Sponsored

Anyone with MIC check into wrapping top yet?

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Partly due to the top appearance issues being reported and part because I’d want to go white top, I’m curious if anyone who has received their MIC top Bronco has checked into the practicality of doing this. I was thinking I’d have my grill wrapped too and swap to white wheels. Granted, I’m MY22 so I’ll be waiting a while.
Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Partly due to the top appearance issues being reported and part because I’d want to go white top, I’m curious if anyone who has received their MIC top Bronco has checked into the practicality of doing this. I was thinking I’d have my grill wrapped too and swap to white wheels. Granted, I’m MY22 so I’ll be waiting a while.
It will be interesting to see what a technician says whether it can be wrapped. Since it is not a smooth surface, it may not be possible. ??? Suggestion to all; I would not wrap these, paint them, use treatments on them until there is some resolution over the MIC top. Yours may develop an issue....who knows at this point. Then...Ford voids the warranty on it because you did one of the above. I would suggest, leave it alone for a while.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It will be interesting to see what a technician says whether it can be wrapped. Since it is not a smooth surface, it may not be possible. ??? Suggestion to all; I would not wrap these, paint them, use treatments on them until there is some resolution over the MIC top. Yours may develop an issue....who knows at this point. Then...Ford voids the warranty on it because you did one of the above. I would suggest, leave it alone for a while.
Agreed. I already have a body shop buddy ready to go with paint. But if it’s going to fall apart in short time, I’m going to wait and see. Still don’t have mine so who knows if it will even be a factor. I probably won’t get mine until next year anyway. Hopefully they get their shit together by then.
General consensus among wrap guys is that it won’t stick to the MIC textured surface. So I’m putting this idea on hold for mine until I know how Ford is going to handle it.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agreed. I already have a body shop buddy ready to go with paint. But if it’s going to fall apart in short time, I’m going to wait and see. Still don’t have mine so who knows if it will even be a factor. I probably won’t get mine until next year anyway. Hopefully they get their shit together by then.
General consensus among wrap guys is that it won’t stick to the MIC textured surface. So I’m putting this idea on hold for mine until I know how Ford is going to handle it.
Agreed....better safe than sorry...do something to give them an excuse to void warranty work on it. I am waiting for a build date too. Hopefully these MIC issues are resolved very soon. Enjoy the beast when you get it!!!

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agreed....better safe than sorry...do something to give them an excuse to void warranty work on it. I am waiting for a build date too. Hopefully these MIC issues are resolved very soon. Enjoy the beast when you get it!!!
I’m okay with some fit and finish issues until warranty can replace them with perfect panels. But Ford is going to hate me if my build goes that direction. I’m the last person the service department wants doing a final inspection. I’m a body shops worst nightmare. 🤣 Lol

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Okay I'll play the devil's advocate. Say you get your Bronco and the MIC starts to delaminate. You choose not to do anything, worried about voiding the warranty.

A year from now, after Ford has been dangling their continuous carrot and leaving us in the dark, they come out and say that they're not going to replace the top due to cosmetic reasons. So now you have all these months with an exposed core, and ford is not going to replace it?

Sure, it's a top truly falls apart within 3 years 36,000 mi you might be all right. But to leave it exposed hoping that Ford makes it right, seems like a dangerous gamble.

If it truly is cosmetic, I'd probably let it slide. But if I get my top and there's some sort of seems issue, I'm going to figure out a way that I can seal them up even if in a temporary fashion (after documenting it of course).

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just a heads up for painting or wrapping. If you can see surface imperfections on the plain (unpainted/wrapped) surface it will show through to the painted/wrapped surface. It is going to take a fair amount of bodywork to cover that honeycomb pattern. If the stock top is not done shrinking at the time it has been painted/wrapped it will show up eventually. Not knowing the thickness of the base material makes it tough for sanding/blocking.
Sponsored