First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
These look fine but I bought Stainless Steel ones instead, I was worried the clear zinc would rust. The stainless steel will avoid corrosion much better.

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
These look fine but I bought Stainless Steel ones instead, I was worried the clear zinc would rust. The stainless steel will avoid corrosion much better.
Who is making these in stainless steel?

Sponsored

sea382

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Stainless will seize, use lots of anti seize. You have been warned.
The difference here between a stainless steel fastener and a stainless steel tie rod sleeve to me is how much its being tightened. A faster is usually torqued to a specified amount, which can cause galling of the threads. Here the sleeve is being used as a nut. If you ask any good alignment tech they will tell you not to overtighten the tie rod nut. There is no need, especially since even if the nut come loose the tie rod end cannot rotate. The inner tie rod would have to rotate in it's ball joint to have the tie rod actually come loose and fail.

OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will be painting anything that is installed under the bronco.

OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep that does change that the inside of the JKS sleeves look like they are raw mild steel?
I'm also building a powder coat oven, so that would be my plan #2

sea382

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm also building a powder coat oven, so that would be my plan #2
Yeah that was my point originally though with paint or powder coat there is likely not any on the threads. Any paint or coating on the threads would be too thick allowing them to not thread on so they are likely raw. Eventually raw threads will lead to rusting to the tie rod. I honestly think the stainless doesn't look too bad.
Ford Bronco Anyone tested these Tie Rod Sleeves? TIE ROD SLEEVES

Sponsored
OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah that was my point originally though with paint or powder coat there is likely not any on the threads. Any paint or coating on the threads would be too thick allowing them to not thread on so they are likely raw. Eventually raw threads will lead to rusting to the tie rod. I honestly think the stainless doesn't look too bad.
Ford Bronco Anyone tested these Tie Rod Sleeves? TIE ROD SLEEVES
Only $25 more? I might just get those.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stainless will seize, use lots of anti seize. You have been warned.
The difference here between a stainless steel fastener and a stainless steel tie rod sleeve to me is how much its being tightened. A faster is usually torqued to a specified amount, which can cause galling of the threads. Here the sleeve is being used as a nut. If you ask any good alignment tech they will tell you not to overtighten the tie rod nut. There is no need, especially since even if the nut come loose the tie rod end cannot rotate. The inner tie rod would have to rotate in it's ball joint to have the tie rod actually come loose and fail.
In my experience, galling isn't necessarily a result of overtightening, but can happen in normal torque ranges. That bing said, your chances of galling are less since it isn't stainless against stainless.

The one thing I would worry about (and look into) is whether the tie rod is galvanized. If so, nickel and satinless can react with each other and cause galvanic corrosion where they touch (threads in this case). Galvanic corrosion is more likely when eloctrolyte is present, and it will be on suspension components.

This is a picture of stainless fasteners used on galvanized plates.

Ford Bronco Anyone tested these Tie Rod Sleeves? Galvanic-Corrosion_hi-res

Personally, I went with galvanized/nickel sleeves as I like the natural corrosion protection provided by nickel (when not in contact with stainless).

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m running jks sleeves went wheeling all last weekend and didn’t have a issue had to lock the front several times. I’m on 35s though and a gentle right foot. More time will tell, I just got them for more of a piece of mind.