Sponsored

Anyone wish Ford kept a traditional tailgate design? Think they will bring it back?

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I literally have that very setup on my Ranger. I built the rear bumper and tire carrier myself.

50370103867_eb01072bd2_c.jpg

I do not open the tailgate often. To set a bag of dog food or groceries in the back the tailgate is a non issue. I just swing the spare out of the way, open the rear glass and set it over the tailgate. Two steps. To get loaded coolers in and out and whatever yes you have to open the gate. To access drinks or snacks in a cooler you do not. Plus I also have the gate to do food prep on or other tasks without disturbing what is in the back.

If it bothered me too much three lug nuts would get the spare off the swingout, one bolt would get the swingout off the bumper and I could just throw the spare in the back of the truck. I designed it to be easy to remove because I can't install my slide in camper with it installed (it will fit with the camper but it would wipe out the camper jack if it was open as I backed under the camper)

And yet it doesn't bother me enough to remove it when I am not on trips and don't technically need it.

So day to day for me I would call it a wash... except when I open the back of my Ranger to get my groceries the jar of spaghetti sauce doesn't come rolling out.
You offset it on a Jeep or a Bronco?
Above pictured Ranger. I set as far right as I could without blocking the right hand tail lamp viability to reduce stress on the bumper and carrier while off road.
Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nope. Never in a million.

With the side swing it allows you deeper access to the cargo area, ability to open just a little way for small objects, as well as a single unit to open and close granting easier access...

If it was the old way'd you'd have to swing a tire alllllll the way out first *and then* drop the tail gate allllll the way down... just so I could throw something relatively small in, and making it nearly impossible to reach objects against the rear seat.

I'm really thankful Ford did it this way and didn't listen to all you old farts hanging on to bad ideas just because "nostalgia."

;)
This. swing the tire AND drop the tailgate, or just swing open the tire back door.

it saves a step and simplifies the design, imo.

dragon6172

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't mind the swing gate. I do think I'll miss the roll down glass. Used to always drive with it down on the '93 I had. Also will miss the small vent window on the doors.

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It looks good in those picture but no thanks. I don't want to have to open the tire carrier, then the tailgate, then not be able to reach the back of the cargo area without climbing in.

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Must not have many hunters, fishermen, campers, farmers, ranchers etc, on this board. A drop down tailgate is far superior for us folks that spend a bunch of time outdoors.

The whole back half of the bronco is poorly designed: no drop down tailgate, lack of removeable rear seat, carpet on seat backs, ledge and lack of fold flat floor. I guess they ran out of design money as none of this is especially extravagant.

Hoping for a complete re-do at the first model redesign.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really wish Ford had kept the traditional tailgate. Surely, I am not alone in this. It seems to be a better, stronger, more functional design. They could opt the spare tire on the underside or on an additional swing arm mount like the attached pics. Thoughts?

David-Brooks-1978-Ford-Bronco-Tailgate.jpg
1980-ford-bronco-129-1594323592.jpg
78-ford-bronco-dv-19-ca-03-800.jpg
1980-ford-bronco-129-1594323592.jpg
78-ford-bronco-dv-19-ca-03-800.jpg
The fold down tailgate on my CJs got in the way loading and unloading items more than it helped with anything.

Maybe folding tailgate would be more useful on a 4-door Bronco, for hauling lumber or longer items when you want the tailgate open. Although you'd have to do something about the spare tire in that case.

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm actually getting pretty tired of this argument.

This is a forum. Forums used to be in person. Imagine someone asking a question one day/week, and then someone asking the same question at the next forum. You know what they'd say? "Go look at the meeting notes from ____. It's been addressed. Next topic."

This isn't Facebook. It isn't social media. A forum is like a library. It's a resource for information. Imagine going to a library without the Dewey Decimal System? No index, nothing. Books are just everywhere. The same book can be in three places. You know how annoying that is?

Almost as annoying as having a question on a Bronco forum, using the search function, and having to check multiple threads for an answer.

Get it?
If the search functions were better maybe, but they’re not great. But in general, hope that made you feel better, wow, chill.

Problem here is you loose the option for on vehicle door storage.
Eh, ok. I remember seeing that was (maybe) confirmed somewhere. But my reaction was "OK, so? give me the slide-out tailgate.

Plus, ok, maybe it's not possible to store all 4 doors, as designed, with the onboard door bags, but I'm not sure we can't figure something else out. Maybe for 2, maybe all 4.

And, even if I can't fit all the doors, it is nowhere near a deal breaker for me (and I bet plenty of people).

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WL74 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Put it this way. If Ford said they were switching to traditional tailgate for MY22, I’d immediately 99 my order to hold out for that option! In fact, I’d go so far as to say I’d even hold out for a MY23 if Ford said they’d do one then. So, yes; I’m a big fan of that style tailgate!

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Put it this way. If Ford said they were switching to traditional tailgate for MY22, I’d immediately 99 my order to hold out for that option! In fact, I’d go so far as to say I’d even hold out for a MY23 if Ford said they’d do one then. So, yes; I’m a big fan of that style tailgate!
Maybe we'll get an aftermarket modification for it.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If the search functions were better maybe, but they’re not great. But in general, hope that made you feel better, wow, chill.
I like how making a valid point without emotion warrants a "chill."

Sorry you'd rather cater to the lazy, helpless, or those who lack self-sufficiency? You can be the librarian of this mess. Idgaf.

And if one can't use the search function, it speaks to their own ineptitude. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sponsored
OP
OP
11Bronco1776

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like how making a valid point without emotion warrants a "chill."

Sorry you'd rather cater to the lazy, helpless, or those who lack self-sufficiency? You can be the librarian of this mess. Idgaf.

And if one can't use the search function, it speaks to their own ineptitude. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ya, I am Definitely lazy, helpless, lack self sufficiency, inept. I do appreciate your time in communicating and giving all of us your thoughts though, as deep and constructive as they are.

Now, my perspective however is that there has been an overall decent conversation going on on this thread. One re-sparked by a fresh post, mine, after a handful of posts from forum members recently describing issues with the current tailgates. The most recent was about the tailgates crumbling. Thought it was a good time to re talk about this and ask a question, open for discussion.

I appreciate the insight I have gained, good, bad, and critical of my etiquette.
Thanks😘

Last edited:

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I use the tailgate on a pickup as a workbench all the time. So the utility of a fold down gate over a sideways one is, for me, far superior. If I'm out dove hunting, I probably would like the tailgate as a seat.

It's not like reaching over a tailgate to the back of the cargo area is a huge reach, the cargo area is barely big enough to fit an ice chest.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Then the obx, base, and wildtrak should have the new one. Let the more utility-focused badlands and black diamond trims have the traditional lol
The tailgate/swing gate option is quite limited due to the removable roof. Please don’t bring up the old Blazers & Broncos with removable roofs w/roll up glass….those tailgates were heavy and the Bronco is already weight challenged

f1loco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger Tremor, Porsche 911SC, Willys CJ-2A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's got to somehow be a mfg cost issue. Look at all the SUV's produced today - I can only think of the full size RangeRover that still uses a real drop tailgate for some odd reason. Even my RR Sport is a full lift. I do wish they'd bring them back as well along with a retractable rear window for those long items at HomeDepot.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The swing out spare tire mount was the cause of fender damage on plenty of 80’s Broncos. Swing out the gate too hard or maybe let go of it on a hill and the fender would crease around the mounts. A proper bumper mounted spare tire mount would be appreciated.

I also wish for a standard tailgate, mainly so I can sit on it at the beach or wherever.
Sponsored