Sponsored

Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design? Think they will bring it back?

MISSJD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Cabrio
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm not really sure what happened to it. It first went to late availability, then to 22, then we all got distracted and forgot about it so who knows?
Fair enough! My dream lives on then! 😂😂
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are pros and cons for both, and neither option would impact my decision to buy. I do think I'd have a slight preference for a fold down gate, it gives more flexibility to haul larger objects and a place to sit. It's looking like sitting waiting for a tow truck is going to be a common thing for MY21.

Zack's issue with quick access for small objects could have been solved with side windows that open.

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The current design I think is better, then you don't have to reach over that pickup truck style tailgate to put anything in. However, I do recall when I was a child my dad had a Dodge station wagon where I believe the tailgate had the ability to open either way. Now that would be an option.

kurkowski41

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Bronco 4BT, 1996 F350 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nope. Never in a million.

With the side swing it allows you deeper access to the cargo area, ability to open just a little way for small objects, as well as a single unit to open and close granting easier access...

If it was the old way'd you'd have to swing a tire alllllll the way out first *and then* drop the tail gate allllll the way down... just so I could throw something relatively small in, and making it nearly impossible to reach objects against the rear seat.

I'm really thankful Ford did it this way and didn't listen to all you old farts hanging on to bad ideas just because "nostalgia."

;)
I agree with you as far as needing to get the gate AND the glass open. But on my 79 if I need to throw something small in I just roll down the window and I don't touch the spare or tailgate. I like the new style in theory, but I wish you didn't have to open the swing gate to get the glass open.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The current design I think is better, then you don't have to reach over that pickup truck style tailgate to put anything in. However, I do recall when I was a child my dad had a Dodge station wagon where I believe the tailgate had the ability to open either way. Now that would be an option.
Uh, Honda does that!

Sponsored

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm not really sure what happened to it. It first went to late availability, then to 22, then we all got distracted and forgot about it so who knows?
I have not forgotten. Please @Ford Motor Company, give the peoplethe slide out tailgate!

Ford Bronco Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design?  Think they will bring it back? 48AFBD2C-921E-4F70-8A2D-8BAB87EDA5B5

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

While I think you make great points, and from a user ability standpoint the new tailgate is better. From a visual, the "new" tailgate looks too jeep'ish. It's the only part of the vehicle that looks distinctly jeep'y and is probably the reason why people not in the know call the new Bronco a jeep clone.

The old way is iconic and if I had to choose I woulda gone with it, lack of easy access n all lol
(Millenial talking here, not an old fart 😉)
Don’t let Jeep define everything for you! Who cares whether people think the Bronco is a ‘jeep clone’. People are very wrong, all the time. 😂

PapaWE

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Chevy K2500, 07 HD Nightrain
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope. Never in a million.

With the side swing it allows you deeper access to the cargo area, ability to open just a little way for small objects, as well as a single unit to open and close granting easier access...

If it was the old way'd you'd have to swing a tire alllllll the way out first *and then* drop the tail gate allllll the way down... just so I could throw something relatively small in, and making it nearly impossible to reach objects against the rear seat.

I'm really thankful Ford did it this way and didn't listen to all you old farts hanging on to bad ideas just because "nostalgia."

;)

You seem to be forgetting that there is lift glass back there. Pull the tire just out of the way and glass up for small items. Or the back or side seat if its something that small to just get it home. Also if we had fold down there would be somewhere to sit or have sandwiches without having to buy 2 more accessories for the back. Also, to go one step further, guys and gals that add bigger heavier off road tires usually add a heavy duty tire carrier that attaches like the "old" style. This isn't just "nostalgia" from a bunch of old farts this is good utilitarian thinking from people that use their vehicle as a tool and not just a grocery getter.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had a 1990 4-Runner with that design, rear window stopped going up and down. Cost $900+ to make the window to go up and down again. This was in the late 1990's money.
I'll pass.

Sponsored

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not forgotten. Please @Ford Motor Company, give the peoplethe slide out tailgate!

Ford Bronco Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design?  Think they will bring it back? 48AFBD2C-921E-4F70-8A2D-8BAB87EDA5B5
I just want those donut doors. I understand they failed crash testing, but offer them as an accessory and slap a big OFF ROAD USE ONLY warning on them. Boom. Problem solved.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wish the tailgate had dual openings like a old country squire wagon.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait when did it move to '22? I thought it was available as an accessory some time in Q4 and a factory option in MY22?

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just want those donut doors. I understand they failed crash testing, but offer them as an accessory and slap a big OFF ROAD USE ONLY warning on them. Boom. Problem solved.
They probably figured people weren't willing to pay $4000 or whatever for off-road only doors

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not really - I think that slide-out tailgate unicorn accessory was the best of both worlds, however, we know how that’s pretty much ended up (I bet the aftermarket makes something though - At least the ideas out there now).

I do wish the rear window could simply be rolled down, that would have been a sweet feature.
Sponsored