Sponsored

Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design? Think they will bring it back?

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have had both and for me the MY21 is more practical. With a separate swing away tire carrier and tailgate, simply accessing the rear becomes a multi-step process where now it is one handle and one motion. That tire carrier flapping around back there is another thing that wasn't always perfect.
Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I really wish Ford had kept the traditional tailgate. Surely, I am not alone in this. It seems to be a better, stronger, more functional design. They could opt the spare tire on the underside or on an additional swing arm mount like the attached pics. Thoughts?

David-Brooks-1978-Ford-Bronco-Tailgate.jpg
1980-ford-bronco-129-1594323592.jpg
78-ford-bronco-dv-19-ca-03-800.jpg
1980-ford-bronco-129-1594323592.jpg
78-ford-bronco-dv-19-ca-03-800.jpg
underside mounting would probably affect the departure angle, and the swing out arm would probably rattle a bit considering it is anchored to sheet metal and the bushings would be prone to wear. then there is the secondary complication of another step being needed to access the cargo area. swing the tire, lower the tailgate, then open the rear glass... turned a 2 step process in to a three step process with more moving parts to be more points of failure.

Last edited:

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To answer the why the old-timey tailgate isn’t offered, my thoughts:

1. weight - Ford is chasing every gram (ounce) on this vehicle in order to meet EPA requirements and with GVR concerns. the old tailgate/spare assembly would be much heavier.
2. cost - for obvious reasons.

I believe the GVR matter would be why the slide-out tailgate is not available from the factory at this time.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Bronco6G has taught me anything it’s thank god none of you designed this vehicle. If so it would be a fold down tailgate with a permanent full aluminum hard top, doors would stay on, have 36 cup holders, get 4.5 MPG with a V8, have zero technology and include only an FM/AM dial radio with no screen and come standard with chrome everything.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wouldn't mind having the tailgate but it is not a big deal for me one way or the other. And there is no way it will ever happen.

Sponsored

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not so much a fan of the swing out tire on my 96 and it's slightly annoying that I absolutely MUST roll down the window to open the tailgate... but those are pretty minor inconveniences. I love having the roll down rear window and the tailgate is pretty handy for all sorts of reasons. 10/10 would rather have that on my new bronco.

Edit: upon further consideration, maybe Ford did what they did on the new one for simplicity/reliability. I could see that as a plus, at least for long term owners. My '96 tail gate torsion bars gave in, the rear window motor died, the defroster wiring gave out from all the window motion. A lot fewer things to break on all the back end moving bits on the new one... assuming the rear door hinges don't wear poorly due to the tire weight.

Last edited:

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm actually getting pretty tired of this argument.

This is a forum. Forums used to be in person. Imagine someone asking a question one day/week, and then someone asking the same question at the next forum. You know what they'd say? "Go look at the meeting notes from ____. It's been addressed. Next topic."

This isn't Facebook. It isn't social media. A forum is like a library. It's a resource for information. Imagine going to a library without the Dewey Decimal System? No index, nothing. Books are just everywhere. The same book can be in three places. You know how annoying that is?

Almost as annoying as having a question on a Bronco forum, using the search function, and having to check multiple threads for an answer.

Get it?
This guy gets forum etiquette đź‘Ś

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Bronco6G has taught me anything it’s thank god none of you designed this vehicle. If so it would be a fold down tailgate with a permanent full aluminum hard top, doors would stay on, have 36 cup holders, get 4.5 MPG with a V8, have zero technology and include only an FM/AM dial radio with no screen and come standard with chrome everything.
giphy.gif

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Don't forget. LOTS of cupholders!

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
underside mounting would probably affect the departure angle, and the swing out arm would probably rattle a bit considering it is anchored to sheet metal and the bushings would be prone to wear. then there is the secondary complication of another step being needed to access the cargo area. swing the tire, lower the tailgate, then open the rear glass... turned a 2 step process in to a there step process with more moving parts to be more points of failure.
It is already a two step process. You have to open the swingout door with the tire on it to open the back glass (hardtop)

So if you want to just set your groceries in the back it is the same exact process but instead of opening the bottom door you swing out the tire.

Never heard of anybody having problems with the bushings or rattle on the stock BII tire carriers, mine swings on tapered roller bearings.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It is already a two step process. You have to open the swingout door with the tire on it to open the back glass (hardtop)

So if you want to just set your groceries in the back it is the same exact process but instead of opening the bottom door you swing out the tire.

Never heard of anybody having problems with the bushings or rattle on the stock BII tire carriers, mine swings on tapered roller bearings.
my bad the word there was actually supposed to be three...

so you think a three step process is better than a two... ok. i am sure you can fabricate a separate swing out arm and a set of hinges for the tailgate to open like a truck bed. everyone likes custom touches..

personally i think jeep nailed it when they thought of mounting the spare on the tailgate and using a vertical pivot hinge on the tailgate..

nothing a little paint and some time in the local fabrication shop won't fix...

Last edited:

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was a cool design but far too heavy and prone to rusting, I’ll pass!