Sponsored

Anyone tried a Cherry Bomb (Glasspack) on a Bonco?

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know a lot of older muscle cars use them and we put one on my son's Silverado, just wondering if anyone's tried to put one on a Bronco. Didn't see any posts on it here on the forum...wondering how it would sound. Not looking for super loud, just something a little deeper.

Ford Bronco Anyone tried a Cherry Bomb (Glasspack) on a Bonco? Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 8.38.10 PM
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I joke that my Bronco sounds like a sewing machine
I fear this would make it sound like a sewing machine powered by a chainsaw engine.

CPL_Rabbit

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Minivan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I plan to play The Runaways as soon as I can.

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the flowmaster straight pipe maybe a small cherry bomb would add deepness?

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some people go straight pipe. The Flowmaster FX is just like a cherry bomb with an input hole cut into the middle and the exits from both sides.

Sponsored
OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yea see I'm the same, just want deep, dont care about loud. Hell they're not expensive at all, might just throw one on for shits and giggles to see what it sounds like.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm thinking more along the lines of a Thrush Turbo muffler. Not as straight through as a regular glass pack, but will be louder than stock. They are normally pretty small to fit the space better.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Consider that a 2.x Liter can only get so deep , plus the trip through the turbo mutes it a ton ... the straight pipes sound just about the same as the aftermarket exhausts.

About the only 4banger that sounds decent to me is the older WRX exhaust. Those were 2.5L 4cyl turbo motors.

Dig deep in the history here and there is a video of a straight piped Bronco somewhere. It was MUCH quieter than I expected.

Eeh, it's a 4banger and I see you're a Wildtrak .... anyways, here it is.
Sounds a lot like an old tractor.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-3l-muffler-delete-added-sound-clip.23583/

Almost like the resonator sound better ... 4cyl again.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/cheap-muffler-delete-2-3.52388/

Last edited:

SCB FabWorx

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cadillac CTS V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm thinking more along the lines of a Thrush Turbo muffler. Not as straight through as a regular glass pack, but will be louder than stock. They are normally pretty small to fit the space better.
Very interesting I'm attempting this very thing. I have all the parts just need to find the time to weld them together and hang it under the back.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, that feel it but don't hear it (so much), love that rumble. I had a 98 Chevy Silverado I put FlowMaster long pipes on and it was great. That was a 350 V8, though, I don't know my 2.3L would have the same effect.

Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Very interesting I'm attempting this very thing. I have all the parts just need to find the time to weld them together and hang it under the back.
I decided I liked the idea of a muffler in the middle rather than under the back end. Saw a post where a guy did a FlowMonster like that. Ordered the parts and then came to the realization that my 2 door has about 16" less length making it pretty difficult. That plus the added cost of dealing with a tail pipe extension to delete the factory muffler made me decide to jump on July 4th sale and threw on a Borla Touring system. Definitely no regrets. It's not loud at all which I like.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah, that feel it but don't hear it (so much), love that rumble. I had a 98 Chevy Silverado I put FlowMaster long pipes on and it was great. That was a 350 V8, though, I don't know my 2.3L would have the same effect.
Yea we put a 16” Cherry Bomb on my sons 2011 Silverado. Even with a small 4.8 it sounds bad azz. Not so sure how that 2.7 would sound.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As somebody who's built a few cars and put bellflowers, cutouts, straight pipes and glass packs on various builds over the years, I would make the following suggestions for doing glass packs on a modern forced induction vehicle:

• You'll want at least a 12" glass chamber, typically that would mean advertised as an 18" pack as it includes the 3" flanges on each end. In general, the shorter the chamber, the shittier it will sound
  • Placing the glass pack as far forward as possible will help with adding rasp to the sound and a deeper sound
  • Placing the glass pack towards the rear will generally be louder in pitch and have less rasp
  • On turbocharged cars, you'll wear the glass down faster due to temps and unburnt fuel. Expect more rasp as it deteriorates internally. Keeping them cooler (rearward) will help
  • IMHO, Cherry Bomb is the Rust Country of glass pack brands, avoid if at all possible.
  • Personal brand preference on a modern car is Mellow Tone. But they went out of business a few decades ago. Based on most posts on B6G, I'm assuming folks won't have access to anything Amazon hasn't carried in the last 6 months.
  • Second best brand is Brockman and they will make you whatever you need custom (no, it won't get delivered in 48 hours). https://brockmanscustomparts.com/

There's some other suggestions if you're doing a proper dual-pipe exhaust, but nobody with a Bronco will have that going on.

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We have the flowmaster outlaw which is basically the same as a straight pipe. I added a 12" resonator on the section where the pipe turns up toward the back for the muffler hanger, it's just enough room. The resonator has helped quite a bit but she's still loud. It's definitely more rumbly than my i6 BMW but on cold starts inside the house they sound pretty similar, I can just tell the BMW is smoother sounding on initial rev.
Sponsored