a day tour on my Seca 650. On a back country road, with no warning nor provocation, I pulled over, put her in the pilot's seat. She spent the next 4 hours riding us around with a huge grin on her face. Probably one of my best moves ever. Lol.

Dubsilk

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M240 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i have always dated women who can drive a manual. it was almost like a requirement.

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Facts about my wife:

I tried teaching my Ex. Bought a BMW 3 series manual, specifically with the intention of her learning to drive it. I tried for months, first on the BMW (which is not a cheap clutch) and it was a rough go. Tried on 2 other vehicles, including an F150 which had the easiest clutch ever. No dice. Gave up. She kept saying, well once I'm in 2nd it's fine! Right, but you keep stalling it in 1st, so you're basically going to die.

I ended up being the only driver until we sold it. I think results may vary, but if you didn't learn early on I think it ends up being muscle memory to drive auto. I also drove dirt bikes and other toys growing up, so that helps.

EDIT: Her dad also tried teaching her.

EDIT2: That is not why we broke up. That was an argument over Wendy's chicken nuggets vs McDonalds.

Last edited:

Psybako

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion, Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've taught several people how to drive a stick. In my opinion, the best approach is to get them to completely ignore the gas pedal and shifter while learning.

Stage one is framing expectations and show and tell in an empty parking lot. Tell them what to expect and show them the worst case scenario. Show them a stall, show them a dumped clutch burnout, show them they can let the clutch do the work without any gas at all.

Stage two, switch seats and have them clutch in, then clutch out as slowly and smoothly as humanly possible until their foot leaves the pedal and just focus on learning the feeling of the clutch engaging. Clutch in, repeat, and repeat, and repeat.

When they have that nailed down, add in the gas pedal. Have them hold revs between 1000-1500 with the clutch in, and then do the clutch thing again without changing anything on the right foot.

Most folks can pick this up well enough to get around town in less than 15 minutes.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I haven’t read the full thread.. but any people on here (women, men, etc) who have taught their husbands to drive stick?

Yeah my wife would probably say this thread title is a bit sexist, lol. Least ways, my wife didn't need me to teach her driving manual. And she insisted on a manual when we bought a new car last year. She will probably want manual for the Bronco as well. I'm open to either, but my autos keep cr*pping out at higher milages, so I'm leaning manual.
Sponsored