Sponsored

Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design? Think they will bring it back?

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
my bad the word there was actually supposed to be three...

so you think a three step process is better than a two... ok. i am sure you can fabricate a separate swing out arm and a set of hinges for the tailgate to open like a truck bed. everyone likes custom touches..

personally i think jeep nailed it when they thought of mounting the spare on the tailgate and using a vertical pivot hinge on the tailgate..

nothing a little paint and some time in the local fabrication shop won't fix...
I literally have that very setup on my Ranger. I built the rear bumper and tire carrier myself.

Ford Bronco Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design?  Think they will bring it back? 50370103867_eb01072bd2_c

I do not open the tailgate often. To set a bag of dog food or groceries in the back the tailgate is a non issue. I just swing the spare out of the way, open the rear glass and set it over the tailgate. Two steps. To get loaded coolers in and out and whatever yes you have to open the gate. To access drinks or snacks in a cooler you do not. Plus I also have the gate to do food prep on or other tasks without disturbing what is in the back.

If it bothered me too much three lug nuts would get the spare off the swingout, one bolt would get the swingout off the bumper and I could just throw the spare in the back of the truck. I designed it to be easy to remove because I can't install my slide in camper with it installed (it will fit with the camper but it would wipe out the camper jack if it was open as I backed under the camper)

And yet it doesn't bother me enough to remove it when I am not on trips and don't technically need it.

So day to day for me I would call it a wash... except when I open the back of my Ranger to get my groceries the jar of spaghetti sauce doesn't come rolling out.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nope. Never in a million.

With the side swing it allows you deeper access to the cargo area, ability to open just a little way for small objects, as well as a single unit to open and close granting easier access...

If it was the old way'd you'd have to swing a tire alllllll the way out first *and then* drop the tail gate allllll the way down... just so I could throw something relatively small in, and making it nearly impossible to reach objects against the rear seat.

I'm really thankful Ford did it this way and didn't listen to all you old farts hanging on to bad ideas just because "nostalgia."

;)
We had one of these and yes you either had to open spare wheel carrier then drop the tailgate, or you could.roll the window down. And if you kept the window up while dropping the tailgate it was even more in your way, so you.pretty much always had to roll.down the window. The drop gate was great but the window part sucked.

So I am convinced that a split tailgate is the best of both worlds. Keep the same flip-up top as it has now but exchange the swinging gate for a drop down. Yes you need to open the spare tire carrier but that's a motion you need to do anyways if you want to open the back. Then flip up the window and there's your quick access. Or drop the tailgate for full access. Yes it's an extra motion on top of the two we already have, no I don't think it's a big deal.

Edit: I should've read the whole thread before posting. @85_Ranger4x4 gets it. His setup is pretty much bang-on what I'm talking about, except it's the hardtop with the flip-up window not the canopy.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I literally have that very setup on my Ranger. I built the rear bumper and tire carrier myself.

Ford Bronco Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design?  Think they will bring it back? 50370103867_eb01072bd2_c

I do not open the tailgate often. To set a bag of dog food or groceries in the back the tailgate is a non issue. I just swing the spare out of the way, open the rear glass and set it over the tailgate. Two steps. To get loaded coolers in and out and whatever yes you have to open the gate. To access drinks or snacks in a cooler you do not. Plus I also have the gate to do food prep on without disturbing what is in the back.

If it bothered me too much three lug nuts would get the spare off the swingout, one bolt would get the swingout off the bumper and I could just throw the spare in the back of the truck. I designed it to be easy to remove because I can't install my slide in camper with it installed (it will fit with the camper but it would wipe out the camper jack if it was open as I backed under the camper)

And yet it doesn't bother me enough to remove it when I am not on trips and don't technically need it.

So day to day for me I would call it a wash... except when I open the back of my Ranger to get my groceries the jar of spaghetti sauce doesn't come rolling out.
make your car yours. i think i mentioned it in one of my reply. but because you did it does not mean i would do it. you obviously have different priorities for your use of a pickup.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Only thing in this arena I wish it had was roll up rear glass. That would be really neat.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just wish the spare wasn't in the center like a Jeep. Wish it was offset to the passenger side like the 67' broncos and up.

Sponsored

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

With the side swing it allows you deeper access to the cargo area, ability to open just a little way for small objects, as well as a single unit to open and close granting easier access...

If it was the old way'd you'd have to swing a tire alllllll the way out first *and then* drop the tail gate allllll the way down... just so I could throw something relatively small in, and making it nearly impossible to reach objects against the rear seat.

I'm really thankful Ford did it this way and didn't listen to all you old farts hanging on to bad ideas just because "nostalgia."

;)
Zack is being a killjoy. What we really want is a Magic Doorgate from a 1967 Country Squire wagon. Maybe it could be offered for a 2022 Bronco as a 55th anniversary feature. Now just figure out what to do with that pesky full size spare tire.

Also, maybe bring back those side scoops on the rear of the wagon to keep that rear window glass clean (they never worked btw).

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

;)
On the flip side a drop down old style gate allows for more sleeping room and star gazing :cool:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look,

For everyone who is saying a swing-out-tire-fold-down-tailgate is the better or preferred design for the 6g… I would agree with you, but then we’d both be wrong.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look,

For everyone who is saying a swing-out-tire-fold-down-tailgate is the better or preferred design for the 6g… I would agree with you, but then we’d both be wrong.
Apparently my attempt at sarcasm was a bit too subtle. But that Magic Doorgate fascinated a 10 year old boy back in 1970.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Swing out spare is a PITA...

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just wish the spare wasn't in the center like a Jeep. Wish it was offset to the passenger side like the 67' broncos and up.
I offset mine, mine sits a little higher in the back window than a Bronco but offset really helps the rearward visibility. Less leverage on the hinges too.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Problem here is you loose the option for on vehicle door storage.
I don't think so. Maybe with the hard top that's true. Or soft top up. Adds 4"if I remember right.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I offset mine, mine sits a little higher in the back window than a Bronco but offset really helps the rearward visibility. Less leverage on the hinges too.
You offset it on a Jeep or a Bronco?

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, I think it could have been cool.

No, I don’t think Ford will ever change that build / feature set at this point.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Only thing in this arena I wish it had was roll up rear glass. That would be really neat.
How would that work with the soft top?
Sponsored