Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've searched a bit on here and I may just be missing the posts, but I was wondering if anyone on here has used a RTT on an OEM Roof Rack. If so how sturdy did it feel and how heavy of an RTT did you use?

I'm getting an RTT second hand that is about 7 lbs over the 110lb limit that Ford lists and was hoping others out there had ran something similar with no issues. My initial thought is that Ford most likely leaves a decent buffer with their ratings, but I also don't want to push it.
Sponsored

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've searched a bit on here and I may just be missing the posts, but I was wondering if anyone on here has used a RTT on an OEM Roof Rack. If so how sturdy did it feel and how heavy of an RTT did you use?

I'm getting an RTT second hand that is about 7 lbs over the 110lb limit that Ford lists and was hoping others out there had ran something similar with no issues. My initial thought is that Ford most likely leaves a decent buffer with their ratings, but I also don't want to push it.

Hello! While we maybe bias, we have had tons of hours with the OEM roof rack. Ford did a good job making it fit the Bronco well. We have had a 80-90lb tent up there and we will say the wind noise is extreme because you are creating a tunnel that howls above the driver. If you are getting more of the fold out tents that are shaped like a box, mount it to the rear of the rack to avoid that loud wind noise. If it is the clam shell type, you will get that wind tunnel. As far as stability, it was fine, never felt bad in a way. We used a lot of the attributes this Roof Rack had from Ford and applied the good to ours as well as minimize that wind noise.

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve been using the OEM rack for my 87lb RTT. It works fine but I will likely add another crossbar at some point because I do think it would make it feel sturdier when inside the tent. I don’t really notice that I have the tent up there when driving and haven’t noticed a dramatic increase in wind noise. That being said I’m not going over the weight recommendations with the dynamic load weight as my tent falls just under the limit, so can’t exactly speak to that

OP
OP

Pl8to

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello! While we maybe bias, we have had tons of hours with the OEM roof rack. Ford did a good job making it fit the Bronco well. We have had a 80-90lb tent up there and we will say the wind noise is extreme because you are creating a tunnel that howls above the driver. If you are getting more of the fold out tents that are shaped like a box, mount it to the rear of the rack to avoid that loud wind noise. If it is the clam shell type, you will get that wind tunnel. As far as stability, it was fine, never felt bad in a way. We used a lot of the attributes this Roof Rack had from Ford and applied the good to ours as well as minimize that wind noise.
Thanks for the advice! And don't worry, I've been looking at the TrailRax as a possible buy. If the OEM one doesn't seem up to par or if I want to add any other accessories I'll definitely be upgrading.

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the advice! And don't worry, I've been looking at the TrailRax as a possible buy. If the OEM one doesn't seem up to par or if I want to add any other accessories I'll definitely be upgrading.
Awesome! We do offer our roof racks as an upgradable platform so you can start off with just the rack which is not too far off of the OEM cost + the shipping to get it to your dealer. Then later add pak rax if you would like! let us know if you have any questions.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pl8to

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve been using the OEM rack for my 87lb RTT. It works fine but I will likely add another crossbar at some point because I do think it would make it feel sturdier when inside the tent. I don’t really notice that I have the tent up there when driving and haven’t noticed a dramatic increase in wind noise. That being said I’m not going over the weight recommendations with the dynamic load weight as my tent falls just under the limit, so can’t exactly speak to that
Thanks, that's good to hear. I was also thinking about grabbing a third bar.

jb_dot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've put my RTT on the OEM rack, and it was ok - though I only felt comfortable putting one person up there. I've now ordered a TrailRax (with PakRax) so we can both go up there.

Hokie640

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just installed a v1 superlite on the OEM rack for a 2 door today. It does not feel safe. I followed the GFC recommendations regarding distance of mounting points to CL and rear of tent. As it sits, I can push up on the front of the tent and flex the OEM rack to create a 1 inch deflection in the front of the tent. There's no way I'm going 70+ mph on the highway with this setup.

A third crossbar up front might be the solution here but also looking at a rack that has more crossbars as well (ie TrailRax). It's just hard to swallow that upfront cost. I liked the OEM rack because it was easy to take on and off, as my bronco will not fit in the garage with a rack installed.

RicochetJP

Everglades
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Badlands and Fusion Sport (all 2.7s)
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Yes, I use the 87 pound Inspired Overland RTT and it works great. I added the JCR reinforcement bracket and 3rd cross bar for good measure.

ElDuderino

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, I use the 87 pound Inspired Overland RTT and it works great. I added the JCR reinforcement bracket and 3rd cross bar for good measure.
Got any pics? Thoughts on the tent? I've been on the hunt for a GFC Superlite, but I'm starting to look at alternate options.
Sponsored