Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban LT (Camper), 2017 Hyundai Elantra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve always been told not to buy the first year, or last year, or any production vehicle. “Got to let them work out the bugs”. I know that this is an old saying and most new cars are fairly good to go off the line first year. But why not give it a year or two to let them sort out any other issues?

There has been talk of the raptor/warthog models coming out in the coming years, which obviously were not available for preorder. So waiting might be abetter option for those of us who don’t want to buy one now only to trade it in for the next better one down the line.

For those of us who aren’t made of money and are looking to finance, having a few extra months/years to save up helps. Add to it that x-plan is a set price based on invoice, so price won’t change between reservation order and a dealer order a couple years later. (Aside from the Granger $2k below offering).

Barring a “first edition“ trim order, I ask you this: Is it even worth it to get the first year model?

Or am I being really silly in thinking this way?
Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hell, I'll say it before anyone beats me to it.

All of you should definitely wait... Spread the word, tell everyone you see.

One way or another I'll get to the front of the line.

Edit: But to answer your question, there will be bugs.. Pretty much every car out there has some sort of issue, some smaller than others, some are major. But for me, I'm done with waiting, I'll take my chances.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

3 of my last 4 cars (excluding current) have been first model year... and generally niche, or limited production cars. I didn't hold any of them for very high miles. None of them proved any more problematic than any other vehicle. One of them had a fuel pump issue somewhere around 55k miles, but there's every likelihood that I was simply duped by the service tech. Probably was just some sensor. I wasn't very smart at the time... or more accurately, I was too busy and flush with cash to care about it. It was a while ago.

I should also note that all three were manufactured in Japan, which may be a factor.

I'm not terribly concerned about it, but sure there is some increased risk. But I don't have enough concern to give my spot to @EvlNvrDys :)

I'll tell you, though, the internal battle over waiting 6 extra months for mansquatch is what's killing me.

Civkik

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '18 Wrangler Rubicon, '18 R1M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess I'm just gonna have a little faith in Ford and the years it has taken them to get the Bronco completed. It has been a long wait with lots of R&D and I think we will reap the benefits of that.

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm still on the fence about possibly getting a Badlands, possibly quicker, or waiting a bit for the Base mansquatch. I hope in a couple weeks B&P will push me to enlightenment.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a first year FJ and I have not had any problems with it.

That being said, I am on the fence, currently sitting on a day two reservation locally and got a new reservation in Granger's Oct surprise offer.......not sure 100% which direction I will go.

I really want this Bronco and think it will be awesome, at the same time, a little bit of wait ( with the October reservation) and I may get a color or option I really want.....

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I work with a couple dealerships via 3rd party and see many new models fairly quickly. All of the options I'm ordering will be with trade in, dealer preference in mind for potentially moving to a 2022, 2023 model should any deal breakers arise.

Right now everything hinges on B&P.... Will the factory suspension lift set me back the same as the sasquatch???
If I order a Badlands, is the sasquatch only 35s and the same factory lift?? Or is it bringing anything special to the table?

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have my hopes up due to the places they're using for testing. Most cars go over some gravel or a series of speed bumps and get the thumbs up as long as they don't blow up. Ford has taken these to the Rubicon, Moab, and Johnson Valley.

Like a great captain once said, "if anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there."

Ford Bronco Anyone thinking of waiting? giphy (51)

Orbiter

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a first year FJ and I have not had any problems with it.

That being said, I am on the fence, currently sitting on a day two reservation locally and got a new reservation in Granger's Oct surprise offer.......not sure 100% which direction I will go.

I really want this Bronco and think it will be awesome, at the same time, a little bit of wait ( with the October reservation) and I may get a color or option I really want.....
Same boat here.

Sponsored

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've almost exclusively (my current RAM only one I can think of that wasn't) done first year of new models for my past 10 or so purchases. Only one that had any extra issues was my 3rd Gen Tacoma of all things. In that list are vehicles from VW, Volvo, Jeep, and Nissan that are generally seen as less reliable (along with a couple Hondas and Mazdas that were never a concern).

So I wouldn't be too worried about being on the first year - they do come with warranties... Only issue is the fleecing you go through to pay more when the brand new model is in demand. But buying new cars is not about 'saving money...'

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't wait any longer. My 2013 Chevy Cruze has had better days. Chevy can't fix the issues that people have had since the first model year.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm old. I may not have more than a couple of decades and a couple hundred thousand miles left. I just got cheated out of one summer due to this damn pandemic and that has prompted me even more to make the most of the ones I have left.

This is going to be my "forever Bronco" (though hopefully not my "forever payment" - damn those DIOs!) and I'm hoping to get it as soon as possible.

Your perspective changes as you get older and you realize just how fast life passes. Twenty years ago feels like yesterday. Ten years gone in the blink of an eye. Sometimes you have to grab it by...the reins.

Dzrt1st

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch, Toyota Tundra, RX7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t mind being a guinea pig with the first year. It does come with a warranty so no worries.
Sponsored