Sponsored

Anyone taught their wife to drive a Manual Trans?

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife knows how to drive a standard.... but she doesn’t WANT to!! Lol

At least I ordered the dual zone A/C :)
Sponsored

RotorOver

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2021 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Taught my wife to drive a manual on a 1984 Saab 900 Turbo when we first got married almost 31 years ago. I don't remember the car being particularly forgiving. The challenging thing was we lived in an apartment complex at the top of a giant hill, so she needed to be able to negotiate that terrain to get in and out. She got it down with practice and we are still together, so it worked out! Not gonna say it went swimmingly!

Funny thing is she hadn't driven a stick in probably 20 years and hooped in my son's new manual Veloster N last year and drove it like a pro. Pissed my son off because it had been a few years for him not driving a manual and he was stalling it all over the place!

mac62989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma Sport Access Cab, 2001 Trans AM WS6
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not married but I tried to teach an old GF once on her brothers old beater Subaru. She got discouraged and the experiment didn't last long. Would not let my current GF or anyone for that matter try to learn on my Trans Am or Tacoma now. Not burning out my clutch!

soupcook

Outer Banks
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I want to buy the manual transmission Badlands. But, my biggest concern with this being my daily driver, is there will always be a few times a month where my wife needs to drive my car (and me drive hers, for seating for our 4 kids).

Facts about my wife:
  • We are late 30's, and she's never driven a stick
  • She doesn't like trying new things
  • She doesn't like the idea of a stick shift
  • She would be mortified if she stalled the truck in the middle of an intersection - even if just for a few seconds
I'm assuming these newer manual transmissions are very very forgiving - compared to the 1990 Honda Accord I drove 25 years ago...?

I haven't owned a stick since I got married (17 years), but want to badly. Can I teach her? Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
My wife and I have been married 45 years. Order the automatic because if she resents the manual shift, she won't be so supportive of any upgrades you want. Plus, you will always be the driver. (My wife could drive a manual at 12 yo.)

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yep. In an ‘88 Mazda 626. She loved it; and for the record, she drives ‘em better than me now.

Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yep. Back in high school 1989 taught her to drive my '83 Camaro. That car was so much harder to drive stick than any other I had after that. She didn't like driving it then and still does not not want to drive one.

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My “friend” doesn’t know how but seems willing to learn. I’ll teach her on my current car before I get the Bronco, she’s worried about killing the car, hah.

Ohnoohnoooo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, no, but I have taught a few boyfriends. You think it is hard for a man to teach a wife, IMAGINE the ego landmines of a woman teaching a man such a manly thing. LOL. Fortunately my ex-hubs came with a manual jeep so we were saved that exercise. He proved himself not worthy in other cringey ways, though.

I learned on a persnickety F150 4-on-the-floor (which was more like a 3-speed because 1st was only usable when stopped). And 4WD meant getting out and locking the hubs.

I now drive a manual Z3 — then men in my family hate it because apparently she’s fickle and kills easy, but after 19 years I know her well.

Fun fact for someone hesitant to learn, if you ever travel internationally, your only option may be manual. I’ve not tackled the UK backwards manual though,not sure my brain can do that flip.

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I want to buy the manual transmission Badlands. But, my biggest concern with this being my daily driver, is there will always be a few times a month where my wife needs to drive my car (and me drive hers, for seating for our 4 kids).

Facts about my wife:
  • She would be mortified if she stalled the truck in the middle of an intersection - even if just for a few seconds
I'm assuming these newer manual transmissions are very very forgiving - compared to the 1990 Honda Accord I drove 25 years ago...?

I haven't owned a stick since I got married (17 years), but want to badly. Can I teach her? Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
We were getting stationed overseas, and I bought a car with a manual transmission which of course my wife couldn't drive. For her, it was sink or swim because I cycled to work, and she had to attend school PTA meetings, grocery shop, etc... Regarding teaching a spouse, I'd suggest it absolutely can be done, but I'm not that patient of a guy, so it really depends on whether or not you can patiently teach this skill to someone. Later, I did teach both daughters to drive a stick and did so in a much calmer manner.

Grays.guns

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 F250 King Ranch, 09 Cayman, 28 MDL A, 90 Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m not allowed to teach my wife anything. Tried to help her learn to ride a motorcycle, ended up having my neighbor do it. She‘s a sweetheart, but stubborn as hell.

Sponsored

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

use plenty of lube. -couldn't resist.

Seriously, teach her on something tiny like a Civic, or a CRF 80.

If she doesn't want to learn and you do want her to drive it, don't get a manual.

My wife knew when I met her. And when she picks me up in a noisy diesel, rowing her own gears, I do love it. And she has to choose to drive that instead of one of our other vehicles that practically drive themself. So I appreciate it.

But I have a couple of kids that are asking what will be the test for them to drive the Bronco (BL manual). I hadn't thought about that and I am kind of bummed just considering either of these rugrats even breathing in my rig. I'm starting to now wish I ordered a two-door.

I know, I know...just say no. ugh.

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not only did I try (and fail) to teach my wife how to drive a manual, she even has a problem figuring gears on a bicycle. Going up a hill on her bike she will leave it in the highest gear and really start to struggle...and STILL not down shift. It’s the craziest thing I’ve ever seen with an otherwise brilliant person.

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base

Facts about my wife:

OMG don't you dare teach her if you want to remain married! Have a friend of yours teach her. I learned when I was a teenager and in Europe if you every want to drive a stick (most cars there are) you have to take your driving test in one. Now that was not fun back in the late 80's. Are there driving instructors that teach stick, hmmmmmm...

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Taught their wife? Taught my son. I Taught myself driving alone, thank you very much.

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No sorry, she knew how to run a stick the day she climbed into my F250 over 40 years ago.
Sponsored