Sponsored

Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design? Think they will bring it back?

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really wish Ford had kept the traditional tailgate. Surely, I am not alone in this. It seems to be a better, stronger, more functional design. They could opt the spare tire on the underside or on an additional swing arm mount like the attached pics. Thoughts?

Ford Bronco Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design?  Think they will bring it back? David-Brooks-1978-Ford-Bronco-Tailgate
Ford Bronco Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design?  Think they will bring it back? 1980-ford-bronco-129-1594323592
Ford Bronco Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design?  Think they will bring it back? 78-ford-bronco-dv-19-ca-03-800
Ford Bronco Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design?  Think they will bring it back? 1980-ford-bronco-129-1594323592
Ford Bronco Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design?  Think they will bring it back? 78-ford-bronco-dv-19-ca-03-800
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think most of us do and wonder what's so hard about that old design, best of all worlds? Of course, they promised us a slide out tailgate which is vaporware....

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I'm being 100% honest. The new tailgate is really my only dislike. I know it offers easier access to the rear compartment of the 2door, and there's slide outs on the 4door, but if it had the tail gate from the start, it would solve a lot of issues for me.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. Never in a million.

With the side swing it allows you deeper access to the cargo area, ability to open just a little way for small objects, as well as a single unit to open and close granting easier access...

If it was the old way'd you'd have to swing a tire alllllll the way out first *and then* drop the tail gate allllll the way down... just so I could throw something relatively small in, and making it nearly impossible to reach objects against the rear seat.

I'm really thankful Ford did it this way and didn't listen to all you old farts hanging on to bad ideas just because "nostalgia."

;)

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nope. Never in a million.

With the side swing it allows you deeper access to the cargo area, ability to open just a little way for small objects, as well as a single unit to open and close granting easier access...

If it was the old way'd you'd have to swing a tire alllllll the way out first *and then* drop the tail gate allllll the way down... just so I could throw something relatively small in, and making it nearly impossible to reach objects against the rear seat.

I'm really thankful Ford did it this way and didn't listen to all you old farts hanging on to bad ideas just because "nostalgia."

;)
While I think you make great points, and from a user ability standpoint the new tailgate is better. From a visual, the "new" tailgate looks too jeep'ish. It's the only part of the vehicle that looks distinctly jeep'y and is probably the reason why people not in the know call the new Bronco a jeep clone.

The old way is iconic and if I had to choose I woulda gone with it, lack of easy access n all lol
(Millenial talking here, not an old fart 😉)

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The current rear tailgate was made with “ loading groceries “ in mind. Bending over a conventional pick up truck tailgate is not conducive to everyday SUV usage. Just be glad they didn’t incorporate the upward lifting automatic rear gate found in most SUVs today. I would also want the original tailgate but selling the most Broncos is the bottom line.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The current rear tailgate was made with “ loading groceries “ in mind.
Then the obx, base, and wildtrak should have the new one. Let the more utility-focused badlands and black diamond trims have the traditional lol

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Then the obx, base, and wildtrak should have the new one. Let the more utility-focused badlands and black diamond trims have the traditional lol
Totally agree.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think most of us do and wonder what's so hard about that old design, best of all worlds? Of course, they promised us a slide out tailgate which is vaporware....
Oh yeah... I forgot about that thing.

You guys remember the donut doors? Those were awesome.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait is the slide out tailgate nixed? I thought it was just delayed until the end of time?
I'm not really sure what happened to it. It first went to late availability, then to 22, then we all got distracted and forgot about it so who knows?
Sponsored