Sponsored

Anyone taught their wife to drive a Manual Trans?

Skmarshall

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 F150, '16 Escape, '19 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Would it be easier to learn how to drive a manual using low range? I've only ever drive 2wd manuals.
Sponsored

Tammeriffic

Badlands
First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it is sweet you are thinking of your wife's feelings in this. However, it makes me realize I never gave my husband a say so, it was manual or nothing. He's not a fan but knows how to drive one. My 2 cents would be: try and talk her into it. The manual Widtrak I drove was very easy. It has a short stick like a car would have and very smooth shifting.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm reading the manuals have a "failsafe" system that keeps the brake on while you are taking off from a hill. Hill Start Assist will help too. Let her learn by taking off in either the crawler, or 4Low. After 1st gear, it's just about knowing when to shift and remembering the order to do things in - gas off, clutch in, shifter change...

Last edited:

lasttj

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep TJ, '16 Ford F150, '65 VW Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Best thing about driving a stick these days is you can't hold a cell phone in your right hand while you're driving.

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm another one in the "failed" column. I gave up and bought an automatic Wrangler. But that's hers and we have other automatics she can use as backup, so the Bronco is a stick. I'm one of those manual or die types. The 7-speed is awesome.

Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One interesting thing I can tell you about the manual bronco that I found out by accident (had it in 3rd instead of 1st, whoops) yesterday is it apparently automatically restarts the engine if you do stall it once you put the clutch in.

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ttttttt. Yes.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want to buy the manual transmission Badlands. But, my biggest concern with this being my daily driver, is there will always be a few times a month where my wife needs to drive my car (and me drive hers, for seating for our 4 kids).

Facts about my wife:
  • We are late 30's, and she's never driven a stick
  • She doesn't like trying new things
  • She doesn't like the idea of a stick shift
  • She would be mortified if she stalled the truck in the middle of an intersection - even if just for a few seconds
I'm assuming these newer manual transmissions are very very forgiving - compared to the 1990 Honda Accord I drove 25 years ago...?

I haven't owned a stick since I got married (17 years), but want to badly. Can I teach her? Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
Teaching is easy. But honestly the way you descrribe it - take the auto. You love your wife and you’ll be together for 50+ years hopefully. You’ll get tired of the Bronco in 3 -5 years and sell it. Been there done that. Get the auto and demand a kiss on the cheek for it.

Sponsored

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If anyone wants to learn to drive a stick I’m in Los Angeles and it will cost $100 and I’m very good at teaching manual.
I once taught a 17 yr old girl in one hr how to drive a stick so I could sell the dad on the car.
NBD.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Car & Driver just published a pretty good article on "Learn to drive a manual with this one easy trick". I had stumbled on this method with our 4th child after having a difficult time with the first three. :) I think you can learn to drive a stick on just about any reasonably powered vehicle. Harder on something underpowered or overpowered. Bronco with the turbo I4 and low rpm torque aught to be just about ideal. Have fun and happy family driving!
That article was useless.

And I quote. "Just pay attention. And the only way you're going to screw it up is by moving that without first pushing that."

:rolleyes:

Tammeriffic

Badlands
First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
WT is 2.7 standard. 2.7 doesn't come in stick
oops, guess it was another model. I can assure you it had a clutch and a stick in it. Maybe a Black Diamond. He said it was similar to the Badlands because he added the upgraded 4x4 with locking rear differential and it had the vinyl with rubber floors and drain plug.

PatsBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco 16 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I taught my fiancee how to drive stick. Luckily i had a 2000 BMW Z3 which was essentially a go-kart. Learning in a Bronco might be intimidating but like @borgnineamc said: It all boils down to if she wants to learn.

There's no vehicle she'll be comfortable in if this is something she doesn't want. Especially if she's going to be loading the kids in there and not feeling comfortable about it. Best advice we can probably give you is to just go with the 2.7 Auto. I've driven stick my whole driving life lol i had that Z3, a Porsche 944, a Mustang, and now i drive a Porsche Boxster.

I love the feeling and i love my stick :sneaky: but i'm giving it up for the auto in the Bronco. It's going to be a more comfortable ride and in the future we'll be having kids as well, don't want me or her to have to worry about shifting gears in traffic while the kids are being dicks in the back. Just my 2 cents though.
I taught my wife on my Z3 too. She did pretty well but was not on board for a stick in the Bronco.

alexryer

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond 4-Dr Soft Manual
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can I teach her? Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
I taught my 17 year old daughter to drive my manual Black Diamond. Her motivation is being able to drive a convertible this summer. My motivation is quality time with my daughter teaching her to shift. Well worth the effort.

The bronco is easy to learn to shift. It has hill start assist (temporary parking brake) and it even turns off the regular parking brake if you leave it on. There is enough low end torque in first gear to get moving without any gas - good way to practice clutch engagement / control on flat ground.

The clutch pedal travel is pretty long, so make sure your wife adjusts the seat. Also explain that the clutch pedal is not a foot rest... Fold back the top and let the sun shine in - that'll make the learning curve much more palatable.

So yes, you should get the manual, and teach your wife on a nice sunny day. She'll do fine.
Sponsored