Sponsored

Anyone taught their wife to drive a Manual Trans?

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I want to buy the manual transmission Badlands. But, my biggest concern with this being my daily driver, is there will always be a few times a month where my wife needs to drive my car (and me drive hers, for seating for our 4 kids).

Facts about my wife:
  • We are late 30's, and she's never driven a stick
  • She doesn't like trying new things
  • She doesn't like the idea of a stick shift
  • She would be mortified if she stalled the truck in the middle of an intersection - even if just for a few seconds
I'm assuming these newer manual transmissions are very very forgiving - compared to the 1990 Honda Accord I drove 25 years ago...?

I haven't owned a stick since I got married (17 years), but want to badly. Can I teach her? Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
I grew up with all brothers so I learned early on to drive a stick with that said, your wife cares for four kids, in her 30's and not open to new things...you're going to have to get the automatic. She has her hands full and I'm sure she a great mom. She'll love you for it.
Sponsored

GYMEBronco22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just finished teaching my 16 year old to drive stick - took a few hours of up and down the box gear changing in a parking lot and then some road use to get it all down smoothly, but worth it as he will spend a lot of time outside the US in the future.
This was in an RS that isn't the easiest of manuals to drive.

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This has to be in the top 10 of how marriages end right along with remodeling a kitchen.
My plan is to get a base, manual 2-door with nothing on it and then accessorize over time. This plan will allow us to redo the kitchen. Win/Win.

CascadianCorvid

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife was driving a manual GTI like a maniac when I met her. She drives a manual like most men wish they could. I've learned a few things from her, because my experience was from the military driving big trucks. It's a whole other world with quick little cars.

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That girl already knows

Sponsored

Badsquatch2021

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tbd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had this argument already, not at all worth it. She's tried in the past on a turbo diesel f250 and killed it numerous times. I didn't know you could do that, even a clutch dump would get that thing going. I can't stand jerky stick drivers and would be pissed listening the the clutch being burned up, not to mention the maintenance of replacing it. Needless to say I'm getting the auto.

ausherpharmd

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I taught mine. It was nerve-wracking but picked it up pretty fast. Stalled a lot at first and was very embarrassed. But other than that, no issues. Also, no stopping in inclines for about 3 months. And now doesn't want an automatic again.

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I taught my girlfriend, and she picked it up quick. Then I married her, and she told me she hated it.

Fast forward 15 years ... I'm getting the 10 speed auto.

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tried too. Let’s just say things did not go well and we only drive automatics ?

Sponsored

BDB21

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 F-250 Tremor / '71 Bronco / '20 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it's easier the earlier you learn. My wife's first car and many after that were a stick. Honestly, I think she drives stick better than I do because she's daily driven them for years. All of mine were secondary vehicles for fun.

A past GF taught me in the best way... On a long trip home she pulled over and said she was too tired to drive. Got out, switched seats with me and fell right to sleep. So I had to figure it out on my own but will say I got back on the freeway and drove an hour to her house without stalling once. haha

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I guess I'm a lucky one. As I said the wife hates a manual, but my Bronco is basically going to be my "Old Man" play toy. There's other vehicles in the garage, plus her's, that are all auto's she can drive. So, I can get a manual in my Bronco. :)

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I taught my then girlfriend, now wife, to drive stick long ago, but she wanted to learn. That seems to be the barrier in your situation. If you can increase her interest, the possibility of success will improve.
Tried to teach my wife now i have a girlfriend lol , some people get it and some dont i think the problem is in the realization y hat the clutch disengagues the engine from driveline.
Anyway its easier to pull teeth from an alligator.

dcdtn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Escape, 18 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you try it, I hope you have better luck than me. I thought my wife was going to slap me when I suggested a manual. Just look at it as a very cheap Autopilot option for those long trips where you want to take a break and let her drive. At least that’s what I tell myself.
Sponsored